Non so fickle as Premiership clubs

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Non so fickle as Premiership clubs

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:02 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:He deserved to be sacked a month ago. They've been awful, just because he won the league why should he be allowed to steer them towards relegation?

The only bizarre thing was the timing of it; they were obviously giving him the Champions League game to make their minds up, and I expected him to be sacked if they lost 3 or 4 nil, but the result they got was actually fairly positive, so it seems odd for him to be gone after that.

The media are suggesting the Thai owners told Ranieri he was sacked BEFORE the Sevilla game whilst the team were at the airport !!

Maybe it was ''Fake News'' :roll:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Lovejoy wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
pricey5 wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:I tend to side with Mystic.

I'm not convinced Claudio would have turned Leicester around - if he was going to do it, they wouldn't be on the edge of the precipice at this stage of the season.

I think he was very fortunate that he took over a very good team from Nigel Pearson and he freely admitted at the start of last season that he wouldn't be tinkering too much with what was a great side.

The other consideration was the players Ranieri brought to LCFC - none of them really improved on what he already had, which in itself was a negative.
The players have to take some of the blame, for sure - but ultimately The Tinker man had lost his touch.
Apart from N'golo Kante, probably the signing of the season.
Don`t think he did bring in those players. From what i`ve heard it was Steve Walsh, now at Everton i believe, who was responsible for tracking down players.

Drinkwater was as good IMO - though Kante is a better player in the Chelsea side - the new Claude Makalele in the making.
You can add Mahrez to that list too, he ain't no slouch. :D

So all in all Ranieri did bring in some very good players.

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:45 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
pricey5 wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:I tend to side with Mystic.

I'm not convinced Claudio would have turned Leicester around - if he was going to do it, they wouldn't be on the edge of the precipice at this stage of the season.

I think he was very fortunate that he took over a very good team from Nigel Pearson and he freely admitted at the start of last season that he wouldn't be tinkering too much with what was a great side.

The other consideration was the players Ranieri brought to LCFC - none of them really improved on what he already had, which in itself was a negative.
The players have to take some of the blame, for sure - but ultimately The Tinker man had lost his touch.
Apart from N'golo Kante, probably the signing of the season.
Drinkwater was as good IMO - though Kante is a better player in the Chelsea side - the new Claude Makalele in the making.
Kante made Drinkwater look good, we've seen this season how average Drinkwater is without a world class player like Kante alongside him.

georged123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by georged123 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:32 am

I feel for Claudio, he comes across as such a likeable person but if he has lost the dressing room then I can see why the board feel they needed to get rid even though it comes across as extremely harsh.

Losing Kante was a massive blow, he is such a phenomenal player who lifted many players around him.

I think its also obvious that a lot of that team are very average players who just had an amazing season. Morgan, Huth, Simpson, Drinkwater, Albrighton etc.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:48 am

In a strange way this season's results make his achievement last season even greater.

People talk about the 5,000/1 odds. Forget that figure. They won the league by 10 POINTS. If you had asked a bookie for odds on that happening at the start of last season and you might have got 50,000/1.

And, Chelsea are 10 points clear this year. Where's Kante?
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I see Drinkwater has scored a wonder goal for Leicester,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Errrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmm
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:01 am

redandwhitemike wrote:I see Drinkwater has scored a wonder goal for Leicester,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Errrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmm
Only taken him 6 months to turn up this season... :lol: :lol:

georged123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by georged123 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:11 am

I don't really see the logic that if a player scores a goal that immediately proves they are a good player.

Next time Andre or Mani score then that must mean our goal scoring problem is sorted for good?

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:36 am

Next time Andre or Mani score then that must mean our goal scoring problem is sorted for good?
What goal scoring problem? :D
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022