Where do we go from here then?

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, garthrockett, harriershane

kiddy guy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Where do we go from here then?

Post by kiddy guy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Much as it pains, I think GW - good egg as he is - isn't a replacement for Steve Burr.

Whether we've got the finance to bring in a competent replacement is a question to answer, but the answer is unlikely to be Yes.

The basis of a decent squad is there, contracts permitting, but there's not much wrong with a team that finished 2nd a little under 12 months ago that the odd decent signing would not fix.

I know I'm a Steve Burr fan, but surely re-signing him (out of contract at Chester) with Whild dropping back to no.2 solves a myriad of problems. It's the easiest option, when signing a new manager means Whild leaving and a new no.2 (with associated costs) or leaving it "as is" means living with Whild as manager.

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:50 pm

At least with the Lolley money being structured into payments over 12 months we do have some extra income coming in until January. Hopefully enough people buy season tickets so at least Whild can have a competitive budget for next season, although I hear the sales are already down on this time last year.

DownTheLine
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by DownTheLine » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:31 am

People refusing to renew/buy season tickets makes no sense at all.

They do so because they are unhappy with how the season has gone, on and off the pitch, yet by not putting that money into the club they are reducing the budget available to sign new or retain existing players, which means that we may well face another mediocre season.
Will they be happy then?

Ok, they may pay on the gate for each match, but to build a squad for a season, the club needs money up front.

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:14 am

If the club was more open and told us what was going on next season people would be more inclined to purchase season tickets. This time last season we knew that all our main players were signed up and who the Manager/Chairman was going to be. Now all we have is uncertainty. Do you think people are really going to be inclined to go and purchase season tickets when they are unsure if players like Vaughan, Storer and Dunkley will even be here? Yes some will but there will be a fair few who wont.

Maton
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Maton » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 am

Tamworth Harrier wrote:If the club was more open and told us what was going on next season people would be more inclined to purchase season tickets. This time last season we knew that all our main players were signed up and who the Manager/Chairman was going to be. Now all we have is uncertainty. Do you think people are really going to be inclined to go and purchase season tickets when they are unsure if players like Vaughan, Storer and Dunkley will even be here? Yes some will but there will be a fair few who wont.
Spot on. Fans need re-assurances after what's happened and we need to some positive news and direction.

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:29 am

Some "big news" coming soon, what could it be...

Luton get fined 30 points? :lol:
He who dares...wins

Maton
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Maton » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:39 am

Probably Gary Whild confirmed as manager?

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:40 am

That's what I thought. That or an announcement on a new chairman, although the timing would be slightly strange.
He who dares...wins

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:43 am

Further to the earlier post regarding Steve Burr's return as manager, I think he's already fixed up. :roll:

Regarding Gary Whild, I have it on good authority that he is desperate to get the manager's job for next season, to the point where he's wouldn't revert to 'assistant' to Burr or any one else - and based on what he's achieved under difficult circumstances one would hardly expect him to - one defeat in twelve games would seem to indicate he is in pole position to carry on the good (?) work.
That's the good - the bad is, as already mentioned, the standard of football, team selection and use of substitutes under GW - the results would seem to have happened in spite of GW's methods rather than because of them. The football played by Harriers during the final phase of the season has been every bit as dire under GW as it was under Thorn, only the results have been different, I would guess down to the extra 'togetherness' engendered by Whild, which has led to a greater degree of commitment to turn the losses into draws, and there has been far too many of those.

Monday's game, epitomised everything that is 'wrong' with Harriers the way GW want's them to play, a throw back to the Yates days - two naturally attacking full backs being held back behind the half way line, a midfield that lacked creativity or a player who was comfortable with the ball at his feet, apart from the youngster Bell - and a forward line without Gash that lacked the ability to even get a shot on target, a team of runners, totally lacking any cohesion or flair- in other words - boring.

I thought Nuneaton were poor and there for the taking, but apart from the first twenty minutes, Kiddy looked bereft of how to put the ball in the net, with virtually the whole game played in front of the opposition defence, even Cieslewicz struggled to get behind them and produce crosses of any quality. It could be argued that Nuneaton created the best chances and should have won, which maybe puts GW's methods into perspective.

Perhaps GW's final condemnation was that with Harriers, desperate for a win - he stuck with a player who is (virtually) universally condemned as 'useless' for the whole 90 minutes, that to me sums up his limitations.

Do I think Gary Whild will get the manager's job?

Unless there is a radical change in the boardroom in the summer - then the answer is most certainly a 'YES'

Do I want to watch GW's brand of football, - most definitely - 'NO'
Last edited by redandwhitemike on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Morgan
Respect the 4th Official
Respect the 4th Official

Post by Morgan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:46 am

Nice backtracking from the chairman. Now the supporters haven't done anything wrong and have created positivity. I for one didn't see/hear/feel any positivity on Monday
Colin Gordon supporters seem very keen on his mates who’ve bought the club from him, don’t they? :kissarse:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:50 am

With Ken Rae confirmed as chairman 'going forward' (??) - ad infinitum..................I think we can take it as read that GW will be manager next season - given the 'Redditch' connection.

So guys, prepare to see the likes of Nick Wright next season - only joking (I hope)
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Rosie
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Rosie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:10 pm

New 12 month deal for GW about to be announced. He deserves it, though I've no idea what's going to happen to the squad this summer. Can we afford to improve?

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:13 pm

Redditch connection continues as R&WM mentioned.

Not sure whether this is a good or bad thing...but it's nice to have invested time in him. Would also have been nice for everybody to have sat down at the end of the season and properly assessed things. Is it slightly knee-jerk and taking the easy option?

Rolling contract means that we can get rid without fairly little compensation I would have thought if it doesn't work out. What will happen to Creights/Flowers. Can't imagine they're on peanuts?
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:24 pm

Not impressed. Its the easy cheap option. Unfortunately I feel it will back fire as that team that finished the season playing those tatics and formation will not finish in the top half next season. I wont be renewing my season ticket. The thought of watching players like O'Keefe and Blissett each week fills me with dread.

janhillier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by janhillier » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Like many I read this daily and only post every now and again.

We go to nearly every match home and away and have seen some real dross this season, under each of the 3 managers. Woking away (under Burr) was soul destroying, Cambridge away (under Thorne) was a real shame as the first 45 minutes were one of the last times we played well (before the suicide missions of Dunkley and Lewis gifted 3 goals) - Hyde away last week and then Saturday's game just showed tactical ineptitude that I am really fed up now with the appointment of GW. Thankfully I was on holiday for Luton away!

I have no doubt he is a good guy, but this appointment does not feel me with any enthusiasm, just a sense of dread. God help us if the Nick Wright loan becomes permanent.

Also, I have felt that there doesn't seem to be much of a sense of cohesion among the 3 in charge on match days when you watch them (as the matches became less interesting) so I wait to hear how the management team is going to pan out now.

Personally I feel disappointed there hasn't been a promotion for Steve Guinan - so perhaps that will be a surprise and he will be brought back into the fold after his Universities duties have been completed as he is an asset and I think has the skills to help with some of these tactical "blips".

However, I will be renewing our 3 season tickets as I have supported the team for nearly 30 years but I will be doing so with a heavy heart and not really looking forward to what we are going to see as it stands.

I really hope that I can be proved wrong and I can eat humble pie in 12 months time after being proved wrong and that the Redditch connection has been successful (and as I live in Redditch...who knows!)