Play-offs

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Play-offs

Post by Krasnyi » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:10 am

This new play-off process confuses me - have I got this right?

If it finished as it stands now:

First Round
Blyth v. Spennymoor
Harriers v. York.

Let's say Blyth and Harriers win.

Semi-final:
Harrogate v. Harriers
Brackley v. Blyth

Final - at ground of club who finished highest?

All fixtures - one game only.

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: Play-offs

Post by Harry Err » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:20 pm

Krasnyi wrote:This new play-off process confuses me - have I got this right?

First Round
Blyth v. Spennymoor
Harriers v. York.

Semi-final:
Harrogate v. Harriers
Brackley v. Blyth

That's spot on. It shows why we need to finish as high as possible to get the best chance of winning the play offs. I think it's a really good way to do it as every place higher gives an advantage so something to play for right until the last day of the season.

Even finishing 4th instead of 5th is a possible advantage as you are more likely to get a home final if you make it that far than if you come 5th as the final is 3rd, 4th or 7th v 2nd, 5th or 6th so 2 chances to be in the final vs a lower team if you are 4th but if you are 5th the only way you can get a home final is if the 7th place side make the final having win away at 4th and 3rd which seems unlikely.

I think it will be hard but obviously not impossible for any side 4th or below to win the play offs in any league using this system.

Charlie Sheen

Post by Charlie Sheen » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:47 pm

Harry Err wrote:
Krasnyi wrote:This new play-off process confuses me - have I got this right?

First Round
Blyth v. Spennymoor
Harriers v. York.

Semi-final:
Harrogate v. Harriers
Brackley v. Blyth

That's spot on. It shows why we need to finish as high as possible to get the best chance of winning the play offs. I think it's a really good way to do it as every place higher gives an advantage so something to play for right until the last day of the season.

Even finishing 4th instead of 5th is a possible advantage as you are more likely to get a home final if you make it that far than if you come 5th as the final is 3rd, 4th or 7th v 2nd, 5th or 6th so 2 chances to be in the final vs a lower team if you are 4th but if you are 5th the only way you can get a home final is if the 7th place side make the final having win away at 4th and 3rd which seems unlikely.

I think it will be hard but obviously not impossible for any side 4th or below to win the play offs in any league using this system.
While I respect this system is fairer to the better team and there is more incentive to finish as high up the table as possible, surely with the strength of this division now, this league should be moving on from just playing the final 'at the highest placed club'. I remember pointing this out towards the end of last season. Since then, York have come into the fray as well, yet it appears the protocol regarding the venue of the final remains the same. It's not a dog and duck league anymore; but a serious, proper league with spades of quality.

How are they working it in the level above (National League)? Because as far as I'm aware, they've expanded the play-off positions there from 2-7 as well. Are they still playing the final there at Wembley despite the relatively much smaller gap between the two divisions now?

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:13 am

I believe it is the same system in all National League divisions.

While it may be a fairer system in terms of recognising league position, it also removes the organisers apparent problem of finding a ground to host the final.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mystic » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 am

I really like the system as it rewards the team who has done better over a full season and, to a certain extent, would probably limit teams like Wrexham doing what they did in 2013 and resting players to settle for 5th place. If you finished 7th you should have a hard time getting promoted as the 2nd best team in the league.

Given that the Conference leagues don't have the ability to sell TV rights for vast sums of money or fill a big ground, having the final at the home ground of the team that finished highest is a good idea in my opinion.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Mystic wrote:I really like the system as it rewards the team who has done better over a full season and, to a certain extent, would probably limit teams like Wrexham doing what they did in 2013 and resting players to settle for 5th place. If you finished 7th you should have a hard time getting promoted as the 2nd best team in the league.

Given that the Conference leagues don't have the ability to sell TV rights for vast sums of money or fill a big ground, having the final at the home ground of the team that finished highest is a good idea in my opinion.
Agree 100%
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Post by centreforeword » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Does the home team keep all of the gate receipts?

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:21 pm

After Saturday's result I think most would accept that the title is beyond Harriers now, had we have taken three points the momentum would have propelled the team on and given added confidence that the dream was still alive.

The question now is, do we believe third spot is achievable - I think it's possible but only if Brackley somehow contrive to throw it away - April 2nd home game against them, will I feel determine who wins that prize - but I'm sure they know that too.

Just hope we don't get a rerun of Saturday.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:38 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Mystic wrote:I really like the system as it rewards the team who has done better over a full season and, to a certain extent, would probably limit teams like Wrexham doing what they did in 2013 and resting players to settle for 5th place. If you finished 7th you should have a hard time getting promoted as the 2nd best team in the league.

Agree 100%
ditto