England's next manager

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Charlie Sheen

Re: England's next manager

Post by Charlie Sheen » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:12 pm

I'm pretty sure if Hoddle wanted to be a manager again, his last job wouldn't have been Wolves in 2006. Just accept he doesn't want to manage anymore.

I would go for Nigel Clough. As his old man was criminally denied the job, it's only right that the son should interject his dad's spirit into the team

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:19 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:I would agree with giving Allardyce a go - but I don't think he will get a look in when the fat cats draw up their short list.

Rumours abound that Big Sam will indeed be interviewed for the job,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well well.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:05 pm

Big Sam is now bookies favourite, though one bookie said that at this stage & odds, it`s not significant.

Rumour has it that Klopps extended contract was to keep him out of the running.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Euro 2016

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:13 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:A poor tournament in terms of quality, goals and excitement.

Only 108 goals in 51 matches.

Not one outstanding team.

Germany were the best team, for me, but got beaten by France.

And France better than Portugal but got beaten too. That is knock-out football for you.

So much hangs on one mistake, one dodgy refereeing decision, and in many cases penalty kicks after extra time.

*********Harry Redknapp? Have you got a source, I can't see anything?

Several articles in the media linking Reknapp as a senior figure to guide a younger manager maybe Eddie Howe who played under 'arry.

Apparently the F A bigwigs have interviewed Redknapp with this in mind - which is a shock if I'm honest after they gave Hodgson the nod the last time.

Big success that was. :oops2:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:14 pm

Sam 2/1
Redknapp 25/1
Howe 10/1

Money talks.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:24 pm

It'll be an absolute travesty if Harry Redknapp has anything to do with the England side. He has a far better reputation than is deserved.

Sam is the best of a bad bunch at the moment, and that's a concern in itself.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:39 pm

harry211 wrote:It'll be an absolute travesty if Harry Redknapp has anything to do with the England side. He has a far better reputation than is deserved.

In your opinion.

Others might think differently,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:

Hartleburyharrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Hartleburyharrier » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:11 pm

I wouldn't be too upset if Big Sam got the nod, Steve Bruce would be a good shout, too. We've tried the foreign boys and the 'pedigree' boys, let's give the job to a good old-fashioned, no-frills, hard working bloke.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:55 am

redandwhitemike wrote:
harry211 wrote:It'll be an absolute travesty if Harry Redknapp has anything to do with the England side. He has a far better reputation than is deserved.

In your opinion.

Its a given that it is his opinion, Mike.

Just like every one of your opinions.

But, no doubt, you feel that yours are more than opinions. :)
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:52 am

All opinions are equal, but some are more equal than others.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:22 am

All opinions are equal, but some are more equal than others.
All opinions are drivel, but some are more drivel than others. :lol:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Northern Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Northern Harrier » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:16 am

For what it's worth..

England have a team of exciting attacking footballers (mostly inexperienced at a high C.L level) that need encouraging not stifling. Roy didn't know how to get the best out of them (playing 433 and leaving Kane isolated essentially.)

Big Sam is the not the manager to develop and get the best from this team. His tactics are all about stifling the opposition and using route 1 type tactics. Welcome back to long balls and Andy Carroll up front. English managers are not tactically switched on enough for me.

The answer..well thats the FA's job. But they could do ALOT worse than Lauren Blanc or the duo of Eddie and Redknapp - don't make me start on the Steve Bruce suggestion!

They need a plan from grass routes all the way up - from tactics to the way they play as a team. Its what Belgium have done and they didn't do too badly (I appreciate they didn't win this time but they have the potential in the future too and I think they will soon enough)

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:21 am

After googling, the only reference I can find to the Howe/Redknapp 'dream ticket' is an article in the Evening Standard.

By Harry Redknapp.

:rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:09 am

Northern Harrier wrote:For what it's worth..

England have a team of exciting attacking footballers (mostly inexperienced at a high C.L level) that need encouraging not stifling. Roy didn't know how to get the best out of them (playing 433 and leaving Kane isolated essentially.)

Big Sam is the not the manager to develop and get the best from this team. His tactics are all about stifling the opposition and using route 1 type tactics. Welcome back to long balls and Andy Carroll up front. English managers are not tactically switched on enough for me.

The answer..well thats the FA's job. But they could do ALOT worse than Lauren Blanc or the duo of Eddie and Redknapp - don't make me start on the Steve Bruce suggestion!

They need a plan from grass routes all the way up - from tactics to the way they play as a team. Its what Belgium have done and they didn't do too badly (I appreciate they didn't win this time but they have the potential in the future too and I think they will soon enough)
The only issue I have with the 'idealist' concept of trying to get England's exciting attacking players play like other national sides (eg Belgium) is that in the Premier League our top English players (eg Kane/Vardy) play in teams including quality foreigners,,,,,,,,,

I'm not too sure, bearing in mind how Big Sam maintained Sunderland's Premier League status, that one can accuse him of not getting the best from his team,,,,,,,,,,and one of Italy's main tactics which has brought so much success is - stifling the opposition!!

And I'm convinced that Andy Carroll would have been a been an option in the Iceland game that could have made a difference.

'Playing the right way' as Belgium tried to do, doesn't always bring success, even at our level ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

I would be quite happy for Big Sam to be given a go - lets be honest he couldn't do any worse that either MacLaren who got the job when he was last in the mix, or Hodgson who over complicated tactics to the point where the players became disillusioned with his constant reinventing of formations.

But the FA in their infinite wisdom will more than likely F**K it up again.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:26 am

Cal's Spongebag wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:

In your opinion.

Its a given that it is his opinion, Mike.

Just like every one of your opinions.

But, no doubt, you feel that yours are more than opinions. :)

To be fair I usually agree with what harry211 says - certainly where Harriers are concerned, so I value his opinion, maybe I should have worded that differently.

I know most on here don't like Harry Redknapp and think he's a crook, even though he was cleared of all charges of tax evasion and it was generally accepted that the case should never have been brought against him.

But hey ho we shouldn't let justice get in the way of denigrating one of England's successful manager's who can produce teams with flair and style.

Harry Redknapp is from the same mould as Terry Venables - probably the best England manager in recent times, (Euro 96) who unfortunately became a fall guy for ''The Wally with a Brolly'' .