Where do we go from here then?

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, garthrockett, harriershane

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Where do we go from here then?

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:43 pm

Agree with Red Bear there. Without knowing the financial outlay we make in terms of coaches, our current set-up does seem potentially excessive.

We have just had four good/decent seasons at this level finishing 6th, 6th, 2nd and top 7. There are those who think we have a right to at least be in this position and anything other than promotion is "failure" and there are those, like me, who look at the last 125+ years and think we should chill out a little and enjoy our place as one of non-league's better clubs. Is that "living in the past" or showing a "lack of ambition"? A phrase so often heard about the Harriers (before and after our 5 yr stay in the league) is "the club do not want promotion" which I always translated as "the club have made a decision I don't agree with" or "why aren't the club spending money they don't have"? We are not a rich club - read Pershore's comments. If Ernie Lane stops (or has he already?) putting his hand in his pocket the club must run on a sustainable basis. Phrases such as "cutting our cloth accordingly" are not going to win many friends but the NUMBER ONE priority must be the survival of the club. I am not a fan of any board member (past, present or future) who wants to risk that.

Of course, having to reduce budgets doesn't mean we should accept poor football and relegation battles but surely our expectations and subsequent criticism needs to be tempered? I sit there at home games listening to the pure bile and venom being spouted about (and directly to) our own players and manager and think "has it always been like this?" They make mistakes and they make decisions we disagree with but the arrogance of some of the experts in the stands amuses and angers me at the same time. We pay our money so are entitled to our opinion but perhaps expectations are way too high? We currently have a squad that is not quite good enough for the play-offs. We endured a terrible spell under a poor manager and have lost some key players to injury and suspension at key times. We battered Nuneaton for twenty minutes on Monday and should have scored a couple of goals but we didn't. The rest wasn't that pretty but we seem to think we have a team that should be steam rolling Nuneaton. We don't, we have some mediocre conference players that have limitations. You could see the confidence drain from Mickey D as the usual East Stand muppets got stuck into him for not being Gareth Bale. We have a good group of supporters (and some amazing supporters) but I can't help thinking there are times when we don't do the team any favours. Okay, the "lap of honour" comment from the PA guy was misjudged but over half the crowd turned their backs and walked out at the end of the game - the last home game of the season and they couldn't be bothered to acknowledge the effort of the players.

As for the appointment of Whild - it may seem like a "cheap option" but this is a bloke who has stayed loyal and dignified during all the turmoil. That deserves respect. He deserves a chance and has already shown he is prepared to make difficult decisions (see Malbon and Johnson). He steadied the ship and the fact we were thinking about the play-offs is amazing considering the f__k up that was Thorn.
When people say "he's only a number 2" I'm not quite sure what they mean. He doesn't seem quite as media friendly as Burr and isn't so much "of a lad" but that doesn't matter. Mills, Brabin, Devonshire - who knows how they would have done. I expect if we lose the first game next season the line will be that one of those three would have got us promotion! As I say, deserves a chance, let's judge him next season and see what happens.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Im sorry Sheff but how can you say that 'we have some mediocre conference players that have limitations'. Bar Vincent and Briggs, its the same side that almost won the league last season! We expected and should have been top 5 if it wasnt for appointing that muppet Thorn.

I do feel appointing Whild has an 'Ian Britton' feel to it but there as alot worse choices out there and we must back him.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Red Bear wrote:If, as assumed, we are to have a substantially reduced playing budget then I think GW is by far the most sensible managerial option - not because he may be a relatively cheap appointment himself but because we can't afford to tear everything apart and start again (the last thing we need is a new manager coming in and bring new players in just to be seen to be doing something different). GW is best placed to bring in local players from lower leagues, who I would prefer us to look to (alongside more experienced players) regardless of the financial position.

My interest is the make-up of the rest of the management team - surely we can't financially justify and don't need two assistants/coaches. I'm not sure what TF and MC currently bring to the party - we seemed to have improved defensively before MC came in and I worry that TF adds an unduly negative influence on tactics and style of play. Like others, I would very much like to see Steve Guinan brought in from the Academy to be number 2 as I like his apparent energy, positivity and open-ness; however, I not sure how likely this is or even what his relationship with GW is like.

I think the next month will set the tone for the rest of the year...
Can't help but think you are right, IF as suggested "Money is too tight to mention" then we definitely don't need both Creighton & Flowers that is way OTT - ditch who ever is paid the most maybe both.

I notice a quote from Ken Rae that GW has a competitve budget :roll:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Why do most people presume there will be a huge budget cut? Maybe I'm missing something.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Fa Cup run, Lolley money, gates averaging 2000, surely paying Burr and Thorn off didnt use up all of that money???

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Further to the point of Harriers budget, I can't believe the figure of £350k can be right - I know for a fact that one of the sides in the play offs in Con North has a similar amount on gates of 6/700 and our chairman's has remarked that GW's budget is competitive.

Then again I guess that depends on what the competition is :lol:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Maton
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Maton » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Where did the figure £350k come from?

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Tamworth Harrier wrote:Why do most people presume there will be a huge budget cut? Maybe I'm missing something.
FA Cup and Lolley money long since spent - no bumper gate money from our last couple of home games like we had last season - no play-off money i.e nothing to carry forward in terms of cash for next season. The liklihood that the season ticket sales will be down on last year's total and do you think we will rely on boosting the budget with hoped for Cup success or player transfers in January 2015?

It will not be long before this whole issue becomes clear as players leave and new players come in.

I understand it is reported that GW has been given a competative budget - it is where about we expect to be competing that is relevant and that appears undefined.

Don't get me wrong here - the playing budget is not the be all and end all - FGR had a reputed playing budget of 1.8million last season and a large playing budget does not guarrantee success but in competant and capable managerial hands it can be used with great effect and teams that are referred to as 'punching above their weight' are often those with a modest playing budget and a top quality management team.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:26 pm

"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Sheffield Harrier = voice of reason. What he said.

sprials
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by sprials » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:05 pm

tonythescout wrote:Fa Cup run, Lolley money, gates averaging 2000, surely paying Burr and Thorn off didnt use up all of that money???

Sunderland policing budget alone was nearly £30k, then players bonuses , then paying off Burr, Thorn, Fowler, additional costs during cup run..
took a big chuck of it..
youth team....THE WAY FORWARD

grassroots is where it all starts, support it before it's too late

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:26 pm

sprials wrote:
tonythescout wrote:Fa Cup run, Lolley money, gates averaging 2000, surely paying Burr and Thorn off didnt use up all of that money???

Sunderland policing budget alone was nearly £30k, then players bonuses , then paying off Burr, Thorn, Fowler, additional costs during cup run..
took a big chuck of it..
I understand Dance had to be paid off too and that wasn't cheap.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:30 pm

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:
sprials wrote:

took a big chuck of it..
I understand Dance had to be paid off too and that wasn't cheap.
Plus the money given to Hereford for O'Keefe.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Maton
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Maton » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:49 pm

Pleased to see some honesty from Gary Whild in tonight's express and star.

AGKman
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by AGKman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:50 pm

I have to be honest and say that Sheffield Harrier's post is one of the best I have read on here.

It's perhaps a summary of what he's actually said that most people have glossed over it in favour of picking on one minor phrase or just in favour of being flippant or witty about this money being wasted or that money being wasted. And don't get me wrong, I'm flippant too!

A fair number of those who write on here could do with printing that post out, framing it and pinning it to their walls.

Like it or not, it's the truth. No amount of blathering about what has gone before, which Director is the biggest fool, who has shares and who has put what money in... No amount of ANY of that changes the fact that Sheff's post is just, plainly and simply, where we are.

I have my Season Ticket now because I'm a Kidderminster fan. I'm not a blinded idiot, I'm not a sheep, I'm not 'not bothered' about what happens to my club. I'm just a fan and a realist.

As Sheff says, maybe we could all just "chill out" a bit and be happy for what we DO have, which is a good club, a good ground, the basis of a good squad, a likeable manager, and no real money worries. SHOULD we have a lot more dough? Probably, given what we've done this season, but if the chunk is lessened because of what's gone on, then what's done is done. I'd rather not have a lot than be needing £300,000 between now and the end of the season because of debt, no?

Thanks, Sheff, for making me feel happier and reassured... I'm actually more bored and worn out by the bitching and complaining and the arrogance of some fans than I actually am about the likes of Serrell and co. It's nice to know I'm not on my own.
Born Green & White; will die Red & White