Next seasons manager

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Next seasons manager

Post by harry211 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:55 pm

Not to relitigate this season - but from what I saw early on Leesley was fairly average and his lack of pace at this level was a severe undoing. Let's not get carried away about his impact in particular.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:08 pm

Edgar T Peaceful wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:33 pm
Grenoble Harrier wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:46 am
Sounds to me then that we've been trying to compete in the league above with an inferior XI compared to last season's XI. That's quite unbelievable if so, and says a lot about last summer's recruitment fiasco.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Morrison, with a fit Leesley and Byrne in midfield, coupled with AMS and Hemmo up front scoring goals. This season was a downgrade on that.
Tend to agree with this though we have a good defensive record, so our demise is mainly down to losing Byrne & Leesley this season.

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:16 pm

harry211 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:55 pm
Not to relitigate this season - but from what I saw early on Leesley was fairly average and his lack of pace at this level was a severe undoing. Let's not get carried away about his impact in particular.
He was our best player for a good stretch. I'm not sure you saw enough of him.
Sam

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:13 am

harry211 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:55 pm
I wouldnt say average, but a few games before his injury he often cut a very frustrated figure, often complaining at referees etc, and his performances did drop a little then but wouldn't say average at all. If any midfielder worth their salt was playing with the likes of Ox, Lissimore, Brown, McGuire then yeah I doubt it would bring out the best in them.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 pm

I think Lambert has a lot to prove next season.

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:20 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 pm
I think Lambert has a lot to prove next season.
Agree 100%. We have quite a few players who look good in the middle of the pitch but when it comes to the crucial final third at both ends, are very poor. That being either creative, clinical or the desire to put their body on the line. I would certainly add Robinson and Brown to that list with Lambert if they are kept on.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:52 pm

I think we will see players who haven't made a significant impact last season be decent / key players for us next season.
Gold Philips Lambert Ox Brown all fall into that bracket. There is obviously a gap between the two leagues and like we see with many teams relegated from the Premier League into the Championship, some players in those teams become key in their assault back into the Premier League.
We do need to look further forward as ideally dont want to be in the position of completely revamping the front 2/3 in fear they wont be good enough again for the NL should we go straight back up.

WorcesterHarrier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by WorcesterHarrier » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 pm

Need another striker not Phillips neither o'connor/Penn or brown/mcdonald rate him need to sign someone other than gold just send gold out on loan for a season lambert great player, don't rate brown , ox is worth keeping yes but need to keep dibble and hemmings and Byrne and pearce

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:03 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:43 pm
(And if you want to "do the maths" re: the Rushall manager, surely you have to consider the lack of resources at his disposal at a village club that's reached the highest level in its existence).
And that's the huge risk all club owners in our position have to consider; hoping a 'Rushall type' manager will become proportionately more successful the more financial budget he has at his disposal.
I only wish it were that easy........ :roll:
He's been successful at every level & knows the level we'll be playing at. You'd think that counts for something.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:16 pm

PB comes across as a good bloke & has had success as a manager at much higher level than us so can`t argue about his ability. But concerned at the financial situation if he is appointed, especially as apparently he is mates with Dean Holdsworth (from what i have read on this forum). He doesn`t live locally & has commented before about the distances he has to travel. We need someone within a reasonable distance who knows the division, can scout & work late or whatever the job needs & who really values their opportunity at Harriers. Can`t see PB putting up with an overly disjointed lifestyle for our relatively small club.

Also, he failed to do the job he was brought in to do (i really haven`t seen a marked change in performances over those of RP, the 4 successive wins at the start now seem ancient history) with one game left to play.

No idea who i would appoint & a further concern is who does Richard Lane look to to get advice? Appointing a manager is far more difficult than appointing players, sometimes things just click into place, other times not. But whoever is appointed needs the budget for good enough players.

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 pm

Medieval wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:16 pm
PB comes across as a good bloke & has had success as a manager at much higher level than us so can`t argue about his ability. But concerned at the financial situation if he is appointed, especially as apparently he is mates with Dean Holdsworth (from what i have read on this forum). He doesn`t live locally & has commented before about the distances he has to travel. We need someone within a reasonable distance who knows the division, can scout & work late or whatever the job needs & who really values their opportunity at Harriers. Can`t see PB putting up with an overly disjointed lifestyle for our relatively small club.

Also, he failed to do the job he was brought in to do (i really haven`t seen a marked change in performances over those of RP, the 4 successive wins at the start now seem ancient history) with one game left to play.

No idea who i would appoint & a further concern is who does Richard Lane look to to get advice? Appointing a manager is far more difficult than appointing players, sometimes things just click into place, other times not. But whoever is appointed needs the budget for good enough players.
:like: :like:

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:53 pm

We need someone within a reasonable distance who knows the division, can scout & work late or whatever the job needs & who really values their opportunity at Harriers. Can`t see PB putting up with an overly disjointed lifestyle for our relatively small club.
I was under the impression following the Phil Brown Q&A that we will have a new chief scout shortly, and with Holdsworth as Director of Football the scouting and working late/disjointed lifestyle may not therefore be an issue?
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:10 pm

How often is Brown at the club? Is he up five days a week plus matchday? I noticed the prematch interviews are now on Thursday rather than Friday. Would Holdsworth be more involved with first team affairs?

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:19 pm

harry211 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:10 pm
How often is Brown at the club? Is he up five days a week plus matchday? I noticed the prematch interviews are now on Thursday rather than Friday. Would Holdsworth be more involved with first team affairs?
Was about to post something similar.

Brown, Holdsworth, McDonald, new scout, Dan Ludlow, Tom Gallgher , Lee Evans, Charlie Tonks …. It’s quite a set up compared to days gone by. Yes, some of those will clearly be paid modestly and have business interests outside of KHFC but I wonder how much is being spent on the non-playing side?

Again, I’m still really in the dark about what Holdsworth is doing. How much time does he devote to the club? Is he putting money in or taking it out? What decisions is he in charge of? Budget? Recruitment? Managerial appointment? Playing culture across the club? Arranging friendlies? Training input? Commercial? ???

I’m not necessarily being negative here it just interests me how the club is run day to day.

And as Harry asks, I’m also intrigued as to the time Brown and McDonald are able to spend round the club etc. Brown seemed to throw himself into a few community / fan interaction events which is good to see.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:21 pm

The community stuff is heartening, but I wonder if it means the club is paying for hotels/overnight stays. I just can't get past his real concern about the distance early on. Either he got used to it (hopefully) or it'll be an issue next season when most of the journeys will be a huge distance for him...