31-01-15 Eastleigh (H)

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

31-01-15 Eastleigh (H)

Post by Phil » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:19 am

Time to avenge the FA Cup defeat

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: 31-01-15 Eastleigh (H)

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:47 am

Current form at home would indicate another miserable defeat.

BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that can all change with the return of Captain Fantastic and a change of tactics - playing two strikers.

Wright & Reid together - unlikely I know.

This game could be a watershed for the fans,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :oops2:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:55 am

I see this is as a must-win match. Not in terms of the play-offs, I've never seen that as a realistic target, but in order to stop the rot and crucial for GW to show us he knows what he's doing and where we are going.

I don't want to turn up on Saturday to find us playing one up front again. As the first half at Chester showed, Danny Wright cannot play in that role. Given the players we have I would too opt for Reid alongside him - experience over youth.

Ideally I'd like to see us play with two wide men although that might be asking too much of Wildig and Byrne in the centre (and Reffell looked out of his depth at Chester). Basically we have to start getting balls into the box and scoring goals. Rocket science it ain't.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:09 am

This is likely to be a pretty significant game in terms of our season. We sit in a top 5 place - points on the board and all that but there are 7 teams beneath us with sufficient games in hand to earn the points to drop us to 12th or thereabouts.

Eastleigh with the number of games in hand and the closeness in terms of points will realistically pass us as those games are played but we can impede that progress with a win on Saturday and bearing in mind the significant changes made within our team by the management it is becoming essential that those decisions bear some fruit in terms of results. Away wins at Dartford and Aldershot have been welcome relief to a depressing home form and results but Eastleigh are a different and bigger test for us. Another home defeat will inevitably see the home crowd diminish with the consequence of further financial pressure.

For me (and you may thank God I am not a football manager especially not of KHFC anyway) I would go with two strikers and two wide players - so 4 - 4 - 2. It is essential that we put pressure on the opposition in their box and we have the strikers and wide players to do that so maybe it should be considered as playing to our strengths.

Time will indeed tell.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:54 am

Trying to second guess GW is almost impossible and winning the lottery is probably easier,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

But I think we will be surprised by his team selection for Eastleigh.

When we are all crying out for two strikers - I think GW will surpass all previous known eclectic formulations, AND

Play TWO goal keepers.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rolllaugh:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:09 am

redandwhitemike wrote:Trying to second guess GW is almost impossible and winning the lottery is probably easier,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

When we are all crying out for two strikers - I think GW will surpass all previous known eclectic formulations, AND

As you know only to well I do not know much if anything about football but I think I read somewhere you cannot play two goalkeepers at the same time in the same side but hey - you never know.

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:12 am

Your probably right Mike but which two. My guess Lewis and the new keeper. Cant be Singh he got dropped for keeping our first clean sheet in two months.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:36 am

pershoreharrier wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:Trying to second guess GW is almost impossible and winning the lottery is probably easier,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

As you know only to well I do not know much if anything about football but I think I read somewhere you cannot play two goalkeepers at the same time in the same side but hey - you never know.
Clever clever pershore,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I didn't say that they had to both play in goal :lol:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:51 am

I apologise for my frivolous post earlier, but it is getting a wee bit farcical in terms of what to expect on a Saturday afternoon at 3PM.

I'm as patient as the next man - but I do wonder as to the methodology/tactical acumen being used to produce eleven players good enough to beat what's on the other side of the line.

Notwithstanding the merits of individuals as credited by 'our' experts - I'm struggling to come to term with our manager's methods.

Eastleigh could well be my 'Rubicon' - a dismal defeat and I will regretfully be aligning myself to the group offering to pay for the taxi.

We live in hope of better things, but the suggestion that what is being served up by GW is somehow down to him trying to save money and therefore the club's viability - doesn't wash - the obvious calamitous repercussions of further dire displays will be the fans voting with their feet, that will be the ultimate condemnation of GW's term in office.

As it is, I think the attendance may struggle to match 1500 hardy souls who endured the desperate Cup game against the same opposition.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:03 pm

Nothing to say you can't play a goalie outfield....Stuart Pearce did so at Man City (with David James)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZj7xcehvOU
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:52 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Nothing to say you can't play a goalie outfield....Stuart Pearce did so at Man City (with David James)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZj7xcehvOU

Does not look exactly inspired does it? However, on the basis that all of our strikers this season have disappointed to a greater or lesser degree its Lewis up front on Saturday.

For me this season I have not missed a home game but after quite a few home performances I have lacked the desire to go to many away games yet those away wins have re-ignited the flame of hope that things will get better only to be dashed at the next home game with an uninspiring performance. Marvin has given us the most entertainment in terms of attacking but other sides are now more than aware of his threat and two players put on him as soon as he gets the ball nullifies his threat.

On the basis that we are not winning with either one recognised striker or no recognised striker (whatever is said about Verma I do not consider him to be a striker) SURELY it is time to play two up front and two wide men. If we are beaten then OK but at least we will have some attacking threat and not just fail to even score or look like scoring. If we are going to be beaten then at least make it entertaining and with some hope.

Semper Idem
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Semper Idem » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:55 pm

It'll be interesting to see how many fans turn up for this one, 'Fans Favourite' Storer released and we've lost the last four at home, one hopes we can stop the rot.

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:38 pm

Definitely 4 less than there would have been.

pb12345
1st team
1st team

Post by pb12345 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:13 am

prediction 3-0

Growler back, Wright hat trick

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:54 am