Another CG State of the Nation

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, garthrockett, harriershane

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Another CG State of the Nation

Post by ograzebrook » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:28 am

redandwhitemike wrote:
harry211 wrote:I agree with George, of course Matt isn't going to go full Paxman on Colin, it's his boss and it's not the point.

One thing that I will say, is that the outwards PR from the club has improved over the last few seasons. But don't mix that up with keeping the fans informed...
With respect harry, I fully realise that Matty can't give CKG the third degree - the inference was that the content of the broadcast - questions & answers would have been prepared beforehand, so the 'interview' isn't going to tell us any more than our chairman wants us to hear.
How often do you tell people things you don't want them to hear? This is oxymoron territory.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:25 pm

ograzebrook wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
harry211 wrote:I agree with George, of course Matt isn't going to go full Paxman on Colin, it's his boss and it's not the point.

One thing that I will say, is that the outwards PR from the club has improved over the last few seasons. But don't mix that up with keeping the fans informed...
With respect harry, I fully realise that Matty can't give CKG the third degree - the inference was that the content of the broadcast - questions & answers would have been prepared beforehand, so the 'interview' isn't going to tell us any more than our chairman wants us to hear.
How often do you tell people things you don't want them to hear? This is oxymoron territory.

So therefore you are saying that CKG will only tell us the good stuff and will keep the less pleasant facts to himself?

Surely not.

What ever happened to being open and having nothing to hide.

By all means contradict what I say, but at least be plausible.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:02 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
ograzebrook wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:

So therefore you are saying that CKG will only tell us the good stuff and will keep the less pleasant facts to himself?

Surely not.

I'm out

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:06 pm

ograzebrook wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
ograzebrook wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:

Surely not.

I'm out
:grouphug:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

TJU'S
1st team
1st team

Post by TJU'S » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:17 pm

Hope we go up obviously but it won't be the end of the world if we don't. I still don't think we have the experience for conf national with such a young team remembering what happened last year. There was no way the players efforts could be faulted and it would be bad for the confidence of a young group for the same thing happened again, 12months older and 12 months more experience might make a difference As for the Andre situation the lad has done well and deserves his chance if it comes off we cannot hold him back, the same applies to any of the young players. Personally I would not want to see Ryan Croasdale leave but inevitably he will and good luck to him

S2RKK
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by S2RKK » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:01 pm

TJU'S wrote:Hope we go up obviously but it won't be the end of the world if we don't. I still don't think we have the experience for conf national with such a young team remembering what happened last year. There was no way the players efforts could be faulted and it would be bad for the confidence of a young group for the same thing happened again, 12months older and 12 months more experience might make a difference As for the Andre situation the lad has done well and deserves his chance if it comes off we cannot hold him back, the same applies to any of the young players. Personally I would not want to see Ryan Croasdale leave but inevitably he will and good luck to him

Very good sensible post even if we have one or two "older" players.

lancaster71
Youth team
Youth team

Post by lancaster71 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 pm

TJU'S wrote:Hope we go up obviously but it won't be the end of the world if we don't. I still don't think we have the experience for conf national with such a young team remembering what happened last year. There was no way the players efforts could be faulted and it would be bad for the confidence of a young group for the same thing happened again, 12months older and 12 months more experience might make a difference As for the Andre situation the lad has done well and deserves his chance if it comes off we cannot hold him back, the same applies to any of the young players. Personally I would not want to see Ryan Croasdale leave but inevitably he will and good luck to him

As Stated by CG if players move on for a fee ( Good for the Club )....We have young Talent waiting to come in to develop there careers and so on......Is this what happens at most clubs these days :dontworry:

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:17 pm

Waggy wrote:To paraphrase: You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.

Having read Colin’s latest state of the nation, even reading between the lines I’m quite pleased. I know he’s the only show in town; however, we’ve had far worse. The different comings and goings personnel-wise illustrates that in business, to succeed you can’t be overly friendly or sympathetic. After all, his mantra is that any club has to be run as a business venture; if there are sponsors willing to put in better deals so be it ,as long as they have no say as how the club is run, especially on the playing side.

Bit of a hoo-ha about the likes of Brown being allowed to play as a guest. Let’s be honest – it can open doors for him and ultimately for the benefit of the club. He’s not the first and won’t be the last to be showcased in this manner. Pleasing also was the hint that we may well change our modus operandi, be a little more flexible whilst a match is in progress. It’s become obvious to most, for some time now, that the opposition teams have worked out our somewhat (at times) quite rigid approach and respond accordingly. Gordon also showed quiet confidence in attracting decent players to the club and given the ongoing improvements of training amenities, etc, what’s not to like?

Overall I’ve enjoyed this season (other than the M6). Along with others I’m quite prepared to feel dreaded disappointment missing out on the Tantalus of promotion but heartened by the optimistic nature of Gordon’s overall scheme for our future. If nothing else at least next season our squad won’t be quite so “young”.
As is usually the case Waggy, I completely agree, Well said.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:45 am

I've just listened again to CKG's March broadcast - very interesting comments at about 10 minutes in, with regard to how he views the people working at the club - he uses words like bright, forward thinking and innovative and also mentions about people's livelihood and them having a say - he also implies that they have to work the full shift at the club to warrant being taken seriously in making decisions.

Looks a little less profound now.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Having had a little time to reflect, I can certainly see having worked by himself/for himself during his working life, where he has been able to make decisions independently quickly, getting involved in KHFC would be a big change for him in terms of having to 'manage' other people and deal with their foibles and perceived weaknesses.

Maybe the committee style of a boardroom (albeit run by Maggie Thatcher rather than Jeremy Corbyn) just isn't his thing.

Maybe he feels having to explain himself slows him down and wastes his time.

Just a thought.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:Having had a little time to reflect, I can certainly see having worked by himself/for himself during his working life, where he has been able to make decisions independently quickly, getting involved in KHFC would be a big change for him in terms of having to 'manage' other people and deal with their foibles and perceived weaknesses.

Maybe the committee style of a boardroom (albeit run by Maggie Thatcher rather than Jeremy Corbyn) just isn't his thing.

Just a thought.

You could well be right.

However I don't think he would be able to do everything by himself - especially if his ambitions are realised (promotion) - much bigger ball game up in the National League (TV etc). The ability to delegate and trust others is a massive part of success in business, as well as having an eye for the right people.

I would have thought Colin Gordon would be good at all that, which makes the recent board changes all the more difficult to fathom.

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:Having had a little time to reflect, I can certainly see having worked by himself/for himself during his working life, where he has been able to make decisions independently quickly, getting involved in KHFC would be a big change for him in terms of having to 'manage' other people and deal with their foibles and perceived weaknesses.

Just a thought.
I think this is probably the case and also a bit of what Mike said about the need for KHIST funds when Colin's vision is total sustainability.

The benefit of autocracies/dictatorships is that things get done much quicker. See Singapore and Lee Kuan Yew...it sometimes works out rather well.