Jamile Matt on trial at Sheff Utd.

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Re: Jamile Matt on trial at Sheff Utd.

Post by centreforeword » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:56 pm

pb12345 wrote:Could it possibly be, that until his case sorted with border agency, that he is in fact not allowed to train with us (as his contracted club) until clearance through, so he is actually just getting himself fit and sharp? Possibly not, but thats the only thing I can think of regarding any "misunderstanding"
We have had special dispensation from the Border Agency enabling him to train with us and all parties are aware of that

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Strange, Danny Wilson getting caught up in this 'mix up' and thinking it was a trial!! What a load of tripe, it was clearly a trial and the agent obviously went to the same 'honesty' school as John Terry. How stupid do they think we are. Can't see how he has a future now with us and we should get rid on our own terms. Forgot about a passport.....forgot about a contract..........

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:05 pm

This stinks, sell him.

Lovejoy
1st team
1st team

Post by Lovejoy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:21 pm

I think what the club needs to know/find out is, was Jamma told by his agent that he had informed Harriers and it is ok to go SU to train and that KHFC were ok with it or did Jamma take the decision on his own and decide to go to SU?

Has the agent been touting a contracted player around various clubs with or without the knowledge of KHFC?

Has the border agency given special dispensation for Matt to train with Harriers and Harriers ONLY or is he clear to train where he likes?

Either way Jamma and his agent don't come out of this very well.

We will just have to wait and see where this goes over the next few days.

pb12345
1st team
1st team

Post by pb12345 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:23 pm

Such a shame, with so much optimism of late, why does something ALWAYS rear its ugly head to spoil things for us Harriers fans!? This will just create bad feeling sooner or later, so must be sorted one way or another and quickly!

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:43 pm

I dont think this will sort itself quickly- the granting of citizenship is the rate determining step for matt to play football again - for anyone- and until the civil servants involved get their arses in gear and its all in black & white the issue still remains.

As it stands at the moment the basic point is its irrelevent if he's been on trial anywhere- hes not going to be starting the season in our - or any other - team. :roll:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:06 pm

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Phil

The report is a good precise of the story - as we know it.

My only criticism would be your use of the word 'naivety' , I think you're giving him far too much
latitude
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:31 am

Great article Phil. Very journalistic.

Also, I agree with your summary completely.

No need to deamonise Matt, he is obviously a bit thick to think this would not have been found out and damage his PR, but I suspect that the agent is the one who has caused this situation. Even if Matt was being a little bit selfish, so what. Live and let live, humans are all ultimately selfish creatures.

If he comes back, apologises and then scores a few goals, all will be forgiven as far as I am concerned.

He must sack his agent. Agents are not employed to make you unpopular (even if it benefits them in the long run). Such blood sucking leeches. They are the most poisonous element of the modern game.

I still think that there should be a heavy agent tax introduced to fund grass roots development. If they don't like that, then they could always switch to PPI claims.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:34 am

No need to deamonise Matt, he is obviously a bit thick to think this would not have been found out and damage his PR, but I suspect that the agent is the one who has caused this situation. Even if Matt was being a little bit selfish, so what. Live and let live, humans are all ultimately selfish creatures.

If he comes back, apologises and then scores a few goals, all will be forgiven as far as I am concerned.

That's what I call naive.

Ultimately whatever decisions are made by the player, are his and his alone, agents can give advice/guidance - but in the end it's the individual player who is accountable, the whole saga with Jamille Matt is looking like a PR disaster for the Harriers and the only culprit in all of this is the player himself, if he is stupid enough to think that being contracted to KHFC (according to the club) allows him to swan off to look for employment somewhere else - then he deserves whatever sanctions come his way. What this latest episode does do, is call into question the duplicity of the individual in the case of his UK status and right to reside.
Harriers are being made to look (at best) loose in their governance of the situation -, at worst incompetent, that they have not kept a closer eye on the player's whereabouts - bearing in mind that we were told he was given leave to start training pre season, and that KHFC must have intimated their intentions with the contract extension issue. Yet all this seems to have come totally out of the blue, to all at the club - did no one ask "Where's Matt?"

One things for sure, IF the facts are as reported, Jamma will have to do better than " I was training with a mate" - I suppose that shows his limitations.

As for 'all being forgiven' ..................................
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:26 am

"...as far as I am concerned."

Which part of that is naive? That we are all ultimately selfish? That Matt has been a fool?

I just fear a scenario where bone heads start booing one of our own (and best) players. It will put a downer on the team which we can't afford.

I completely disagree on your stance regarding the image of the club. I don't think it looks at all bad. IMO it looks bad for Matt and the agent ... and maybe SU who should have known he was contracted. Danny Wilsons comments suggest that they had enough knowledge of his employment status.

I think the club are the only party who do not have any mud on them. What on earth more could they have done? Put a GPS on him?

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:29 am

I think we really do have to wait for all the facts to come out, dull as that is. I don't think it looks especially bad on KHFC, Jamma and his agent look to be on dodgy ground at this stage, though.

ograzebrook - It will not surprise you that I'll beg to differ re: humans being ultimately selfish (to quote Depeche Mode). It's our ability to strive to rise above the baser instincts that shouls set us apart from the animals.

However, I do agree with you that goal music is an abomination, and have said so in my response to KHIST's consultation.

It'll be nice to have some proper football to talk about soon... :smile:

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:45 am

Agree Jo.

Regarding selfishness - this is a topic for another thread on evolution. I am game if you are :bleeaarrgghh:

Unfortunately, the selfish are the ones who often succeed. And he who succeed's, breeds.

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Just spoken to a colleague who's just came off the phone to Danny Wilson. Jamma is back with Harriers after the misunderstanding.

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:48 pm

Do you work in football or is your colleague a friend of Danny Wilsons?

Just curious.