The November SOTN

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Mrs Waggy
Reserves
Reserves

Re: The November SOTN

Post by Mrs Waggy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:47 pm

Having a spare moment, I listened to the latest bulletin hoping for something new. Although Gordon spoke at length he in fact said very little. I think he was also a little out in his demographics with regard to how many former players are now “watchers”. That said, it matters little if anyone has never kicked a ball in anger; it’s still obvious when a mistake is made both on, and sometimes off, the field of play. We are not all dullards. He did tend to meander between short- and long-term policies, his confidence unshakeable. However, there was still no concrete news as to how his move to pastures new is to be funded. I would think his search for worthy sponsors will have to come from beyond our shores. His analogy of film makers and us, the “audience”, brought a smile. He mentioned Bambi amongst his favourites. I just hope Walter Mitty isn’t on his list.

What was perfectly plain was that he’s firmly nailed his colours to the mast of his ship of ambition. Whether or not he can raise a crew is another matter. There are times when he strikes me as being akin to Trump - it’s his way or the highway. As far as the art of alienating people goes, he could give lessons. This latest edition will no doubt produce posts of a more Cassandrine nature. Truth be told I have a sneaking admiration for a rebel (with or without a cause) to go against the “establishment”. In this foray, its effect is creating division when it is essential to garner unity. Like or loath Gordon, he’s the man in charge very much tied into Harriers and our future; as such, his way of seeking success, for me, needs a rethink. It’s said that “a man’s reach should exceed his grasp”; in this instance, grasp and reach should be in tandem.

For what it’s worth I don’t see myself upping roots for greener grass, but as I’ve said elsewhere, if that’s what it takes to secure our club’s existence, so be it.
The older I get, the better I was.

georged123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by georged123 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:43 pm

CG getting compared to Robert Mugabe now. :rolllaugh:

The only cult I see is that of KHIST who seem to be portrayed as totally innocent and incapable of ever doing anything wrong.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:05 am

Waggy wrote:Having a spare moment, I listened to the latest bulletin hoping for something new. Although Gordon spoke at length he in fact said very little. I think he was also a little out in his demographics with regard to how many former players are now “watchers”. That said, it matters little if anyone has never kicked a ball in anger; it’s still obvious when a mistake is made both on, and sometimes off, the field of play. We are not all dullards. He did tend to meander between short- and long-term policies, his confidence unshakeable. However, there was still no concrete news as to how his move to pastures new is to be funded. I would think his search for worthy sponsors will have to come from beyond our shores. His analogy of film makers and us, the “audience”, brought a smile. He mentioned Bambi amongst his favourites. I just hope Walter Mitty isn’t on his list.

What was perfectly plain was that he’s firmly nailed his colours to the mast of his ship of ambition. Whether or not he can raise a crew is another matter. There are times when he strikes me as being akin to Trump - it’s his way or the highway. As far as the art of alienating people goes, he could give lessons. This latest edition will no doubt produce posts of a more Cassandrine nature. Truth be told I have a sneaking admiration for a rebel (with or without a cause) to go against the “establishment”. In this foray, its effect is creating division when it is essential to garner unity. Like or loath Gordon, he’s the man in charge very much tied into Harriers and our future; as such, his way of seeking success, for me, needs a rethink. It’s said that “a man’s reach should exceed his grasp”; in this instance, grasp and reach should be in tandem.

For what it’s worth I don’t see myself upping roots for greener grass, but as I’ve said elsewhere, if that’s what it takes to secure our club’s existence, so be it.
Waggy

Your depth of knowledge and general learning would indicate a level well above us mortals - I'm not sure I'm qualified to reply, and that's not a criticism !!

:worthy:

I had to look up your reference to 'Cassandra' - Greek mythology is a bit deep for this message board and I'm sure would be way over most heads including the one it was applied to !!! But how appropriate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Often portrayed as tragic and insane, Cassandra that is - good job it's just mythology :lol:

Wish you would post your thoughts more often - I do enjoy the alternative view.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 am

It seems my contribution to the debate has been misunderstood or wilfully misrepresented by some. At no point did I compare Mr Gordon to Mugabe. I merely asked that he should learn the lesson of how power can create tyranny if it is not kept in check. I was merely using a topical example to make the point. Sorry if this was misleading. As for KHIST I am sure they are not perfect. I have yet to meet anyone who is.

My point was rather that people in positions of power can only succeed if they listen and compromise. Going your own way and not taking the whole organisation with you can only end in tears. I am sorry if I didn't make my point clear.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 am

What we individually think of CG and the direction he's going is well documented on here, but we all had enough of the worst case scenario (see previous admins, particularly under Rae) where the club drifted aimlessly while holding the begging bowl out.
We simply could not carry on like that.
Personally I think the jury is still out on Flash's future vision for the club but at least there is a defined direction -whether you agree with it or not is a personal choice.

I recall a comment by one of my musical idols of yesteryear; rock vocalist Ronnie James Dio, who summed these situations up succinctly (and applies to a football club as much as a rock band) ;

"I had to take control, become a benevolent dictator and make the tough decisions; because if I didn't we would have become an " I don't know" band; and "I don't know" bands go absolutely nowhere."
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 am

garthrockett wrote:What we individually think of CG and the direction he's going is well documented on here, but we all had enough of the worst case scenario (see previous admins, particularly under Rae) where the club drifted aimlessly while holding the begging bowl out.
We simply could not carry on like that.
Personally I think the jury is still out on Flash's future vision for the club but at least there is a defined direction -whether you agree with it or not is a personal choice.

I recall a comment by one of my musical idols of yesteryear; rock vocalist Ronnie James Dio, who summed these situations up succinctly (and applies to a football club as much as a rock band) ;

"I had to take control, become a benevolent dictator and make the tough decisions; because if I didn't we would have become an " I don't know" band; and "I don't know" bands go absolutely nowhere."
:like: :like: