Another CG State of the Nation

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

millzeuk
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: Another CG State of the Nation

Post by millzeuk » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:53 am

I think hearing from the chairman regularly is a positive thing, but other than clearing up the query about Andre Brown I don't feel he said very much at all. It is quite likely that he isn't in a position \ able to answer the questions many fans want answers to, but if that is the case it is better to literally say nothing.

I should add that I think the club are on an upward curve with regards to fan communication, the chairman genuinely does answer emails personally and will tell you why he cannot answer a question if he can't.

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:22 am

dastrix wrote:Absolute shite again, played down play off chances and promotion once again. If we don't get promoted this season its a failure and fans will start to drop off.

As for Andre Brown situation I have no problem in players leaving we are a selling club end of.

Also the comment about the football being played, I belive that the football under SB was streets ahead of what i am seeing on a weekly basis.
You mean when we were at the top of the National League with a big playing budget?

A little harsh to criticise for being realistic about promotion. It's called expectation management and we should all know by now that we are punching above our weight in terms of budget.

I took the comments about being questioned about his business plan to be an indirect way of answering the questions about recent resignations.

Personally I found the jokey comments about the high cost of training and hotel stays a bit odd. Either thay are affordable/within budget or not. Perhaps he was just suggestiong that the players possibly didn't appreciate that their treatment comes at a high cost. However, it's nice to know that the training is approached professionally.

Zorro
1st team
1st team

Post by Zorro » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:24 am

I would sum up that state of the nation in one word: 'Unique'

You do get the feeling that the club is more of a showroom window for the bigger clubs now rather than a traditional non league outfit

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:53 am

I am not sure what a traditional non-league outfit is any more.

There always seems to be one or two clubs per league with a rich benefactor, then the rest trying to play catch up by
making the most of their coaching/playing staff and those who go bust trying to chase the dream.

It seems during the last 15 years or so we could be counted in all three categories!

If we are to be the non-league Crewe then so be it.

As far as the interview is concerned, CG is impressive and talks a good game but with less material than previously. Matt is a genius in
directing the conversation towards the intended topics.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote: Matt is a genius in
You mean he's reading from a script(approved),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:40 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Cal's Spongebag wrote: Matt is a genius in
You mean he's reading from a script(approved),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Sadly you are probably correct - but it is perceived to communicate with the supporters and therefore everything is 'open'.

A bit like Diane Abbot interviewing Jeremy Corbyn or Phil Hammond interviewing Teresa May as that way the right questions are asked and the right message is got across.

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Sorry, but I can't let some of these comments by dastrix go unchallenged.

"Absolute shite again, played down play off chances and promotion once again. If we don't get promoted this season its a failure and fans will start to drop off."

Totally disagree. The guy is being realistic. The play-offs are an absolute lottery. Remember just a few short seasons ago when we finished comfortably in runners-up spot? We were beaten twice by Wrexham when many, including me, thought we'd comfortably make the final. Our current away form is dodgy to say the least. Still, no matter which league we're playing in next season, I'll be here as I've already renewed my season ticket...... along with 530 other early birders.

"As for Andre Brown situation I have no problem in players leaving we are a selling club end of."

Agree. Just about every club in the land, apart from the top Premiership clubs, is a selling club in this day and age.

"Also the comment about the football being played, I belive that the football under SB was streets ahead of what i am seeing on a weekly basis."

Totally and utterly disagree. Although we're in a lower league, the football served up at Aggborough this season has been absolute quality. Even on a budget almost 3 times bigger than the one Eustace has had to work with, the quality, IMO,has been tremendous and superior to that in the SB era. Virtually every club in the NLN has stated that Harriers are undoubtedly the best footballing side in the league. Although not intended to be a SB bashing (as I quite liked the guy) but hasn't he been sacked from every club he's managed since his departure from Harriers?
Gripe over.

georged123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by georged123 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:41 pm

I don't understand why people are upset that Matt Wall isn't going Paxman on CG. I'm sure the topics are discussed before and then CG gives answers and adds in little bits on top.

People aren't happy with lack of communication, we get communication then it becomes people aren't happy with the answers, then they get clear answers, then it becomes people aren't happy with the style of the answers.

I mean if people wish to live their life constantly being unhappy then fair enough.

koro
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by koro » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:04 pm

When compared to many other clubs I would say that KHFC is demonstrating good communication and it would appear, decent business practice in the back office . I've been watching the ownership fiasco goings on at Port Vale ( out of a personal interest ) and trust me, we are very fortunate by comparison.
Football is full of business wide boys, chancers and crooks, as evidenced today by the HMRC criminal investigation into some top level clubs and KHFC is not in that situation.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:14 pm

An essential part of good business management is being able to manage information and news within the business and to the outside world. KHFC have made significant progress in that regard.

That is not a criticism but an observation and I believe it is a fact.

georged123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by georged123 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:37 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:An essential part of good business management is being able to manage information and news within the business and to the outside world. KHFC have made significant progress in that regard.

That is not a criticism but an observation and I believe it is a fact.
:like:

Mrs Waggy
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Mrs Waggy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 pm

To paraphrase: You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.

Having read Colin’s latest state of the nation, even reading between the lines I’m quite pleased. I know he’s the only show in town; however, we’ve had far worse. The different comings and goings personnel-wise illustrates that in business, to succeed you can’t be overly friendly or sympathetic. After all, his mantra is that any club has to be run as a business venture; if there are sponsors willing to put in better deals so be it ,as long as they have no say as how the club is run, especially on the playing side.

Bit of a hoo-ha about the likes of Brown being allowed to play as a guest. Let’s be honest – it can open doors for him and ultimately for the benefit of the club. He’s not the first and won’t be the last to be showcased in this manner. Pleasing also was the hint that we may well change our modus operandi, be a little more flexible whilst a match is in progress. It’s become obvious to most, for some time now, that the opposition teams have worked out our somewhat (at times) quite rigid approach and respond accordingly. Gordon also showed quiet confidence in attracting decent players to the club and given the ongoing improvements of training amenities, etc, what’s not to like?

Overall I’ve enjoyed this season (other than the M6). Along with others I’m quite prepared to feel dreaded disappointment missing out on the Tantalus of promotion but heartened by the optimistic nature of Gordon’s overall scheme for our future. If nothing else at least next season our squad won’t be quite so “young”.
The older I get, the better I was.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:51 pm

I agree with George, of course Matt isn't going to go full Paxman on Colin, it's his boss and it's not the point.

One thing that I will say, is that the outwards PR from the club has improved over the last few seasons. But don't mix that up with keeping the fans informed...
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

lancaster71
Youth team
Youth team

Post by lancaster71 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:05 am

dastrix wrote:Absolute shite again, played down play off chances and promotion once again. If we don't get promoted this season its a failure and fans will start to drop off.

As for Andre Brown situation I have no problem in players leaving we are a selling club end of.

Also the comment about the football being played, I belive that the football under SB was streets ahead of what i am seeing on a weekly basis.

:quit: :crap: :comeonharriers2:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:35 am

harry211 wrote:I agree with George, of course Matt isn't going to go full Paxman on Colin, it's his boss and it's not the point.

One thing that I will say, is that the outwards PR from the club has improved over the last few seasons. But don't mix that up with keeping the fans informed...
With respect harry, I fully realise that Matty can't give CKG the third degree - the inference was that the content of the broadcast - questions & answers would have been prepared beforehand, so the 'interview' isn't going to tell us any more than our chairman wants us to hear.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale