Looking forwards

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Looking forwards

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:52 pm

Gutted as we all are, it's National League North again next season. Saving all recriminations for other threads, all we can do is look forwards to make sure we get back to the National League ASAP and ensure we are better equipped to stay there.

Obviously we need clarity over who the new manager is, as is being discussed on another thread. The quicker the better - we need to have our targets lined up and more crucially our way of playing established.

For me, we need that identity of how we are going to play. That sets the tone in terms of fan expectations, the players we can attract and those we can loan from bigger clubs. Ever since West Ham that identity, certainly in an attacking sense, seems to have become blurred or even lost.

While I would like to see us playing a high tempo passing game with fit and pacy players, I am aware it's really hard to recruit for that, plus NLN is full of teams like Alfreton and Chorley who have license to kick you off the park. Russ Penn made us physically stronger and more well organised to get put of NLN, but we lost the attacking flair of Austin and OSJ to do it. Then when we got up everyone played more football than us to start with and we were bring labelled the Alfreton of that division. Clearly a balance needs to be struck.

If we are to be playing more football on the deck, we have to build a team around the leadership and stability of Shane Byrne and the creativity of Jack Lambert. The latter is thankfully under contract for next year, get the former signed up ASAP.

As we look to pick ourselves off the floor, I find looking at the example of Yeovil interesting. Not saying we should follow this exactly... but they kept their manager Mark Cooper and 14 of the squad that was relegated last season. They've recruited wisely and bounced back in style, comfortably winning NLS (which I suspect remains somewhat easier than NLN).

Despite my vociferous misgivings when he was appointed, I do think Brown deserves a pre-season to build his own squad and tactics. But if he's not on board, let's move on quickly and get whoever us going to lead the charge in place (like Hereford did with Caddis at the end of last season). Top seven should be the minimum target - were a club with a big stadium and fan base for that level of football. But to do that we need to work out how we are going to score goals and who is going to score them - and that could be the biggest challenge of all this summer.

Apologies if I've gone on a bit... just easier to get my thoughts in one place!

Morgan
Respect the 4th Official
Respect the 4th Official

Re: Looking forwards

Post by Morgan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:53 pm

Swansea Harrier wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:52 pm
NLN is full of teams like Alfreton and Chorley who have license to kick you off the park.
Alfreton will now definitely be amongst Harriers’ opponents, having been eliminated from the playoffs tonight, losing at home 5-4 to Boston on penalties following a goalless draw.
Colin Gordon supporters seem very keen on his mates who’ve bought the club from him, don’t they? :kissarse:

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:41 am

Morgan wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:53 pm
Swansea Harrier wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:52 pm
NLN is full of teams like Alfreton and Chorley who have license to kick you off the park.
Alfreton will now definitely be amongst Harriers’ opponents, having been eliminated from the playoffs tonight, losing at home 5-4 to Boston on penalties following a goalless draw.
McDonagh scored their first penalty.

At least Phil Brown has seen first hand what to expect from them. I hope he enjoyed the 'Alfreton Experience' but probably thought "where the f... am I?"

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:32 am

I think we need to keep a few points in mind here.

Dean Holdsworth as Director of Football, is the prime co-ordinator of club recruitment for next season.
I would be very surprised if DH has not already compiled a shopping list of suitable players ready for NLN (having thrown away his list had we retained NL status.)
From what i know of how a DoF works he's probably already had verbal agreement from half a dozen players( and their agents) already at clubs across the pyramid and who are looking to relocate. Similarly he will have a list of potential loanees from the EFL and below, should we need to plug any gaps.
Similarly I suspect he's already co-ordinated most of the current squad departures and their potential new employers.

I'm sure Brown and McDonald have had input over the past 2 months, but their job doesn't really start in earnest until the squad has put pen to paper and report for pre-season.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:47 pm

I know my granny would beat him in a foot race (and she's dead), but what are the thoughts around JET for next season? Every time I saw him play, his touch and vision was very good. With a good pre-season to build fitness, would he be a good asset in NLN?

