Worcestershire Senior cup final Vs Evesham

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Worcestershire Senior cup final Vs Evesham

Post by Colgofray » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:20 am

How many minutes did Elton play and how did he shape up? Can't fathom why Andre Brown was included in the team. I thought he should really be playing v Blues tonight.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:49 am

Colgofray wrote:How many minutes did Elton play and how did he shape up? Can't fathom why Andre Brown was included in the team. I thought he should really be playing v Blues tonight.
Elton played about an hour in the defensive midfield role. Played ok in a game which we never got going, had chances, mostly missed by 'junior'

Northern Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Northern Harrier » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:25 am

jim mankey wrote:On tonight's showing we wont be seeing the majority of these again.
Its bizarre isn't it - most of those 'trialists' have serious league experience, but for one thing or another didn't appear to show it. I appreciate that you can't judge players on one show, but given the stage of pre-season you expect good players to be working their socks off and going above and beyond to earn a contract. Attitude, it seems is what holds many a (young) player talent back from moving on in their careers

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:27 am

The mentality of the young footballer is at times altogether alien to me.

I was talking to a lorry driver at work the other day - the usual "who do you support? ah Kiddy" , etc. etc. and the guy was in his late 30s and had been on schoolboy terms with Chelsea no less.
He was released at the age of 18 and he hasn't kicked a ball since, maintaining the rejection was so traumatic he lost all love of the game ever since. He said he had no appetite for dropping down a few levels and just enjoying his football for its own sake.

I guess unless you've been through it, us mere mortals (sport-wise) would never quite understand that.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Similarly, top players retiring from the game in their mid thirties.

It amazes me how few decide to drop down in order to continue playing.

Clearly they don't need the money and their love of the game is not sufficient to make them.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:Similarly, top players retiring from the game in their mid thirties.

It amazes me how few decide to drop down in order to continue playing.

Clearly they don't need the money and their love of the game is not sufficient to make them.

Lee Hughes ??

Maybe he does need the money??
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

jamestheimpaler
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by jamestheimpaler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:22 pm

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:
Colgofray wrote:How many minutes did Elton play and how did he shape up? Can't fathom why Andre Brown was included in the team. I thought he should really be playing v Blues tonight.
Elton played about an hour in the defensive midfield role. Played ok in a game which we never got going, had chances, mostly missed by 'junior'

"Junior" (Jean Michel Joachim) is the same lad who was wearing #21 in the game against Villa and (I think) against Derby, too. Played RW and looked as wasteful then, if not more so, than T. Waite was for most of last season.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:13 pm

jamestheimpaler wrote:

"Junior" (Jean Michel Joachim) is the same lad who was wearing #21 in the game against Villa and (I think) against Derby, too. Played RW and looked as wasteful then, if not more so, than T. Waite was for most of last season.

JE was a big fan of TW - at least that was the impression I got from the number of times he kept playing him :lol:

So I would think 'Junior' is nailed on to sign
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

jamestheimpaler
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by jamestheimpaler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:44 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
jamestheimpaler wrote:

JE was a big fan of TW - at least that was the impression I got from the number of times he kept playing him :lol:

So I would think 'Junior' is nailed on to sign

Absolutely hopeless tonight (trialist #19). He even had a chance to really pressure the keeper from a poor backpass and didn't really look interested. Can't believe JE has given him so many runs out.