Mark Yates returns......

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Mark Yates returns......

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:29 pm

"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Mark Yates returns......

Post by Jackygold55 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Why do we need a football league manager in charge of our u23s?
Who pays his contract? Which im assuming is bigger than Eustace or Gardiners (Who arent exactly cheap themselves, ive heard 30-40k)
Why is this money not being put towards the playing budget?

Although, if someone else, other than KHFC, is paying his contract, then i retract all questions...

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Seems like good news - will earn the respect of the young players, I'm sure.

Valid questions about pay, but I would be very surprised if he was being paid his full manager salary for this - I imagine there is a salary for the role that he has taken on from the previous U23 manager. It might be that he is on a bit of a career break and fancied getting back involved, out of the spotlight, with a club he knows and loves.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:08 pm

An enforced career break. No one wants him :shock:

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Im just confused how the budgets 'tight' yet we can get a football league coach... for our u23's (a largely irrelevant team).

brumkidd
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by brumkidd » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:31 pm

I've banged on for years about spending the "management budget" on a player/manager or player/coach with an experienced older head on the touchline.

Having 3 non-playing, reasonably high profile coaches/managers on board seems a little excessive, unless as someone else has mentioned, the extra salary is being picked up by a third party.
It is only a matter of time before those good people at the National Lottery give me the jackpot that I so richly deserve.

koro
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by koro » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:35 pm

A bit of insurance, should JE move on ?

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Aside from the financial implications, I question something else about the appointment of Mark Yates. I understand in his business plan, CG explained that the style of Kidderminster Harriers approach to playing the game will be based on developing individual skill levels, movement, retaining possession and working openings (rather than wasting possession through too many 'Hollywood' passes) but also playing the occasional long ball when/where necessary. This ethos would be adopted by all coaches at the club and be followed by all teams from the U9's upwards. JE and MG have certainly demonstrated this to date.
However, my problem is ... I can't quite see Yatesey signing up to this as we certainly didn't see this style under him when he was in charge at Aggy or down the road at Cheltenham. Then again, the MY style of play might prove popular with some fans. Who knows?

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:15 pm

I too find myself bemused by this news - all the relevant questions about who picks up the tab, prioritising the budget and the conflict of playing styles not to mention Yates being checked over as insurance/cover for JE's departure.

I do think some one should email the chairman ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Jackygold55 wrote:Im just confused how the budgets 'tight' yet we can get a football league coach... for our u23's (a largely irrelevant team).
Isn't the U23 part of the University course, which brings in £9K a player a year if I remember rightly and what is irrelevant about developing players for the first team?

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:25 pm

koro wrote:A bit of insurance, should JE move on ?
My thoughts exactly and indeed what a contrast in playing styles assuming Yates has not moved on in that aspect since he was with us. However, I am sure he will have adopted the 'playing the right way style' before taking up his post.

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:29 pm

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:
Jackygold55 wrote:Im just confused how the budgets 'tight' yet we can get a football league coach... for our u23's (a largely irrelevant team).
Isn't the U23 part of the University course, which brings in £9K a player a year if I remember rightly and what is irrelevant about developing players for the first team?
The u23 may be part of the university course. Does that mean the costs are covered by KHFC? Do KHFC see any part of that 9k per year for management and players expenses?

I see the irrelevance in the sense that Ty Williams is the only player to be developed by our club into a first team player. Even doing so, for me he is still not good enough for top NN clubs. Why is that money going onan experienced football league manager and not our playing squad? Or is our aim not to be promoted within 2 years?

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:47 pm

There are (at present going by the team photos) 25 U-23s players signed up for the Football Business Management and Coaching FdS degree. so presumably that's 278K annually in fees, presumably split between the club and BMET College.
I don't know how many other course years there are but logically here will be at least three, and you can see where the Flash's quoted 1 million annual turnover is coming from. On the plus side any of those 75 turns out to be a potential Lolley the club is there at the start to sign him up and take advantage.

Take out the running costs ( and yates must surely be included in the Academy costs) and hopefully there's enough money for the club not to have to relay on 'beer and season tickets' anymore.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:54 pm

garthrockett wrote:
There are (at present going by the team photos) 25 U-23s players signed up for the Football Business Management and Coaching FdS degree. so presumably that's 278K annually in fees, presumably split between the club and BMET College.
I don't know how many other course years there are but logically here will be at least three, and you can see where the Flash's quoted 1 million annual turnover is coming from. On the plus side any of those 75 turns out to be a potential Lolley the club is there at the start to sign him up and take advantage.

Take out the running costs ( and yates must surely be included in the Academy costs) and hopefully there's enough money for the club not to have to relay on 'beer and season tickets' anymore.
Well the thing is, they have to deliver the University course, which doesn't come cheap. Unfortunately i don't think KHFC will have to process these figures in our yearly statement? As the proceeds go under the Football Business Management title?

The way i read into it is u23's are separate from KHFC and go under the Higher education programme banner. So we gain whatever fees outright then pay subsidiary fees to BMT and Worcester Uni for the academic side of our course.

Im taking it that the fees cover the cost of those courses, plus managerial salary and daily expenses.

The question is, by how much?
Last edited by Jackygold55 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Interesting appointment. He has probably had his chance at being a league manager. Hopefully he does a good job. Setting up a side to win football league games is different to developing young lads in a friendly league, so perhaps Yatesie is capable of getting them to play football. I bet CG rues the day he ever talked about the Kidderminster Way as some just use it to scoff all the time.

I doubt we have the finances to pay him 30-40k. Probably funded by BMET.

We are fans who first and foremost want success for the first team and I suppose its hard to see any sense in any activity that doesn't directly benefit that. Some will just think its a waste of time. Why bother with the Junior Supporters' club? Why bother with walking football? Football in the community? I think the club should try and be as active in the community and beyond as possible. Giving youngsters the chance to gain skills whilst playing football gets the thumbs up from me. Now, of course, the club need to keep an eye on the bottom line and continually assess value for money and not allow costs to get out of control. If they mess that up then criticism is warranted.