Mark Yates returns......

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

lancaster71
Youth team
Youth team

Re: Mark Yates returns......

Post by lancaster71 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Grenoble Harrier wrote:Good news in my opinion. The negativity on this forum is staggering. Personally am happy that Yates is back with the KHFC. Who knows, perhaps this is the start of something great...

:like: :like:

georged123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by georged123 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:32 pm

CG has run a very successful sports management business for a long time. He understands finances and budgets especially in the football industry.

I simply don't understand why some people think the club are spending beyond their means or being reckless with money given everything the chairman has said and done in the past.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:53 am

I worry about finances all the time. And if anyone has any solid information that the club are accruing debts then they need to speak up. Its hard to really know, even when KHIST were on the board it is all opaque. And really, is that unusual? Its a business and unless you are a shareholder you don't usually get to see the ins and outs each month. Even when you speak to someone who "knows" or has spoken to someone etc etc. I've heard many tales of impending doom over the years only for most of it not to happen. So yes, the negativity is annoying but I do have sympathies with those who worry about money.

I would doubt we have any money saved/in the bank. I would imagine there have (and will be) some months when they are sweating over the wage bill, VAT etc. And I know some have questioned some of the spending (overnight stops, technical coaches etc). The club will (and have in the last 12-24 months) probably make mistakes, lost money (Oktoberfest I heard...) etc but I suppose most businesses do at some point. Some you win, some you lose. Just don't gamble what you can't afford to lose....

auspice
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by auspice » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:54 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:
koro wrote:A bit of insurance, should JE move on ?
My thoughts exactly and indeed what a contrast in playing styles assuming Yates has not moved on in that aspect since he was with us. However, I am sure he will have adopted the 'playing the right way style' before taking up his post.
I bet raising this thread again has had a few folk opening it rapidly :yay: .

Before this season is a complete write-off and/or flirtation with relegation to the Northern (or Southern) Premier, let's get in a pragmatic, proven manager who will and can do the necessary to get us out of this dreadful league.

I don't recall being bored when Martin Britton was supplying crosses for the likes of James Constable, Iyseden Christie etc or when Russ Penn was giving 110% in midfield. Barcelona-style and the subtleties of the National League North are hardly suitable bed-fellows.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:02 pm

The likes of Russ Penn and Mark Creighton wouldn't have got intimidated by the likes of Chorley either. :cool:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

kiddy guy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by kiddy guy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:10 pm

True but you're forgetting the absolute dross served up by Yates over years. How many promotions or playoffs did he get us to.

If we're talking proven managers let's get one who's actually achieved something.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:32 pm

kiddy guy wrote:True but you're forgetting the absolute dross served up by Yates over years. How many promotions or playoffs did he get us to.

If we're talking proven managers let's get one who's actually achieved something.
Welcome back Sir Steve of Burr, all is forgiven :worthy: :twisted:

The point made earlier is absolutely right. The 4-3-3 tactic is embedded within the club throughout the levels, as described by Colin as the Kidderminster Way. It isn't for changing or for altering. If Eustace were to go, and I think it's increasingly likely that he won't last the season, Colin would bring in another manager who would play the way he wanted to continue the footballing identity for the product.

Yates would be far too headstrong, and I can't see him playing 4-3-3 in the academy style for long if it wasn't working.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:04 pm

IF Eustace were ever to be sacked in the next few months, Marcus Bignot surely has to be the first name to call? : phone_2 :

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:26 am

Guys, he hasn't gone anywhere yet.....a more apt discussion for the time when/if it happens..... :shock:

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:53 am

harry211 wrote:
kiddy guy wrote:True but you're forgetting the absolute dross served up by Yates over years. How many promotions or playoffs did he get us to.

Welcome back Sir Steve of Burr, all is forgiven :worthy: :twisted:

The point made earlier is absolutely right. The 4-3-3 tactic is embedded within the club throughout the levels, as described by Colin as the Kidderminster Way. It isn't for changing or for altering. If Eustace were to go, and I think it's increasingly likely that he won't last the season, Colin would bring in another manager who would play the way he wanted to continue the footballing identity for the product.

Yates would be far too headstrong, and I can't see him playing 4-3-3 in the academy style for long if it wasn't working.
Surely Yates would be then sacked for not towing the company line?

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:43 am

Harrier1994 wrote:IF Eustace were ever to be sacked in the next few months, Marcus Bignot surely has to be the first name to call? : phone_2 :

Chance missed :crying:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:49 am

Has anyone watched the U23s? If all the Harriers teams are playing the same way then surely Yatesy is no different. It's not the Yatesy I remember I must admit but then he's not a first team manager any more.

Lovejoy
1st team
1st team

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Seems a bit of a strange appointment, Yates was never one for the tippy, tappy passing game and if the club ethos is to play the same way throughout all levels then either Mark has to change his ways or he was only added to the payroll to keep the current management set up on their toes.
Since his arrival it all seems to have gone rather quiet getting barely a mention on the official site.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Seems a bit of a strange appointment, Yates was never one for the tippy, tappy passing game and if the club ethos is to play the same way throughout all levels then either Mark has to change his ways or he was only added to the payroll to keep the current management set up on their toes.
Since his arrival it all seems to have gone rather quiet getting barely a mention on the official site.
Yatesy is one of those managers who has -through circumstances- had to utilise tactics that make the most of limited resources. He did okay with us and steadied the ship at Cheltenham after Martin Allen's disasterous tenure.
He wasnt a 'route one' merchant with us by any means- we had attacking full backs like Lee baker and 'proper' wingers like Martin Britton....and 'proper' strikers like James Constable. :;

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 am

Some career stats:

Eustace (63 games I think):
Win percentage = 52%
Loss percentage = 34% (and rising)

Yates (520 games):
Win percentage = 38%
Loss percentage = 37%

Some things to consider. Eustace inherited a side that were good enough for the conference. Yates inhereted a Watkiss squad that were facing relagation and steadied the ship. Now a new season has started with new players Eustace is learnign that this management business is not as easy as it may have seemed after beating Curzon Ashton 6-1 last year.

Yates got Cheltenham to the play offs in Lg2 twice and got us to the FA trophy final and narrowly missed out on the play offs in the conference (IIRC - Kettering on the final day). He had a difficult season in charge of relegated Crawley that affected the above stats by about 1% to the negative.

Looking at the stats - you would think that Eustace could do with some time in charge of the academy to cut his teeth.