UKIP

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, garthrockett, harriershane

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: UKIP

Post by garthrockett » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:04 pm

From the Dover Express:

"DOVER MP Charlie Elphicke has urged Dover Athletic chiefs to hand back sponsorship money offered by the local Ukip branch.
Tomorrow’s Conference clash with Forest Green Rovers is set to be sponsored by 12 individuals “on behalf of Ukip’s Dover and Deal branch”, according one of the donors parliamentary candidate David Little.
He refused to tell the Express how much he had forked out, saying arrangements were made by the Ukip branch secretary.
A number of Athletic fans vowed to boycott the game on social media in light of the news.
Mr Elphicke said: “I think Dover Athletic Football Club should hand David Little his money back. I have already had loads of complaints from people in the area who say they don’t want David Little dirtying the beautiful game with his filthy politics.

Dover Athletic chairman Jim Parmenter has hit back at the MP’s comments.
He told the Express: “I think Mr Elphicke should keep his nose out of this and mind his own business.
“He’s a hypocrite, because he has availed himself of our football club’s hospitality on many occasions. He used a photo of himself wearing a club scarf in election material, and he’s never helped the club in any way.The club doesn’t support any political party, and Mr Elphicke can’t criticise one for supporting the club when he himself has taken political advantage from it.”
David Little said: “This was just a way of showing support for a cherished asset in Dover.I’ve always been a fan so a few of us decided to put some money together to sponsor the game on behalf of the Dover and Deal Ukip branch.”
Labour Cllr Peter Wallace said: “I think people just want to forget about everything and enjoy their Saturday at the football.
“Ukip recently sponsored the match day programme for Broadstairs Town FC, so I think it might be part of a wider strategy.”
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:06 am

I REALLY don't want to go round in ever-decreasing circles on this again, but Mike, you really do beggar belief...

So you don't pay tax, well bully for you. I assume neither do you use roads, pavement, street lights, libraries, health care, schools, our armed forces for your protection, etc, etc? And neither do any of your loved ones?

If that is the case, I suspect your are even more unique than we all already thought. But, as you say, what do we know?

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:55 am

Well said JS.
"The death of democracy is not likely to be by assassination or ambush. It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment." (Robert Maynard Hutchins)
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:38 pm

As I said, resurecting this thread will only let the bigot's out of their caves.

The clue to my stance on politics ,,"is that I don't LET IT IN to my life" and therefore It doesn't affect*** me.

*** definition of affect - touch the feelings of; move emotionally.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:46 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:As I said, resurecting this thread will only let the bigot's out of their caves.

The clue to my stance on politics ,,"is that I don't LET IT IN to my life" and therefore It doesn't affect*** me.

*** definition of effect - touch the feelings of; move emotionally.
Affect of effect? The EFFECTS of policies will AFFECT you and your family. So politics certainly matters, one way or another - to argue otherwise shows that, tragically, you're the blinkered bigot here (and bigots, plural, does not need an apostrophe - as they teach in schools, paid for by the taxpayer, and run by local and national government - thereby you and me).

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:56 pm

Joe Stalin wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:As I said, resurecting this thread will only let the bigot's out of their caves.

*** definition of effect - touch the feelings of; move emotionally.
Affect of effect? It certainly does, one way or another - to argue otherwise shows that, tragically, you're the blinkered bigot here (and bigots, plural, does not need an apostrophe - as they teach in schools, paid for by the taxpayer, and run by local and national government - thereby you and me).
Typo - which I have corrected.

Thank you for the english lesson,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As I said politics and religion - the basis for all that is 'trouble' in this world and you are proving the case every time you hit the keys. It is a great shame that insults about something completely detached from anything 'Harriers' brings this otherwise excellent forum, down to the level of personal abuse.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:01 pm

Mike, Mike, Mike - you're the one who started throwing the bigot stuff around first. Don't try lecturing people from your pulpit and not expect people to throw it back in your face.

Such is politics.

And if you don't like it, perhaps allow yourself to leave the thread?

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:22 pm

definition of bigotry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Nuff said

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:25 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:definition of bigotry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Nuff said
Wow, it's like Countdown with you and your thesaurus today, isn't it?

As Garth alluded to, above, no problem with differing opinions - it's the "Being Proud of having No Opinion" thing lots of us struggle with - after all, millions died in wars so that you could take a teenie weenie bit of interest in running your society.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Joe Stalin wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:definition of bigotry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Nuff said

As Garth alluded to, above, no problem with differing opinions - it's the "Being Proud of having No Opinion" thing lots of us struggle with - after all, millions died in wars so that you could take a teenie weenie bit of interest in running your society.

And did you ever stop to think what might have started those wars - one or the other.

John Lennon had it about right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,," Imagine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhq-yO1KN8

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:32 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Joe Stalin wrote:

Nuff said

And did you ever stop to think what might have started those wars - one or the other.

Yeah, the world would be much better if no-one had any opinion on anything. Of course. Chamberlain favoured the "let's not get involved in fighting the far right" approach in 1938/9. That worked out well.

Last word?

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:38 pm

Joe Stalin wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
Joe Stalin wrote:

Nuff said

Yeah, the world would be much better if no-one had any opinion on anything. Of course. Chamberlain favoured the "let's not get involved in fighting the far right" approach in 1938/9. That worked out well.

Last word?
Oh I have opinions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,read my"Scores on the Doors" sometime - then again I expect that would be too mundane a subject, football

Joe Stalin
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Joe Stalin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:19 pm

must...have...last...word...

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:28 pm

No! I must...have...last...word... :grin: