Monica Shafaq

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Monica Shafaq

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:11 pm

She has been appointed as a director on the board of trustees the PFA according to yesterday’s The Times. Apparently, she will sit alongside Gordon Taylor, Brendan Batson and Garth Crooks.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Monica Shafaq

Post by harry211 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:06 pm

How is Gordon Taylor STILL there?!
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:32 pm

harry211 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:06 pm
Jason 'pineapple head' Lee wants his job doesn't he?

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:06 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:11 pm
She has been appointed as a director on the board of trustees the PFA according to yesterday’s The Times. Apparently, she will sit alongside Gordon Taylor, Brendan Batson and Garth Crooks.
Isn't she something to do with the Premier League too

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:10 pm

harry211 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:06 pm
Connected to a machine similar to Stavros, leader of the Daleks.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:51 pm

"A nuclear apocalypse has wiped out the entire population of the earth. Cockroaches roam large parts of its expanse. There is little sign of life."

"Gordon Taylor still remains at the PFA."
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:04 pm

harry211 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:51 pm
"A nuclear apocalypse has wiped out the entire population of the earth. Cockroaches roam large parts of its expanse. There is little sign of life."

"Gordon Taylor still remains at the PFA."
Ensuring his salary is secure....

muse_harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by muse_harrier » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:18 pm

The PFA board ticking all the boxes to be all inclusive.
A shame that Monica and the KHFC board cant be more inclusive towards KHIST.

GloucesterHarrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by GloucesterHarrier » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:43 am

muse_harrier wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:18 pm
What a poor comment. Mental Health in Football and in the community as a whole is a hugely important topic and therefore it makes perfect sense to have someone well connected with Football and a Mental Health charity at the top table of the PFA.

Jasper
1st team
1st team

Post by Jasper » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:49 am

GloucesterHarrier wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:43 am
muse_harrier wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:18 pm
What a poor comment. Mental Health in Football and in the community as a whole is a hugely important topic and therefore it makes perfect sense to have someone well connected with Football and a Mental Health charity at the top table of the PFA.
Can't agree more. With an issue so close to my heart, it's such an insensitive comment.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:48 am

Having the Chief Executive on the Board of Trustees seems ridiculous.

His pay is ridiculous. His successor will likely get about a quarter of what he gets.

But a bit of digging shows this is just the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/commission-opens-statutory-inquiry-into-the-professional-footballers-association-charity

Not sure it should be a 'charity' anyway.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

North Stand Ultra
Reserves
Reserves

Post by North Stand Ultra » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:04 am

You do wonder though if a lot of organisations within the game are reacting to the overall clamour to be politically correct.

SKY sports and the Daily Mail have broke their respective necks to flush out the old guard and replace them with either male BAME or women.
Paul Walsh was interviewed last week and said he knew he was going to get the push from SKY due to the rush to show political correctness and that the chances are he would be replaced by someone of BAME.

Micah Richards is the luckiest guy in the modern media, he is nowhere near the most articulate of characters, yet has become a resident on MOTD and has his own column in the Daily Mail. Surely a case of being in the right game at the right time?

My own issue with Monica Shafaq is that she preaches openness and inclusivity whenever the opportunity presents itself yet continues to bait KHIST and attempts to marginalise them whenever the opportunity presents itself through the football clubs website?

Why does she continue with this rhetoric?

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:03 pm

North Stand Ultra wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:04 am

My own issue with Monica Shafaq is that she preaches openness and inclusivity whenever the opportunity presents itself yet continues to bait KHIST and attempts to marginalise them whenever the opportunity presents itself through the football clubs website?
That in a nutshell is my concern - I can only assume that at KHFC she is restricted in what she can say and therefore is only a mouthpiece of those to whom she is answerable. Being constrained in such a way is not something that would sit well with many people's strongly held beliefs.

GloucesterHarrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by GloucesterHarrier » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:47 pm

North Stand Ultra wrote:

You do wonder though if a lot of organisations within the game are reacting to the overall clamour to be politically correct.

SKY sports and the Daily Mail have broke their respective necks to flush out the old guard and replace them with either male BAME or women.
Paul Walsh was interviewed last week and said he knew he was going to get the push from SKY due to the rush to show political correctness and that the chances are he would be replaced by someone of BAME.

Micah Richards is the luckiest guy in the modern media, he is nowhere near the most articulate of characters, yet has become a resident on MOTD and has his own column in the Daily Mail. Surely a case of being in the right game at the right time?

There's a lot of things going on here; my reply was particularly aimed at suggesting it's a tick box exercise. My opinion is that the strongest candidate should be selected for a given role and I dare say the PFA have identified that Mental Health is a massive issue and therefore looked to work with someone with the relevant experience and connections to suit the role, which Monica clearly has.

Micah Richards polarises opinions but so do many pundits, Micah offers a completely different style attitude and view point to his double act in Roy Keane; MOTD have had Ian Wright appearing since 2015 so I don't think Micah's appointment is due to BAME representation, perhaps that he just offers a different dynamic to what MOTD has already.

I'm not a fan of how the club have interacted with KHIST but this is two organisations we're talking about here, not individuals, the stance from the club seems to be clear that they will not accept money collected from fans in exchange for shares, especially at a time when the club are looking to rely on the goodwill of fans to help keep things going - if there's no give on that point alone, I'm assuming the club are wondering what (if anything) KHIST does for the club.

North Stand Ultra
Reserves
Reserves

Post by North Stand Ultra » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:34 pm

GloucesterHarrier wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:47 pm
North Stand Ultra wrote:

There's a lot of things going on here; my reply was particularly aimed at suggesting it's a tick box exercise. My opinion is that the strongest candidate should be selected for a given role and I dare say the PFA have identified that Mental Health is a massive issue and therefore looked to work with someone with the relevant experience and connections to suit the role, which Monica clearly has.

Micah Richards polarises opinions but so do many pundits, Micah offers a completely different style attitude and view point to his double act in Roy Keane; MOTD have had Ian Wright appearing since 2015 so I don't think Micah's appointment is due to BAME representation, perhaps that he just offers a different dynamic to what MOTD has already.

I'm not a fan of how the club have interacted with KHIST but this is two organisations we're talking about here, not individuals, the stance from the club seems to be clear that they will not accept money collected from fans in exchange for shares, especially at a time when the club are looking to rely on the goodwill of fans to help keep things going - if there's no give on that point alone, I'm assuming the club are wondering what (if anything) KHIST does for the club.

KHIST can only help the football club if the football club allow them to.

Does anyone have an update on if the club have agreed to meet with them when the world goes back to normal?