non League Day

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: non League Day

Post by garthrockett » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:54 am

The local press might help too.
Over and above the usual match reports one can't count on The Shuttle going that extra yard anymore.
Newsquest have ruined what was a decent local newspaper (the websites a complete mess too) and with the office decamping to Stourbridge one gets an idea on how comitted they seem to be to the area.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Maton
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Maton » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:25 am

Valid point Owen. KHIST have a board meeting tommorrow so i will see that the lottery idea is discussed. We may have left it a little too late for Saturday though as i think we'd struggle to get it in the Shuttle as they will already be reporting on the developments of the last week at KHFC. We also had some pictures taken at the ground last week with Brian Murdoch for non league day that should hopefully also feature.

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:58 pm

Im bringing my girlfriends little brother who is 12, Do I just turn up at the turnstile with him and hand over £11 or do I need to get him a ticket? Usually adults and children go through separate turnstiles.

DownTheLine
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by DownTheLine » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:36 pm

The Development Centre teams will be doing a lap round the pitch at the half time, so a chance to see some potential stars of the future as well.

:khfc:

Maton
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Maton » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:55 pm

pricey5 wrote:Im bringing my girlfriends little brother who is 12, Do I just turn up at the turnstile with him and hand over £11 or do I need to get him a ticket? Usually adults and children go through separate turnstiles.
We've suggested cash on the turnstile at the same entrance but awaiting confirmation from the club. Will sort some signs on the entrances to make it as clear as possible.

Glad the DC teams will be parading round the pitch. There will also be a half time 'thunderbirds' competition on the pitch at half time.

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:37 pm

"There will also be a half time 'thunderbirds' competition on the pitch at half time."

Can we have the theme music too Maton? :grin:

Maton
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Maton » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:03 pm

Colgofray wrote:"There will also be a half time 'thunderbirds' competition on the pitch at half time."

Can we have the theme music too Maton? :grin:
Your easily pleased! Yes it's being played.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:37 pm

garthrockett wrote:
The local press might help too.
Over and above the usual match reports one can't count on The Shuttle going that extra yard anymore.
Newsquest have ruined what was a decent local newspaper (the websites a complete mess too) and with the office decamping to Stourbridge one gets an idea on how comitted they seem to be to the area.
Garth - Pete does a cracking job especially when you consider he has to help cover the Sports Sections of five or six local papers all by himself (Kiddy, Stourbridge, Alcester, Redditch, Bromsgrove as far as I was aware when I was last there). Local press is in decline and downsizing.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Garth - Pete does a cracking job especially when you consider he has to help cover the Sports Sections of five or six local papers all by himself (Kiddy, Stourbridge, Alcester, Redditch, Bromsgrove as far as I was aware when I was last there). Local press is in decline and downsizing.
Harry- yes, the normal match reports and on line as-it happens blogs are fine but the Shuttle doesnt have the resources or (it seems) the upper management desire to really push the boat out for the non-league day.
Pete has all my sympathy working for Newsquest!

The E&S (being a bigger group) covers things in a bit more depth but what could they really do to increase the impact of saturdays one-off initiative? :???:

Maton
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Maton » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:16 pm

I have to defend Pete at the Shuttle. Whenever I need help plugging anything like this he is very obliging. As has been mentioned he has a large area to cover and only has so much space available. We had some photos taken last week and hopefully the coverage is good this week.

We've been trying to sort something all week with the express and star as we'd love to get something in front of the villa/blues/wolves/Albion fans. They are taking pictures tommorrow so I'll keep my thoughts on them to myself for now. We'll see.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:24 am

Would I be right in suggesting that most if not all of the promotional work for this Saturday, seems to be being done by KHIST represented by a few very hard working fans?

Is the club (Directors) doing anything to promote Non League Day?
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:40 am

I think you're right Mike in-so-much-as the lions share of the work and organisation is being carried out by the KHIST guys with the 'co-operation and support' of the club itself.

Maton
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Maton » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:11 am

After discussing the idea once the fixtures were released I formed a working party that comprises of 8 people. Four of us are not on the KHIST board. We submitted the idea to the KHFC board through the KHIST representative who have were happy for us to proceed. Matt Wall at the club has been very supportive and helpful.

Hopefully we get a good response Saturday as the group have put in a lot of hard work. It'll be interesting to see what effect this has.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:08 am

Last season for Gateshead at home we got 2,110, although it was the opening day -the previous season was 1,639.
So I guess anything around 2,000 would be a good return?? :roll:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:33 am

garthrockett wrote:Last season for Gateshead at home we got 2,110, although it was the opening day -the previous season was 1,639.
So I guess anything around 2,000 would be a good return?? :roll:

Bearing in mind there must be an inordinate amount of 'glory hunters' in the district (Stockport & Wrexham games two seasons ago) and the fact that it is Non League day with the 'Big'clubs not playing - I would have thought 2000 would be a tad disappointing.

Gateshead will probably bring 100-150 and a normal Harriers game when Harriers are going well at this time of the year can produce 1900/2000 home fans - so I would suggest somewhere in the region of 2500/2600 - and of course the reduced ticket price might help.

:red_army:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale