Next seasons manager

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, garthrockett, harriershane

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: Next seasons manager

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:07 pm

Bucks Harrier wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:54 pm
I'd choose Brown over anyone else available. He is the best, most experienced, connected, and highest profile currently available at this and the next couple of levels up, he just is.

Failing that, standard proven formulas work - who watched Tamworth last season? How did they do it? I'd take a random guess that they didn't need to make 20 passes per every goal they scored, otherwise they would have scored a quarter the amount of goals they did.
You're right - Tamworth we're the typical nasty, physical team full of timewasting, etc. Loads of frustrated opposing fans accusing them of "dark arts" all season. Personally I think they'll get found out playing like that in the National League, but good luck to them - they've earned the right!

Grenoble Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grenoble Harrier » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:45 pm

Has anyone paused to figure out how we managed to win those 9 on the bounce in the NLN this time last year? What was the magic formula back then? Playing as a team? Nothing to lose mentality? The planets aligning perfectly? A complete fluke? Whatever it was, we need to save the blueprint of Spring 2023 for next season.
It's like Jekyll and Hyde this KHFC team - sublime, then underachieving, then giving us hope, then crashing.
When are we going to see the Hollywood blockbuster: Kidderminster Harriers, the rise, the fall, and the comeback!

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:43 pm

(And if you want to "do the maths" re: the Rushall manager, surely you have to consider the lack of resources at his disposal at a village club that's reached the highest level in its existence).
And that's the huge risk all club owners in our position have to consider; hoping a 'Rushall type' manager will become proportionately more successful the more financial budget he has at his disposal.
I only wish it were that easy........ :roll:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:04 pm

Swansea Harrier wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:38 pm
I got shown an interesting graphic yesterday (I'm trying to work out how to attach it off my phone). It was the firm guide for the last 12 games in the National League. We're 20th. So Marcus perhaps isn't as far off the mark as some would claim, especially as Brown has added his own signings to a squad he acknowledged himself to have ability, spirit and fight. (And if you want to "do the maths" re: the Rushall manager, surely you have to cobdider the lack of resources at his disposal at a village club that's reached the highest level in its existence).

Here we go again :roll: :roll: :roll: You can find just that on here (the last 10 games though)

https://harriers-online.co.uk/khfc/tables/#CF

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:18 pm

It was the firm guide for the last 12 games in the National League. We're 20th. So Marcus perhaps isn't as far off the mark as some would claim,
Last 5 form table we are 19th.
last 10 matches form wise we are 19th
last 15 matches form we are 16th.

I'm sure we'd all have been deliriously happy with 19th. :D

Northern Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Northern Harrier » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:56 pm

If Brown is staying put, you would like to think that gaining promotion has to be priority. He knows what the squad is missing, and he would have a full pre-season to get recruiting

If it’s not Brown, then play offs surely has to be the aim

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:34 am

Grenoble Harrier wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:45 pm
Has anyone paused to figure out how we managed to win those 9 on the bounce in the NLN this time last year? What was the magic formula back then? Playing as a team? Nothing to lose mentality? The planets aligning perfectly? A complete fluke? Whatever it was, we need to save the blueprint of Spring 2023 for next season.
It's like Jekyll and Hyde this KHFC team - sublime, then underachieving, then giving us hope, then crashing.
When are we going to see the Hollywood blockbuster: Kidderminster Harriers, the rise, the fall, and the comeback!
We signed a proper goal keeper, signed Morison on loan, Leesley returned from injury and went into central midfield with Byrne so that was the engine room finally sorted. Hemmings performed for the first time that season in the last two months. We also stayed injury free as we had a decent 11 but nothing on the bench. Bit of luck with injuries, bit of genius partnering Leesley with Byrne IMO.

I find it bizarre that some of those wanting us going for promotion next season are calling for us to hire a manager who manages a club in the bottom 6 and has zero experience managing a club like ourselves (big club for that level) and keeping two strikers on the decline who have a combined age of over 70.

Grenoble Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grenoble Harrier » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:46 am

Sounds to me then that we've been trying to compete in the league above with an inferior XI compared to last season's XI. That's quite unbelievable if so, and says a lot about last summer's recruitment fiasco.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:44 am

tonythescout wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:34 am
Grenoble Harrier wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:45 pm
We signed a proper goal keeper, signed Morison on loan, Leesley returned from injury and went into central midfield with Byrne so that was the engine room finally sorted. Hemmings performed for the first time that season in the last two months. We also stayed injury free as we had a decent 11 but nothing on the bench. Bit of luck with injuries, bit of genius partnering Leesley with Byrne IMO.
Morrison was absolutely massive for us last season and I understand he had initially agreed to sign for us for this season but was tempted away by Solihull Moors before he had actually put pen to paper.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:04 am

I find it bizarre that some of those wanting us going for promotion next season are calling for us to hire a manager who manages a club in the bottom 6 and has zero experience managing a club like ourselves (big club for that level)
A comment that could apply equally to both Phil Brown and Rushall's Liam McDonald to be fair. :D

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:17 am

Not really Garth. Brown has been at barrow: he has also been here a few months he knows the expectation which he would have experienced before in his career.

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:56 am

tonythescout wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:17 am
Not really Garth. Brown has been at barrow: he has also been here a few months he knows the expectation which he would have experienced before in his career.
I appreciate we will not agree on this one but McDonald knows what the NLN is all about and has done it on a shoestring with experience at Solihull as well. Of course no guarantees but I know which one is less likely to bankrupt the club. Brown and his crew's experience of the NLN is.....? Askey would also be a decent shout.
Regards Hemmo and Morgs, you can't just release the entire squad and expect to sign a whole new team. You need some continuity and they know the level and have performed better than most this year. I guess you could replace them with Miller, Bellis and JET etc.....

Northern Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Northern Harrier » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:34 pm

Let’s hope Lane doesn’t underestimate what is required like this season.

He clearly had many a conversation with Russ in pre-season who convinced him the squad was good enough to compete as it was.

Wrexham ended up with a wage spend of £6.9m to get into L2, and whilst it’s extremely unlikely (and naive!) to think we could ever get close to that, I wager our budget for the playing side was much lower than most clubs in the division.

Of course a bigger spend doesn’t guarantee promotion, but it does allow you to look in a different calibre of market for players - and this has been part of our undoing this season

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:08 pm

Marcus Garvey wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:56 am
tonythescout wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:17 am
I appreciate we will not agree on this one but McDonald knows what the NLN is all about and has done it on a shoestring with experience at Solihull as well. Of course no guarantees but I know which one is less likely to bankrupt the club. Brown and his crew's experience of the NLN is.....? Askey would also be a decent shout.
Regards Hemmo and Morgs, you can't just release the entire squad and expect to sign a whole new team. You need some continuity and they know the level and have performed better than most this year. I guess you could replace them with Miller, Bellis and JET etc.....
I havent suggested releasing the entire squad. See the other thread. I have said though that those two should be thanked for their immense contribution and go though for reasons I have mentioned before. I also said its harsh to judge Browns recruitment given we arent plush for cash and its very difficult to bring in players mid season. The summer presents a whole new graphic with regards to that. Id be surprised but also extremely disappointed if we signed the three you mentioned for next season though.

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:33 pm

Grenoble Harrier wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:46 am
Sounds to me then that we've been trying to compete in the league above with an inferior XI compared to last season's XI. That's quite unbelievable if so, and says a lot about last summer's recruitment fiasco.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Morrison, with a fit Leesley and Byrne in midfield, coupled with AMS and Hemmo up front scoring goals. This season was a downgrade on that.
Sam