Far too radical - I know

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Far too radical - I know

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14 am

KHFCmatt wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing this, as I've stated in the match thread - Grimes added nothing to the games against Grimsby and formerly Alty and we seem to be playing a typical lopsided formation with Johnson being our only winger in the starting XI. Grimes did perform better when moved further central in the 2nd half against Alty, however you've got to feel sorry for him as I'm sure 90% of us can see that he's not comfortable there. We have midfielders on the bench that would do a much better job than him in that role.

One of those could be Nicho as he offers us a hell of a lot with his experience and has great delivery, I would be interested to see if he could play this playmaker role. I would love to see Gittings back in the starting XI as I feel he offers us something different to what we've had in the last couple of games and that's someone in the central of midfield that can carry the ball forward, rather than always looking for a pass as soon as they receive it.

Nicho would be a better alternative to Grimes in a similar position as the former enjoys being out on the flank and is comfortable with the ball at his feet - whereas Grimes is constantly wanting to head to a more central position. For what it's worth I would go with a bit of a diamond formation.

Lewis,
Hodgkiss Gowling Dunkley Grimes/Green
Storer
Gittings Nicholson
Johnson(free role)
Gash Reid
An interesting variation on the theme/formation and in some ways from an attacking point of view probably a better concept as it allows Marvin to concentrate on going forward and won't sap his stamina (tracking back to defend), so yes I could see that as the basis for a trial (couple of games).

Grimes has played the role (L/B) pre season and whilst not being a natural (pace) he could probably cope - I think in the final analysis weighing up the defensive negatives against the creative positives, it has to be a consideration. What is an major negative with carrying on with the current set up is the eroding of general team confidence. So why not give it a go ?

I think from the start of the season up to the Southport result the fans were sympathetic towards GW in that he's been dealt a poor hand and had his other hand tired behind his back - as a result most of us were prepared to give the guy the benefit of the doubt as regards tactics and style of play. BUT three defeats in four games has maybe illustrated limitations in his thinking, if it ain't bust then don't fix it could have been his motto early doors, but not now.

On balance I don't think we can be too critical of GW's approach given the circumstances, but I do wonder as to his tactical awareness and methods in getting the best from what he's got at his disposal.

Maybe circumstances (injuries)will force his hand to try something different for Saturday, but I do think he has to change his approach - and I don't mean Blissett as a lone striker.!!!
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:19 am

I'm with mike, I've always thought a 3-5-2 is worth persevering with, though with Grimes crocked it might now be difficult.
Marvo this season has covered defensive duties very well, and with Hodgkiss' lack of pace in comparision strenghens the right side.
It is noticable if Marvo switches to the left how more vunerable we seem on our right.

Asked my Telford contact regarding O Keefe's performance thus far - however he said JOK hasnt had much chance to shine as the rest of the side around him falters.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

auspice
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by auspice » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:44 am

Lewis
Hodgkiss, Gowling, Dunkley, Nicholson
Verma, Storer, Byrne, Gittings
Johnson, Gash

We hardly play with any width at the moment, so let's pack the midfield with the usual suspects in an attempt to retain possession better. The revolutionary bit :lol: is to use Johnson as a central "striker" playing close to and off Gash. He has a tremendous shot, loads of pace etc etc and even scored with a header against Alfreton! I would absolve him of any defensive duties (although he is better at covering back this season) and tell him not to get within 50 yards of Danny Lewis.

For me Reid's overall contribution is modest, and we are entitled to expect more. I was never a fan of Styche when I saw him in an opposition shirt, and I haven't changed my opinion. Blissett started the season really well but quickly lost much confidence with the lack of quality service from midfield and the virtual absence of anything decent coming in from either wing.

Realistically we will do well to remain a mid-table side. I hope there will be no flirtation with the big R. Cue howls of protest from the perpetual, unrealistic optimists on here.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:06 am

auspice wrote:Lewis
Hodgkiss, Gowling, Dunkley, Nicholson
Verma, Storer, Byrne, Gittings
Johnson, Gash

We hardly play with any width at the moment, so let's pack the midfield with the usual suspects in an attempt to retain possession better. The revolutionary bit :lol: is to use Johnson as a central "striker" playing close to and off Gash. He has a tremendous shot, loads of pace etc etc and even scored with a header against Alfreton! I would absolve him of any defensive duties (although he is better at covering back this season) and tell him not to get within 50 yards of Danny Lewis.

For me Reid's overall contribution is modest, and we are entitled to expect more. I was never a fan of Styche when I saw him in an opposition shirt, and I haven't changed my opinion. Blissett started the season really well but quickly lost much confidence with the lack of quality service from midfield and the virtual absence of anything decent coming in from either wing.

Realistically we will do well to remain a mid-table side. I hope there will be no flirtation with the big R. Cue howls of protest from the perpetual, unrealistic optimists on here.

Not sure they exist anymore :lol:

Whilst not disagreeing with your comments (Reid, Blissett & Styche) and I would include Gash as well - the strikers have to be cut some slack when virtually all the supply to them is aerially - Reid & Styche are not equipped for that style of football, sorry - hoofball!
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

vivacollito
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by vivacollito » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Like many on here I dont think Grimes is our answer in centre mid, im getting sick of the constant tinkering with the front 2 every match when they dont perform, but the centre midfield positions remain consistent regardless of how poorly they perform.

We know theres no money to bring anyone in at the moment, so at the risk of sounding tactically narrow minded... is there an argument for keeping it simple? Would it be beyond the realms of reality to play a straight 442 with, (as already stated on this thread) round pegs in round holes....

Lewis
Nicholson, Gowling, Dunkley, Hodgkiss
Verma, Gitto, Storer, Johnson
Reid Gash.

The back 5 pick themselves, centre midfield - Storer breaking up play, Gitto as more of a playmaker. He did so well last season at doing the simple stuff and his passing ability is infinitely better than any of the other centre mids at the moment.

Marvin and Verma give you lots of pace out wide and provide the ammunition, and then Gash as target man, and Reid as poacher upfront. In addition you have Nicho who and Hodgkiss who can link up and over lap with Verma and Johnson....

:wall:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:51 pm

vivacollito wrote:Like many on here I dont think Grimes is our answer in centre mid, im getting sick of the constant tinkering with the front 2 every match when they dont perform, but the centre midfield positions remain consistent regardless of how poorly they perform.

We know theres no money to bring anyone in at the moment, so at the risk of sounding tactically narrow minded... is there an argument for keeping it simple? Would it be beyond the realms of reality to play a straight 442 with, (as already stated on this thread) round pegs in round holes....

Lewis
Nicholson, Gowling, Dunkley, Hodgkiss
Verma, Gitto, Storer, Johnson
Reid Gash.

The back 5 pick themselves, centre midfield - Storer breaking up play, Gitto as more of a playmaker. He did so well last season at doing the simple stuff and his passing ability is infinitely better than any of the other centre mids at the moment.

Marvin and Verma give you lots of pace out wide and provide the ammunition, and then Gash as target man, and Reid as poacher upfront. In addition you have Nicho who and Hodgkiss who can link up and over lap with Verma and Johnson....

:wall:
Once upon a time a very famous football manager once said ",,,,,,,,,,,,,,always play your best team"

Does GW know his best eleven??

Maybe the answer will be this coming Saturday :roll: