Stourbridge tonight

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

muse_harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: Stourbridge tonight

Post by muse_harrier » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:07 pm

Pointless game.

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:52 pm

But it wasn’t was it. There are plenty of players in that under 23 squad that will be called upon by the first team. They need to have that experience of playing against men before making their first team debut.

Not ideal in terms of schedule for the 1st team, but it certainly wasn’t pointless.

muse_harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by muse_harrier » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:03 pm

Of course its pointless.
The first team have played what 2 and a half games so far this pre season.
Without being disrespectful to the under 23s/academy they are not up to this level......they are being driven down this road.
Haywood,Brown,Thompson Brown and Joe Hull players deemed not good enough with us over the years have turned us over last week against our best 11.
Because Colin has run out of money its the only way he can go.

P.Underwood
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by P.Underwood » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:19 pm

aberred wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:52 pm
But it wasn’t was it. There are plenty of players in that under 23 squad that will be called upon by the first team. They need to have that experience of playing against men before making their first team debut.

Not ideal in terms of schedule for the 1st team, but it certainly wasn’t pointless.
If we’re calling up plenty of players to play in the 1st team from what played tonight then we’re going down.
Non of them remotely close to being ready to play at National North level.

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:29 pm

We will do very well to avoid relegation this season. The club and especially the first team has become an embarrassment. And where is flash he seems to have disappeared?

Zorro
1st team
1st team

Post by Zorro » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:46 am

Last night was a complete shambles.

Club is in disarray.

We need some sort of statement from the top explaining to us all exactly what is going on.

If we’re not careful, next we know the wages / PAYE won’t be being paid.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:40 am

I'm as concerned as anyone about the club's direction of travel, but there's a sense of hysteria amongst some. We lost a friendly. Our kids played. It absolutely had no point, and the U23s are a mile away from the first team - but a statement would make no sense. Same with PAYE/wages - we've just lost a friendly.

Bromsgrove was pretty poor but there's still a fortnight until the start of the season. Let's see.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Paulwj
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Paulwj » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:41 am

My concern is our attendances .
Everyone wants to support a winning
team or at least a team showing potential.
If we begin the season badly many will vote with their feet .
Villa ,West Bromwich Albion and Wolves are only up the road and we may lose even more support .
Difficult times .
Hoping our new manager can raise our spirits with some cracking loan deals soon .

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:06 am

harry211 adds a much needed sense of perspective - you can't extrapolate too much about the off-the-field situation from a meaningless friendly featuring the kids.

That said I don't think I've ever been so downbeat about a new season and, to be frank, will be thinking long and hard about whether I want to make the three-hour round trip on a Saturday/Tuesday.

Realistically this season is probably going to be about survival in this league and that isn't something that is likely to energise the non-season ticket holders like me.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:09 am

Zorro wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:46 am
Last night was a complete shambles.

Club is in disarray.

We need some sort of statement from the top explaining to us all exactly what is going on.

If we’re not careful, next we know the wages / PAYE won’t be being paid.
And the award of the most stupid post of the year goes to................. :troll:

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:12 am

Ok, not pointless for the lads who played but pretty pointless in terms of first team preparation.

Yes it’s only pre-season etc etc but the signs are far from positive. Last season was disappointing and the fact we are waiting for some good loanees to give us hope says it all.

The best I’m hoping for is the manager getting the lads to give their all, roll their sleeves up and show a backs to the wall attitude that at least gets the fans on side. There were some very poor home performances last season and Aggborough is not going to be a pleasant place if it’s like that again.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:38 am

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:12 am
Ok, not pointless for the lads who played but pretty pointless in terms of first team preparation.

Yes it’s only pre-season etc etc but the signs are far from positive. Last season was disappointing and the fact we are waiting for some good loanees to give us hope says it all.

The best I’m hoping for is the manager getting the lads to give their all, roll their sleeves up and show a backs to the wall attitude that at least gets the fans on side. There were some very poor home performances last season and Aggborough is not going to be a pleasant place if it’s like that again.
Totally agree Sheff - it is all very sad really and I have concerns for the progress and outcome for next season. The under 23s last night whilst they did their best were totally outclassed and over-run by a Stourbridge side who contained former Harriers in Michael McGrath and Ash Carter both of whom we deemed not good enough. In the first half Stourbridge created 14 chances to score to our 1 chance and that really says it all - we were lucky to go in at HT 0-0.

Whilst CG trumpets the new investment which is into the education side only I believe and the profits that will arise from that, it would seem reasonable to assume that those investors will be looking to share those profits and thus dilute the money towards the first team. Investors expect returns - period.

It looks to me as we are beginning to enter the final throw of the dice scenario - at best our bench will be made up of the under 23s and injuries / suspensions will see a number in the first team - when we get to 50 points we can all breath a sigh of relief but that will be an enormous challenge and if we struggle then the axe could fall on Pemberton and CG will step forward again - heaven help us.

If we are relegated then sense says remaining full time is unrealistic and with that will go the vision which needs us to be full time apparently.

I think we can hang on to our NLN status but it will be a massive challenge and the loan signings are going to be critical.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:54 am

Russ Penn interview in which he admits that we have a small squad and that most of the lads out there last night will play some part in the first team.

As an aside. Matt? if there's a load of background noise either stop the interview and go and tell them to turn it down or just simply move elsewhere. It's not rocket science. How many times do we hear Millerman trying to do an interview after the game with the Aggborough mower going round and round drowning it all out.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:02 am

pershoreharrier wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:38 am
Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:12 am

Totally agree Sheff - it is all very sad really and I have concerns for the progress and outcome for next season. The under 23s last night whilst they did their best were totally outclassed and over-run by a Stourbridge side who contained former Harriers in Michael McGrath and Ash Carter both of whom we deemed not good enough. In the first half Stourbridge created 14 chances to score to our 1 chance and that really says it all - we were lucky to go in at HT 0-0.

Whilst CG trumpets the new investment which is into the education side only I believe and the profits that will arise from that, it would seem reasonable to assume that those investors will be looking to share those profits and thus dilute the money towards the first team. Investors expect returns - period.

It looks to me as we are beginning to enter the final throw of the dice scenario - at best our bench will be made up of the under 23s and injuries / suspensions will see a number in the first team - when we get to 50 points we can all breath a sigh of relief but that will be an enormous challenge and if we struggle then the axe could fall on Pemberton and CG will step forward again - heaven help us.

If we are relegated then sense says remaining full time is unrealistic and with that will go the vision which needs us to be full time apparently.

I think we can hang on to our NLN status
but it will be a massive challenge and the loan signings are going to be critical.
What has this club come to when 'optimism' is all about avoiding relegation ?

Would love to know how CG thinks a squad of 11/12 senior pros is justifiable in preparation for the up-coming season, it's a disgrace.

I do feel some sympathy towards JP - I wonder if he really knew what he was letting himself in for?

Desperate times.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 am

pershoreharrier wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:38 am
The under 23s last night whilst they did their best were totally outclassed and over-run by a Stourbridge side who contained former Harriers in Michael McGrath and Ash Carter both of whom we deemed not good enough.
Blimey Ashley 'Red' Carter. He was a bit of a liability and wasn't good enough - but that was when we had a decent side :crying:

I've seen one friendly so far - vs Bristol Rovers - when we were the better side for most of the game. I'm clinging to that little raft of optimism in a sea of despondency.
Sam