Clearly a player known to PB from the days in India, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as an early one to sign on for next season.
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

Northern Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Northern Harrier » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:39 pm

Mayo wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:47 pm
I know my granny would beat him in a foot race (and she's dead), but what are the thoughts around JET for next season? Every time I saw him play, his touch and vision was very good. With a good pre-season to build fitness, would he be a good asset in NLN?

Clearly a player known to PB from the days in India, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as an early one to sign on for next season.
Surely for the amount of money he would want (plus fitness issues) mean he's not even a thought at this level.

There would be better options available I would have thought

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:40 pm

I would be surprised to see JET stay on. A luxury player. Oozes class on the ball. Offers nothing off it. Imagine he’s a high earner. Would he want to be in the NN aswell? It’s a no from me. A lot of the suspected high earners are in their 30s and out of contract. Ideal time to move most of them on and bring in some new blood.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:33 pm

Mayo wrote:

From your description of JET I thought of another Harrier who was very similar in that he couldn't run but his vision and touch were superb and he supplied the ammunition for Casey, Davies and Tuohy in the freescoring Harriers team of the 80s, one Graham MacKenzie.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:12 pm

Cannot see JET signing. I think he'll see it as below him, will command a high wage and is based in north London (or at least he gets his hair styled not far from where I live...). Not a chance.

As for whether he should - no, not really.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:38 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:32 am
I think we need to keep a few points in mind here.

Dean Holdsworth as Director of Football, is the prime co-ordinator of club recruitment for next season.
I would be very surprised if DH has not already compiled a shopping list of suitable players ready for NLN (having thrown away his list had we retained NL status.)
From what i know of how a DoF works he's probably already had verbal agreement from half a dozen players( and their agents) already at clubs across the pyramid and who are looking to relocate. Similarly he will have a list of potential loanees from the EFL and below, should we need to plug any gaps.
Similarly I suspect he's already co-ordinated most of the current squad departures and their potential new employers.

I'm sure Brown and McDonald have had input over the past 2 months, but their job doesn't really start in earnest until the squad has put pen to paper and report for pre-season.
I think you are absolutely spot on with the above.

matttrolli
Reserves
Reserves

Post by matttrolli » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:38 am

We absolutely desperately need wingers that can consistently deliver good balls into the box, crossing on the first or second touch rather than waiting for the perfect opportunity. There's a reason Gold scored so many in the NLN in his stint with Kings Lynn. Coupled with the benefits you'd get from set pieces I think that would be the missing part of the puzzle for us. We don't have a bad squad and defensively we are doing okay, but we just need to feed strikers that have a killer instinct and do so repetitively.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:51 am

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:33 pm
Mayo wrote:

From your description of JET I thought of another Harrier who was very similar in that he couldn't run but his vision and touch were superb and he supplied the ammunition for Casey, Davies and Tuohy in the freescoring Harriers team of the 80s, one Graham MacKenzie.
As much as the logic suggests otherwise (wages, age, location, fitness, tonnage) I'd love to see him playing for us. You need some players (e.g. Lambert) with flair, who can produce a little magic that can make the Saturday afternoon seem worth it.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:59 am

The game has massively moved on even from some of the primitive styles we see in the NN where players cant run, particularly in an attacking role where teams press from the front. PB has alluded to this style before.

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 pm

You are right mattrolli. What was the point of signing Gold if we were not going to address the real problem: lack of decent crosses into the box. If we're going to hang on to him, the priority has to be to sign a couple of good wingers with real pace and the ability to cross a ball. Easier said than done I know. Interesting to see that Manny D (apologies can't spell it) has gone from strength to strength with decent supply. We could never get the best out of him.

Northern Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Northern Harrier » Wed May 01, 2024 11:03 am

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:33 pm
Mayo wrote:

If we have the budget for JET - personally I would be more interested in John Bostock that's just been released by Notts County.. (Bajrami offered a new contract..)