England's next manager

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: England's next manager

Post by Mystic » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:17 pm

'Arry, Big Sam, Steve Bruce. God help us.

To be honest though whoever is manager the players will still find an excuse why they weren't able to perform, with Rooney presumably demanding he plays sweeper by 2018.

sprials
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by sprials » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:46 pm

Mystic wrote:'Arry, Big Sam, Steve Bruce. God help us.

To be honest though whoever is manager the players will still find an excuse why they weren't able to perform, with Rooney presumably demanding he plays sweeper by 2018.

:like: well said
youth team....THE WAY FORWARD

grassroots is where it all starts, support it before it's too late

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:57 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Northern Harrier wrote:For what it's worth..

England have a team of exciting attacking footballers (mostly inexperienced at a high C.L level) that need encouraging not stifling. Roy didn't know how to get the best out of them (playing 433 and leaving Kane isolated essentially.)

Big Sam is the not the manager to develop and get the best from this team. His tactics are all about stifling the opposition and using route 1 type tactics. Welcome back to long balls and Andy Carroll up front. English managers are not tactically switched on enough for me.

The answer..well thats the FA's job. But they could do ALOT worse than Lauren Blanc or the duo of Eddie and Redknapp - don't make me start on the Steve Bruce suggestion!

They need a plan from grass routes all the way up - from tactics to the way they play as a team. Its what Belgium have done and they didn't do too badly (I appreciate they didn't win this time but they have the potential in the future too and I think they will soon enough)
The only issue I have with the 'idealist' concept of trying to get England's exciting attacking players play like other national sides (eg Belgium) is that in the Premier League our top English players (eg Kane/Vardy) play in teams including quality foreigners,,,,,,,,,

I'm not too sure, bearing in mind how Big Sam maintained Sunderland's Premier League status, that one can accuse him of not getting the best from his team,,,,,,,,,,and one of Italy's main tactics which has brought so much success is - stifling the opposition!!

And I'm convinced that Andy Carroll would have been a been an option in the Iceland game that could have made a difference.

'Playing the right way' as Belgium tried to do, doesn't always bring success, even at our level ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

I would be quite happy for Big Sam to be given a go - lets be honest he couldn't do any worse that either MacLaren who got the job when he was last in the mix, or Hodgson who over complicated tactics to the point where the players became disillusioned with his constant reinventing of formations.

But the FA in their infinite wisdom will more than likely F**K it up again.
Good post.

I would rather we play like Sunderland & win than try to play like Barcelona & carry on losing.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Euro 2016

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:52 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Cal's Spongebag wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
harry211 wrote:It'll be an absolute travesty if Harry Redknapp has anything to do with the England side. He has a far better reputation than is deserved.

Sam is the best of a bad bunch at the moment, and that's a concern in itself.

In your opinion.

Others might think differently,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:
Its a given that it is his opinion, Mike.

Just like every one of your opinions.

But, no doubt, you feel that yours are more than opinions. :)

To be fair I usually agree with what harry211 says - certainly where Harriers are concerned, so I value his opinion, maybe I should have worded that differently.

I know most on here don't like Harry Redknapp and think he's a crook, even though he was cleared of all charges of tax evasion and it was generally accepted that the case should never have been brought against him.

But hey ho we shouldn't let justice get in the way of denigrating one of England's successful manager's who can produce teams with flair and style.

Harry Redknapp is from the same mould as Terry Venables - probably the best England manager in recent times, (Euro 96) who unfortunately became a fall guy for ''The Wally with a Brolly'' .
Yes, he was found not guilty. Most people realise there is a lot of difference between being found not guilty and being innocent.

If anyone is unaware of the jist of the accusations..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9033291/Tottenham-manager-Harry-Redknapp-hid-187000-in-off-shore-account-from-sale-of-Peter-Crouch.html

Regardless of the ethics of having money paid by your employer into offshore bank accounts in the name of your dog, I find it hard to understand how a manager can have a contract where they are paid commission on buying and selling of players. Surely, that creates a conflict of interest.

Subsequent to the fraud case he was also involved in promoting an online bookmaker called 666Bet who ran off with millions of pounds of clients money.

He has a reputation as a cheque book manager who is excellent at manipulating the media with his cockney charm.

You may think he is worthy of being the manager of our national team.

Others may think differently.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Euro 2016

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:39 am

Cal's Spongebag wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
Cal's Spongebag wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
harry211 wrote:It'll be an absolute travesty if Harry Redknapp has anything to do with the England side. He has a far better reputation than is deserved.

Sam is the best of a bad bunch at the moment, and that's a concern in itself.

In your opinion.

Others might think differently,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:
Its a given that it is his opinion, Mike.

Just like every one of your opinions.

But, no doubt, you feel that yours are more than opinions. :)

To be fair I usually agree with what harry211 says - certainly where Harriers are concerned, so I value his opinion, maybe I should have worded that differently.

I know most on here don't like Harry Redknapp and think he's a crook, even though he was cleared of all charges of tax evasion and it was generally accepted that the case should never have been brought against him.

But hey ho we shouldn't let justice get in the way of denigrating one of England's successful manager's who can produce teams with flair and style.

Harry Redknapp is from the same mould as Terry Venables - probably the best England manager in recent times, (Euro 96) who unfortunately became a fall guy for ''The Wally with a Brolly'' .
Yes, he was found not guilty. Most people realise there is a lot of difference between being found not guilty and being innocent.

If anyone is unaware of the jist of the accusations..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rouch.html

Regardless of the ethics of having money paid by your employer into offshore bank accounts in the name of your dog, I find it hard to understand how a manager can have a contract where they are paid commission on buying and selling of players. Surely, that creates a conflict of interest.

Subsequent to the fraud case he was also involved in promoting an online bookmaker called 666Bet who ran off with millions of pounds of clients money.

He has a reputation as a cheque book manager who is excellent at manipulating the media with his cockney charm.

You may think he is worthy of being the manager of our national team.

Others may think differently.

Are we rewriting case law now?

I'm mean we are all innocent until proven guilty is the concept of UK law....................... I think

And you believe all that stuff in the press/media - do you honestly believe harry was the only manager in football to get a bonus if he sold a player for a profit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wake up and smell the coffee.

As regards the bookmaker stuff - he's guilty by association I suppose,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you base your judgement on that premise, then I'm guilty of loads of crimes and I would suspect most of us are too.

Having said all of that, is he any good as a manager ?

I guess you think not.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:09 am

You like putting words into people's mouths don't you?

I am stating that a lot of people think he is crooked. He certainly is very motivated by money.

I am stating that I don't think it a good idea in general for managers to be incentivised by selling players as it creates a clear conflict of interest. I think they should be incentivised by success on the field.

Clearly there is corruption in football as in any area where there is a lot of money and power involved. Unfortunately, as in many other areas the rich and powerful abuse their positions and can usually afford better barristers than those bringing the charges.

Here he is linked to a betting sting...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fa-quiz-redknapp-over-alleged-16316m-betting-sting-413047.html

As far as how good he is as a manager..he has had some successes and some failure. Not the best, not the worst.

It could be that the England job would have been a good fit for him - you would think there was less chance of him getting his fingers caught in the till.

But, as I have said before, it is a poisoned chalice and while Harry may be the red top's darling, I am sure they would have done an about turn, as they always do.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:23 am

if we're talking 'sharp business practice' then both former England managers Don Revie and Terry Venables have both got history.
Sven Goran Ericcson was a whole different 'practice' altogether. :cool:

bottom line is if the FA could guarantee international success they'll employ anyone, irrespective of financial, legal or criminal mis-dealings.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:19 am

garthrockett wrote:if we're talking 'sharp business practice' then both former England managers Don Revie and Terry Venables have both got history.
Sven Goran Ericcson was a whole different 'practice' altogether. :cool:

bottom line is if the FA could guarantee international success they'll employ anyone, irrespective of financial, legal or criminal mis-dealings.

Just about right, methinks

Just how desperate are they ????????????????

Did see you see the TV feature, I forget which channel and I only caught the tail end of it, but it showed 'El Tel' at his hotel/resort for the rich and famous,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it had a view to die for.

But he was one hell of a manager..................just ask Alan Shearer :lol:

As for Sven - I don't think any one really knew what went on with him and the perks he enjoyed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nancy, Nancy

I'm surprised he could keep his mind on the job,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rolllaugh:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:44 am

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:18 pm

I will throw my hat in the ring for ''Big Sam''

Give him a chance :clap:

Lovejoy
1st team
1st team

Post by Lovejoy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:24 pm

Big Sam it is then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36850753

Not really forward thinking from the FA but then again did we expect anything else.
Anyway, best of luck Sam.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Well well, so the F A have in their infinite wisdom have given the job to an ''old fashioned'' English manager.

One things for sure there will no favourites and Big Sam will make sure every player is selected on merit and his teams will be organised, they may not play pretty passing/possession football, but he might just get results.

In the circumstances the '' English'' options were very limited.

He might surprise a few of the purists.

One things for sure, come the World Cup his team will be competitive.

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:26 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:Well well, so the F A have in their infinite wisdom have given the job to an ''old fashioned'' English manager.

One things for sure there will no favourites and Big Sam will make sure every player is selected on merit and his teams will be organised, they may not play pretty passing/possession football, but he might just get results.

In the circumstances the '' English'' options were very limited.

He might surprise a few of the purists.

One things for sure, come the World Cup his team will be competitive.

and hopefully there'll be less bullshit about than with previous managers.