The battle for seventh..

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Re: The battle for seventh..

Post by centreforeword » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:50 pm

So Spennymoor drawing with Ferriby makes it v interesting.

The first named winning team in the following list in order now qualifies for the play offs:

BPA
Spennymoor
Blyth
York

If we beat BPA then one of the other teams if they win will qualify.
Last edited by centreforeword on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:10 pm

centreforeword wrote:So Spennymoor drawing with Ferriby makes it v interesting.

The first named winning team in the following list in order now qualifies for the play offs:

BPA
Spennymoor
Blyth
York

If we beat or draw with BPA then one of the other teams if they win will qualify.
Spennymoor have blown it big time. Can't see them beating Southport now. Bradford have been on a very good run of late so I think we need to be playing our strongest team on Saturday to lower our chances of being beaten by them and then having to face them again four days later.

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 pm

centreforeword wrote:So Spennymoor drawing with Ferriby makes it v interesting.

BPA
Spennymoor
Blyth
York

If we beat or draw with BPA then one of the other teams if they win will qualify.
BPA 60 pts GD +9
Spenny 60 pts GD +3
Blyth 58 pts GD +7
York 58 pts GD +5

Therefore a draw for BPA on Saturday would see them finish ahead of Blyth & York if Blyth won by less than 2 goals or York by less than 4 goals, I think.

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:24 pm

I said a couple of weeks ago to my brother that i fancied BPA for play offs by virtue of spennymoor run catching up with them. Certainly makes Saturday all the more interesting
He who dares...wins

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Over the last third of the season, Blythe, York and Spennymoor have all been on relegation form. It would be preferable to have any one of these on Wednesday over BPA, but Bradford are in the driving seat. Even a draw is likely to be enough for them, and even if we win they could still finish 7th!

Personally I would prefer to go for the win and hope one of the others gets their act together for one game. But the risk of injuries from a meaningless game is real. I think we'll learn a lot about Eustace from how he approaches this one. I expect the mind games will be more interesting than the football.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:57 pm

I could see Spennymoor, Blyth and York all losing on Saturday. All of them are in very poor form.

If we bust a gut on Saturday, beat BPA and then BPA still get 7th, it could really come back to haunt us on Wednesday. I reckon we just have to rest players and hope that our weakened team can beat them or draw with them. After that it's up to one of the other teams to get a result.

One very good thing is that we get to take a look at the way BPA play, at full strength, on Saturday. If we play them again on Wednesday then that has to be very useful information.

Lovejoy
1st team
1st team

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:43 pm

One thing is being overlooked here, and that is that BPA have to win to make sure of 7th.
So they are likely to be attack minded and fairly open and that my fellow Harriers fans could be their downfall!
When teams come on to us we play at our best and whatever team we put out I'd be confident of a win, on the other hand if BPA choose to keep it tight then that is when we struggle. We still haven't got the nous to break these sides down and we could get turned over.
Just my twopenneth worth.
Saturday is going to be interesting but whatever the result on the day we are guaranteed a game on Wednesday and I bet BPA, Spennymoor, Blyth, York or Boston wish they were in our position.
Pressure is all on them, not us.
:comeonharriers2: