Former Harriers 3

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, garthrockett, harriershane

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Former Harriers 3

Post by tonythescout » Wed May 01, 2024 1:40 pm

Danny wright has retired. Finished up at Gloucester city.
Never forget whild using him as a wide man during his tenure. One of the oddest decisions I’ve seen from a manager.

Grumpy old man
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: Former Harriers 3

Post by Grumpy old man » Thu May 02, 2024 12:37 pm

Watched him a couple of times at Gloucester this season. Never threatened to score a goal on either occasion. Not sure that their pitch suited him at his age. Good guy.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri May 03, 2024 7:29 pm

Martin Riley hangs his boots up after twenty years in the game.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri May 03, 2024 8:37 pm

Brandon Diau's latest video. Produced by Portadown/League of Ireland.

Good to see him win his first trophy. Legend.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Fri May 03, 2024 9:31 pm

I always felt a bit for Diau. One of those signings that made no sense, and you felt he might have been duped a little bit, but seems such a nice bloke with a really good story. Some players, like managers, seem to have a club where they just click - and I hope that Brandon has found his.

As for Riley, I found it unbelievable that he was playing for us nearly 15 years ago. I put that into perspective of when I started going and it would have been like talking about a player in the late 80s. There is some footage of Riley, but for younger or more recent fans... He came to us as a young centre half. Almost immediately he took up position as the 'good cop' to Mark Creighton's 'bad cop' - the more elegant, composed, quicker, more finessed defender. Think of him as similar to the partnership between Chey Dunkley and Josh Gowling (nowhere near as good), or Baj and Cameron.

It was obvious he would go on to play at a higher level. We hoped it would be for us, but after we missed out on the playoffs on the final day we had a post-season cull of first team players. Adam Bartlett, Keith Lowe, Mark Creighton, Martin Riley, Lee Baker, Martin Brittain, Justin Richards and others left on frees as we couldn't afford to keep them in the dying days of Barry Norgrove's ownership. Memorably Riley got sent off against Forest Green Rovers in a 2-2 draw, when Harriers came back from 2-1 down and nine men to equalise late on. Didn't Riley get sent off for an elbow on Andy Mangan?The other red was for Justin Richards who had a scrap with ex-Harriers defender Lee Ayres. Luckily super Stefan Moore popped up. Happy days!
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri May 03, 2024 9:52 pm

Riles was sent off at FGR after Mangan tripped over a veggie burger and the ref deemed that Riles had put it there :)

Seriously they were side by side heading for the FGR goal. Riles was about two foot away from him and Mangan put his foot to one side and went down like a bag of. Ref gave a straight red.

Like Reece Styche, Mangan was convincing at it.

You were also right about Justin Richards getting sent off in that game for a coming together with our former player Lee Ayres.

https://www.harriers-online.co.uk/season08-09/reports08-09/fgro_a_7-4-09.shtml

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Fri May 03, 2024 10:36 pm

harry211 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:31 pm
I always felt a bit for Diau. One of those signings that made no sense, and you felt he might have been duped a little bit, but seems such a nice bloke with a really good story. Some players, like managers, seem to have a club where they just click - and I hope that Brandon has found his.

As for Riley, I found it unbelievable that he was playing for us nearly 15 years ago. I put that into perspective of when I started going and it would have been like talking about a player in the late 80s. There is some footage of Riley, but for younger or more recent fans... He came to us as a young centre half. Almost immediately he took up position as the 'good cop' to Mark Creighton's 'bad cop' - the more elegant, composed, quicker, more finessed defender. Think of him as similar to the partnership between Chey Dunkley and Josh Gowling (nowhere near as good), or Baj and Cameron.

It was obvious he would go on to play at a higher level. We hoped it would be for us, but after we missed out on the playoffs on the final day we had a post-season cull of first team players. Adam Bartlett, Keith Lowe, Mark Creighton, Martin Riley, Lee Baker, Martin Brittain, Justin Richards and others left on frees as we couldn't afford to keep them in the dying days of Barry Norgrove's ownership. Memorably Riley got sent off against Forest Green Rovers in a 2-2 draw, when Harriers came back from 2-1 down and nine men to equalise late on. Didn't Riley get sent off for an elbow on Andy Mangan?The other red was for Justin Richards who had a scrap with ex-Harriers defender Lee Ayres. Luckily super Stefan Moore popped up. Happy days!
Riley was actually one of those who wasn’t part of the exodus. He was there the following season, playing under Burr, was offered a contract the following season but refused it, and because of his age had to had to buy himself out of his contract so he could go elsewhere (Cheltenham I think).

Bewdleyharrier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Bewdleyharrier » Fri May 03, 2024 11:00 pm

harry211 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:31 pm

Cracking goal by Stefan Moore to send the (only) packed side of their ground into delirium.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Sat May 04, 2024 10:19 am

Phil wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:52 pm
Riles was sent off at FGR after Mangan tripped over a veggie burger and the ref deemed that Riles had put it there :)

Seriously they were side by side heading for the FGR goal. Riles was about two foot away from him and Mangan put his foot to one side and went down like a bag of. Ref gave a straight red.

Like Reece Styche, Mangan was convincing at it.

You were also right about Justin Richards getting sent off in that game for a coming together with our former player Lee Ayres.

https://www.harriers-online.co.uk/season08-09/reports08-09/fgro_a_7-4-09.shtml
The referee from that day hasn't had a bad career been a Premiership referee for about 5 years and doing the Arsenal game today.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sat May 04, 2024 10:23 am

Well corrected Nick, my apologies.

As for Coote, I think every Harriers fan is shocked he's made the step up. Then again, we all have bad days at work...
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sat May 04, 2024 10:42 am

Not sure if this has been posted before but an interesting perspective on one of the Harriers legends.......

"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sat May 04, 2024 1:13 pm

Just noticed that Martin Devaney is caretaker manager at Barnsley. They lost 3-1 to Bolton in the play-offs last night.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Tue May 07, 2024 11:23 am

Always liked devaney, despite his stay being short. Shame he wasn’t kept on but I suppose that was the summer re recruited a certain Joe Lolley

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue May 07, 2024 8:04 pm

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed May 08, 2024 10:41 pm

Nick Clayton-Phillips joining Walsall Wood.