So can we do it?

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

stevedthomas
Youth team
Youth team

So can we do it?

Post by stevedthomas » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:37 pm

It's fair to say Fylde need three wins from their final four games to confirm automatic promotion (there's no way we will overturn the goal diff) and, in reality, we probably need to win the final five games.

But can we do it?

I can see Fylde dropping points in two of their games, but can we win all ours?

It's gonna be a tough ask but it is do-able IMO.

Zorro
1st team
1st team

Re: So can we do it?

Post by Zorro » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:52 pm

stevedthomas wrote:It's fair to say Fylde need three wins from their final four games to confirm automatic promotion (there's no way we will overturn the goal diff) and, in reality, we probably need to win the final five games.

But can we do it?

My prediction

Us:

Win all 5

Fylde

Halifax draw
BPA win
Boston win
Worcester draw (last day nerves and Worcester need a draw to stay up)

Where does that leave us?

Banno
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Banno » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Zorro wrote:
stevedthomas wrote:It's fair to say Fylde need three wins from their final four games to confirm automatic promotion (there's no way we will overturn the goal diff) and, in reality, we probably need to win the final five games.

But can we do it?

My prediction

Us:

Win all 5

Fylde

Halifax draw
BPA win
Boston win
Worcester draw (last day nerves and Worcester need a draw to stay up)

Where does that leave us?
1. Harriers 87
2. Fylde 86

Our run-in couldn't be much kinder on paper. Bottom 3 away from home plus 15th and 16th at home.

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Can only see Fylde dropping 3 points by losing at Halifax and fully expect them to win the other 3.
We need to ensure that all important 2nd spot and, IMO, will probably need to bag 12 points from our remaining 5 games. 10 points may not be enough.

Lovejoy
1st team
1st team

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:00 pm

My prediction:

Fylde

Halifax - defeat
BPA - win
Boston - draw
Worcester - win

We must win all games to have any chance of the title and with the run-in we have we must be in with a shout.

Final Standings:

KHFC - 87 points
Fylde - 85 points

:comeonharriers2:

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:41 pm

Just feel that Fylde will drop no fewer than 3 points (v Halifax) and that will be that regarding the title. The game at Stalybridge now takes on massive proportions and with their dire pitch plus Mr Burr's desire to put one over us, it would virtually end our hope of overhauling Fylde. But, I would so love to be wrong.

Semper Idem
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Semper Idem » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Realisticly I think it is just out of reach, I think we'd need to win the next 5 games on the bounce to even stand a chance, something I don't think we have done in the league this season. We have away games against Stalybridge and Gainsborough who are fighting to stay up and our away form has been suspect. There is a little bit of hope with Fylde having to travel to Halifax and Boston (who beat Salford at home) but I have a feeling that they will go to Halifax and win. Football is a strange game and Fylde have wobbled a little bit but I think we have left ourselves too much to do, it has been a good season and hopefully we can make a final push and get ourselves out of this division.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:04 pm

Fylde have only won one of their last 5 games & who would have thought they would lose at Stalybridge.

We need to keep the pressure on & could just do it.

stevedthomas
Youth team
Youth team

Post by stevedthomas » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:24 pm

The pressure is on Fylde.

They've been top virtually all season, how gutting for the would it be if we toppled them after the final game?!!

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Our game on Tuesday is crucial. Fail to win and the gap is too much bar mathematical possibilities. Given that we've struggled away from home and their pitch is not conducive to our style of play, we may struggle. Given how Nti took his goal on Saturday I would like to see him up front with Ironside and be a bit more aerial to avoid the pitch leading to issues from underhit sideways passes. But can't see that happening.

If we win on Tuesday, we've an outside shot at the title. Fylde will drop points, but it seems unlikely we will win six on the bounce despite the rather kind fixture list. I can really see us losing out on goal difference.

Interesting to see some Halifax fans thinking they have a shot at the title. Seems a touch optimistic to me. A draw for them against Fylde would probably be best for us.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:41 am

Being ever the pessimist I'm more inclined to look over our shoulder at the chasing pack down to Stockport in 7th on 67 points. :~
But Salford and Chorley only having one win in the last five games and Halifax yet to play Fylde and Chorley second place is really ours to lose.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:44 am

Every time we've been in with a chance we've lost the very next game. Brackley, FC United, Chorley and Halifax.

The good thing is we probably only need one win and a draw to be confident of playoffs. That would put us 9 points clear with 4 games remaining. However Darlington play Salford and Chorley play Halifax on the final game. So points shall be dropped. Don't forget, we've also got a 10+ goal difference ok 5th, 6th and 7th.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:19 pm

Now, every one knows I'm an optimist,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But don't Harriers have previous in respect of the last game of the season when it means something,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

Those with semi good memories might remember Kettering a few years ago :crying:

When it happens I will believe it until then I'm going with 'garth' and watching those below us rather than thinking we can cathc Fylde.

You know - taking it one game at a time
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Stalybridge and Gainsborough could be the stumbling blocks here. Let's see how we get on tomorrow night :red_army:

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:59 am

So here we are in the midst of the play off pack with the game in hand gone in a puff of smoke.

"So Can we do it?" should be amended "So can we hang on to 2nd?".

Given the erratic and unproductive performances every time we climb onto a coach I'd say no.
Entertaining for sure , a 'footballing' mentality yes, but a side with an decidedly 'soft centre'.
We make far too many mistakes to endeavor in the sudden-death environment of a play off campaign where such mistakes are pivotal.

I hope I'm wrong but no, I can't see us doing it now. :(
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022