Rowe

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

vivacollito
Subs bench
Subs bench

Rowe

Post by vivacollito » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:46 am

Stourbridge beat Redditch 6 - 1 yesterday. Guess who scored 4 of the Stourbridge goals.....

http://glassboys.the-talk.net/t217-redditch-away

:wall:

Pie in the Sky
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: Rowe

Post by Pie in the Sky » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:53 am

His level is maybe bottom half of Skrill North/South, so this is to be expected really.

Not sure why he went back to Stourbridge. I can't believe that a North/South team didn't offer to take him on loan, so I'd guess he lacks ambition. Seems he's happy going back to PT next year and being a big fish in a small pond? Rather than trying to save his pro career by going on loan to somewhere better.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:57 am

Right...

He could hack it in the Conference with a mid/lower mid-table side. The guy can score goals, and has done for us. The problem is he never gets a consistent run in the side with the same person up-front, unless it's Malbon which as a partnership is never going to work.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:17 am

harry211 wrote:Right...

He could hack it in the Conference with a mid/lower mid-table side. The guy can score goals, and has done for us. The problem is he never gets a consistent run in the side with the same person up-front, unless it's Malbon which as a partnership is never going to work.
Nail firmly hit.

Perhaps under a manager who actually wanted him at the club - RR could be a success ay Kiddy - he was never given the chance - I for one don't expect to see him back at Aggborough (playing for Harriers).
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 am

You can't have it all ways though. Gash and Malbon was an effective partnership so they played. Rowe therefore didn't get a run in the team. However, he has had plenty of game time and although he's scored some good goals his all round play didn't seem to be up to this level. We all agree that having five strikers is too many so giving him a chance elsewhere makes sense. The manager didn't really want him in the first place, he's on good money allegedly so get him off the wage bill (although we're probably still picking up most of the tab). This is the problem when you sign players the manager doesn't want.

As long as he's scoring elsewhere though this gives fans plenty of opportunity to claim he is the solution to any problem that arises!

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:59 am

Sheffield Harrier wrote:You can't have it all ways though. Gash and Malbon was an effective partnership so they played. Rowe therefore didn't get a run in the team. However, he has had plenty of game time and although he's scored some good goals his all round play didn't seem to be up to this level. We all agree that having five strikers is too many so giving him a chance elsewhere makes sense. The manager didn't really want him in the first place, he's on good money allegedly so get him off the wage bill (although we're probably still picking up most of the tab). This is the problem when you sign players the manager doesn't want.

As long as he's scoring elsewhere though this gives fans plenty of opportunity to claim he is the solution to any problem that arises!
For once I agree 100% with you !!

Rowe was the problem not the solution given the way Steve Burr sets his team up - Malbon & Rowe (together)was the biggest no-no under Burr - HMmmmmmmm I had forgotten Exodus & Austin :wink:

However, I think RR could be a success at Conference level - played off a big striker - Don't think he was motivated enough at Kiddy, or perhaps he just couldn't be ar$ed once he knew he was persona non grata ( same thing really)
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:04 am

This is nice isn't it Mike!

I agree..........

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:52 am

:like: :carols:

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:59 am

Sorry guys, can't go with you on this one. Goals per time played, RR has a better record than Gash and Malbon and, of the three, he is a more natural finisher. Of late, our conversion of chances into goals ratio is pretty poor. I'd much prefer the RR alternative off the bench than a certain other option still at the club but hasn't even graced the bench yet. Just my opinion guys.

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:15 pm

Colgofray wrote:Sorry guys, can't go with you on this one. Goals per time played, RR has a better record than Gash and Malbon and, of the three, he is a more natural finisher. Of late, our conversion of chances into goals ratio is pretty poor. I'd much prefer the RR alternative off the bench than a certain other option still at the club but hasn't even graced the bench yet. Just my opinion guys.
Therein lies the problem. RR's strength for us was a decent rate of goals as an impact sub. As a starter, he generally disappointed. The roles are very different, and it's much easier to over-perform as a sub for the last 20 minutes. If he wasn't happy with that role, it's best for all that he moves on. Lolley looks capable of filling the impact sub role, and is a cheaper option (although I doubt we're saving much on RR's wages).

Some things just don't work out. The fact he's returned to Stourbridge rather than playing at a higher level might give a hint to some underlying issues. I can't say I've missed Rowe, but I wish him well. If things work out that he does ever return then I will be hopeful rather than expectant that he can do a job for us.

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Colgofray wrote:Sorry guys, can't go with you on this one. Goals per time played, RR has a better record than Gash and Malbon and, of the three, he is a more natural finisher. Of late, our conversion of chances into goals ratio is pretty poor. I'd much prefer the RR alternative off the bench than a certain other option still at the club but hasn't even graced the bench yet. Just my opinion guys.
It's not just to do with goals. RR was playing during the start of the season during our losing streaks.

He is a bad influence on the club. Apparently, not very good for team morale, if you catch my drift.

Maton
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Maton » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:33 pm

He doesn't do enough outside the box for me. Yes he can finish but he offers little else in my opinion.

I dont think he has the desire to prove himself as a professional footballer. Dont forget Burr would have seen him daily at training. I think the fact that he would rather got to part time Stourbridge than try and prove himself as a proffesional footballer at another Conference side speaks volumes, i'm sure there would have been interest.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Maton wrote:He doesn't do enough outside the box for me. Yes he can finish but he offers little else in my opinion.

I dont think he has the desire to prove himself as a professional footballer. Dont forget Burr would have seen him daily at training. I think the fact that he would rather got to part time Stourbridge than try and prove himself as a proffesional footballer at another Conference side speaks volumes, i'm sure there would have been interest.
I think SB is too canny to let RR go to another Conference Premier team - North/South yes, but he knows Rowe can score goals, he's proved that and to let a rival club have that fire power might work against Harriers over the course of the season.

he's better off where he is, from Kiddy's point of view.

Richard Cranium
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Richard Cranium » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:00 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Maton wrote:He doesn't do enough outside the box for me. Yes he can finish but he offers little else in my opinion.

I think SB is too canny to let RR go to another Conference Premier team - North/South yes, but he knows Rowe can score goals, he's proved that and to let a rival club have that fire power might work against Harriers over the course of the season.

he's better off where he is, from Kiddy's point of view.

Alternatively, he could score the goals that allow a Tamworth or similar side take points off teams such as Cambridge, FGR, Wrexham etc, and actually help us.

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Pie in the Sky wrote:His level is maybe bottom half of Skrill North/South, so this is to be expected really.

Not sure why he went back to Stourbridge. I can't believe that a North/South team didn't offer to take him on loan, so I'd guess he lacks ambition. Seems he's happy going back to PT next year and being a big fish in a small pond? Rather than trying to save his pro career by going on loan to somewhere better.
Can only assume this is a bit tongue in cheek. Im sure he could easily handle a starting berth in a Conf Prem team. Its just not going to be us. He only needs a bit of dedicated coaching and a slight change in attitude (it seems). Only got a glimpse of his character in an interview on player and he seemed very introverted and un-elequant.

Some of his goals were breathtaking. The late goal away at Grimsby 2 season ago is a stand out one - his dribble into the box was sublime - he is a real threat with the ball at his feet around the box.

Anyway - classic example of why only managers should sign players. Board members should stick to finance and administration.