That Bradford fire

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

That Bradford fire

Post by Phil » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:49 pm

If true this is shocking. The insurance companies paid out too :???:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/15/bradford-fire-stafford-heginbotham-martin-fletcher

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: That Bradford fire

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:57 am

Like many, I can remember where I was when I heard about the Bradford fire. 30 years ago…...

As with the Hillsborough disaster, it appears that crucial information is made public after too many years. The chairman died in 1995 so the truth very likely died with him.

In this day and age, with the power of social media, a more investigative media and more freely available information on the internet, it would not be so easy for there to be cover ups or negligence on the part of the authorities. You would hope..
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:07 am

Strangely enough we had a fire awareness course at work last week which featured footage of the Bradford disaster....still very harrowing to watch after all these years.

I'm not so sure of the conspiracy theory though, fires in plastics, linen and woollen industry premises ( as were numerous in Yorkshire) were commonplace back in the day -lots of combustables present.

Linking together companies Heginbotham owned or was "associated with" doesn't really prove anything. Fletcher made the allegations in 2010, a cynic might ask why he's waited until the 30th anniversary this year to publish his findings in a book? Maybe ask his publisher?

In the context of the time Bradford city were about to be promoted and the TV cameras were present so why, if there was indeed an insurance scam, would you burn the place down 40 minutes into a match on such a high profile day?

The judge doesn't think much of the theory, though he doesn't really say why.....http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-32330734
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Hartleburyharrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Hartleburyharrier » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:08 pm

I remember the Bradford fire very well, my main vivid memory of it, is the policeman who ran onto the pitch with his hair on fire, after helping spectators to safety.

As someone has already stated, I can't understand why these allegations are being made now, I just hope that it isn't just to sell more books, because that really would be an insult to those poor victims.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:49 pm

The author lost three of his family in the fire. I don't think he's making money or insulting the dead off the back of that

Hartleburyharrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Hartleburyharrier » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Phil wrote:The author lost three of his family in the fire. I don't think he's making money or insulting the dead off the back of that

Apologies, I had no idea that the author had lost family members, I should have read the article before commenting.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Having had dealings with publishers and the way they work I'm afraid the cynic in me still asks the question of the publisher (rather than the author).

Fletcher's book is published by Bloomsbury Publishing, Chairman Sir Anthony Salz; who is on the board of Trustees who own The Guardian, who happen to be serialising the story.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Harty
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Harty » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:06 pm

Its just PR to sell a book....Or more over a grieving relative with a large axe to grind.
The stand wasn't insured, it had been condemned and a demolition company were due to start ripping it down on the Monday! I really don't see how or why anyone would deliberately set fire to it and put all those lives at risk. Its a miracle more didn't die. Just think what would of happened it had been penned in like Hillsborough and many other grounds at the time..

Re Higginbotham....He claimed at the time it was 'impossible' to remove all the rubbish that had collected underneath. Rather more shockingly he also stated he felt no guilt whatsoever....

It should also be noted that Fletcher took Bradford City to court for damages in 1987.

Rather interesting website here. All links down the right hand side of the page.
http://bradfordcityfire.co.uk/2015/03/06/court-transcript-fletcher-and-others-v-bradford-city-football-club-and-others-23021987/
Harriersfansteam.co.uk