Far too radical - I know

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Far too radical - I know

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:00 am

But

In the light of the constraints limiting GW bringing in new faces, the only option is to try and fix things (midfield) with what he has.

Could Kevin Nicholson play the role as 'playmaker'.

Go five at the back Green (give him a chance) Gowling, Dunkley & Grimes (that way he gets to play where he can be effective) and Johnson who did play in that role pre season and did well - wing backs with pace.

Put Nicho alongside Storer and either Gitto of Verma as the three in the middle with Gashy & Reid together up front.

For me Nicho has the delivery and the necessary ball skills to do the job and let's be honest here he certainly wouldn't be any worse than the current incumbents.

Would KN be a loss defensively? With Grimes at left C/B (again a role he's done pre season) I don't think so.

For me this might be one answer to Harriers issues in the middle.

I did say it was radical

Worth a try ?
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Re: Far too radical - I know

Post by Krasnyi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:20 am

I like it. Makes more sense than the current formation.

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:52 am

It's good to have this kind of discussion.

I would say why change a successful defence?

Why play our most creative player in a position where he may end up defending at left back for long periods if we do not have the ball?

Why play Nicholson in an alien position? I'm assuming he hasn't played there in the past, maybe he has. I think Grimes did a specific job in midfield against Gateshead and I'm surprised he has continued there. Whild must have his reasons.

I would bring Gittings in when fit, give Verma some more minutes, try and settle on a front pairing for a run of games, Gash and Reid or Styche?

Perhaps a loan midfielder, a youngster from the leagues above, for next to nothing would help freshen things up, particularly if Gittings not fit. But would have to be a work experience type loan.

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:34 pm

After listening to GW on H & W on Saturday night I dont think we are in a position to bring anybody in on loan. He said the difference between us and Grimsby was that they were able to bring in two loan players on Friday and were werent.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:46 pm

sandman wrote:It's good to have this kind of discussion.

I would say why change a successful defence?

Why play our most creative player in a position where he may end up defending at left back for long periods if we do not have the ball?

Why play Nicholson in an alien position? I'm assuming he hasn't played there in the past, maybe he has. I think Grimes did a specific job in midfield against Gateshead and I'm surprised he has continued there. Whild must have his reasons.

I would bring Gittings in when fit, give Verma some more minutes, try and settle on a front pairing for a run of games, Gash and Reid or Styche?

Perhaps a loan midfielder, a youngster from the leagues above, for next to nothing would help freshen things up, particularly if Gittings not fit. But would have to be a work experience type loan.
All good reasoning why GW should keep to the status quo, except you overlooked two rather important facts -a) Harriers lost to a side that they could have beaten and b) Harriers midfield created zilch.

I offered the concept out of my frustrations on Saturday, because make no mistake , IF GW carries on with that rag bag of misfits in midfield - there will be more Grimsby's & Southport's !!

I see Grimes (Twitter) possibly has a major foot injury - so perhaps for the time being this discussion is somewhat academic, but nevertheless the concerns remain.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

DownTheLine
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by DownTheLine » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Did anybody hear the comment that was made on H&W about our players going on strike this week?

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:56 pm

DonutUK wrote:Did anybody hear the comment that was made on H&W about our players going on strike this week?

Wrong thread !! :oops2:

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:10 pm

I must say that playing Grimes in midfield does baffle me.

I think we do have an excellent back four - we have four very decent strikers - but we do struggle in midfield to feed the strikers. Personally I look forward to seeing a fully fit Callum Gittings back in there.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:18 pm

I don't think moving Marvin into defence is the best idea, as he's the only midfielder capable of scaring the oppositions. Giving him defensive duties wouldn't be a great plan.

The idea of switching Grimes and Dunks had crossed my mind. If you're going to play a defender in midfield then surely Dunkley is a much better all round footballer?

Semper Idem
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Semper Idem » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:33 pm

It doesn't matter who play in midfield whilst the defenders continue to launch it over their heads and take them out of the game! He wasn't popular in some sections in the crowd but we miss a player like Lee Fowler, he'd always drop deep to collect the ball and try and play from the back, the defence also had the confidence in his ability to give him the ball as well!

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:10 pm

Semper Idem wrote:It doesn't matter who play in midfield whilst the defenders continue to launch it over their heads and take them out of the game! He wasn't popular in some sections in the crowd but we miss a player like Lee Fowler, he'd always drop deep to collect the ball and try and play from the back, the defence also had the confidence in his ability to give him the ball as well!
Ever thought why that is?

The clue to the answer is your next comment . :wink:

Semper Idem
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Semper Idem » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:49 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Semper Idem wrote:It doesn't matter who play in midfield whilst the defenders continue to launch it over their heads and take them out of the game! He wasn't popular in some sections in the crowd but we miss a player like Lee Fowler, he'd always drop deep to collect the ball and try and play from the back, the defence also had the confidence in his ability to give him the ball as well!
Ever thought why that is?

The clue to the answer is your next comment . :wink:
Maybe so, I think the tactics/coaching have a bearing on it also, not sure what position Whild played in but with the likes of Creights/Gowling on the coaching team maybe the lump up has become part of our game!

I personally don't believe Nicholson is the answer as you would lose the quality in the wide area plus who would you play left back? Grimes isn't the answer in midfield, you might as well get O'Keefe back! Let's hope Super Gitto comes back in from injury and shows some of the form from last season.

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:53 pm

For what it's worth if I was left with the decision of picking the team it would be 4-3-1-2; Lewis - Nicholson, Chey, Gowling, Hodgkiss - Storer, Gitto, Verma - Johnson (as a winger either side behind the front 2) - Gash, Reid.

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Any feedback on how O'Keefe is doing?

KHFCmatt
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by KHFCmatt » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:18 am

I wouldn't mind seeing this, as I've stated in the match thread - Grimes added nothing to the games against Grimsby and formerly Alty and we seem to be playing a typical lopsided formation with Johnson being our only winger in the starting XI. Grimes did perform better when moved further central in the 2nd half against Alty, however you've got to feel sorry for him as I'm sure 90% of us can see that he's not comfortable there. We have midfielders on the bench that would do a much better job than him in that role.

One of those could be Nicho as he offers us a hell of a lot with his experience and has great delivery, I would be interested to see if he could play this playmaker role. I would love to see Gittings back in the starting XI as I feel he offers us something different to what we've had in the last couple of games and that's someone in the central of midfield that can carry the ball forward, rather than always looking for a pass as soon as they receive it.

Nicho would be a better alternative to Grimes in a similar position as the former enjoys being out on the flank and is comfortable with the ball at his feet - whereas Grimes is constantly wanting to head to a more central position. For what it's worth I would go with a bit of a diamond formation.

Lewis,
Hodgkiss Gowling Dunkley Grimes/Green
Storer
Gittings Nicholson
Johnson(free role)
Gash Reid