Brian Smikle
No votes

Total votes: 38

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Player of the Season 2008-09 - Adam Bartlett

Post by Phil » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:58 pm

As in the past I've made a list of all the MotM winners and any that have had three wins or more gets voted on.

The full list below (up to the Ebbsfleet game). The vote is above.

Matt Barnes-Homer 4 wins
Adam Bartlett 12 wins
Dean Bennett 4
Martin Brittain 4
Mark Creighton 6
Keith Lowe 6
Chris McPhee 3
Stefan Moore 3
Justin Richards 5
Martin Riley 3
Brian Smikle 3

The vote will end in 25 days (Sunday 9th May)

Now for your reasons why and other exciting questions (copy & paste please):

Best Harriers Player?

Why?

His best game?

General questions

Your second choice for Player of the Season?

Your third choice for Player of the Season?

Best game of the season?

Best goal?

Best other team?

Best opposing player?

Do you believe that if we get promoted that we will stay there this time (or at least a bit longer)?
Last edited by Phil on Mon May 10, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Best Harriers Player? Adam Bartlett - Kept us in so many games, made so many vital saves and let us win games!

Why? I'll expand on the above. The penalty save against Torquay, gave us two points that we wouldn't have otherwise had. Wrexham at home and away he kept us in the game and helped us to get the win

His best game? vs Wrexham (H) BSP. Made so many vital saves it became an unfunny joke to the Wrexham fans.

General questions

Your second choice for Player of the Season? Chris McPhee, his arrival ignited the fire from the embers that were our playoff hopes. His passing and vision especially has been key to us and I believe that he is the best midfielder we've had since Murray and Williams.

Your third choice for Player of the Season? Tough one this, between Lowe and Barnes-Homer. MBH has had a fine season scoring 20 goals at time of posting (League), first Harriers player to do so in the Conf since Fozzie in 2000 and in any league since Bomber in 2003. His progress has been delightful. Lowe has been a solid defender at the club, good in the air and wins headers all day. One particular memory for me from him was against Oxford at home (I think it was, they played in Yellow and it was a Saturday) and their striker got away and he came along and won the ball clean as a whistle. But, goals win games so MBH gets my vote.

Best game of the season? Another toughie, between FGR away and Stevo at home. Forest Green had it all, a crap ref, violence, brilliant atmosphere and a last gasp winner. Stevenage was a huge game as it avenged any memories of Wembley for Harriers fans, also to come back from 2 goals down showed the resilience that has shown through in all of the games since. But for me Forest Green will always be a big game for me as it was my first league away so it gets my vote, superb atmosphere and an overall brilliant day.

Best goal? I'll shortlist these few

JR vs Woking (Home) - Brilliant curler into the top corner decieving the keeper.
Moore vs FGR (Away) - Nice turn and volley to even up a very uneven game (due to the Ref)
Penn vs Stevenage (Home) - Cross = Superb, Late run into Area = Even better, Header = Top class

I think this one has to go to Russ, brilliant goal especially seeing as what it meant for Harriers fans at the time, as i put above the ball was fantastic, the run and header of the finest quality. Brilliant.

Best other team? Wrexham, they've taken us apart twice and we've still beaten them.

Best opposing player? Ricky Shakes impressed me for Weymouth? Pacy, and can score. I always have trouble remembering good opposition players...

Do you believe that if we get promoted that we will stay there this time (or at least a bit longer)?

Yes, on one condition. We keep Barts, McPhee, Lowe, JR ,MBH etc. they have been superb and built our season. Bartlett has been fine, McPhee has been a revelation, Lowe solid, and JR and MBH have just got better and better (Especially when you compare JR to last season) Along with some quality additions, i believe we'll easily stay up in L2.

For what its worth, even if we dont go up, i still think we'll keep 4/5 of the player i mentioned earlier, Bartlett especially seems to love the club and I think he'll stay another season.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Reserves
Reserves

Post by 905 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:15 pm

Best Harriers Player?
Adam Bartlett
Why?
Has saved us many vital points, with a lesser goalkeeper we would be unlikely to hold such high position in the league.
His best game?
Wrexham at home, was brilliant
General questions

Barnes-Homer, worked his arse off all year
Creighton - Solid as usual
Best game of the season?
Stevenage
Best goal?
1st - Richards vs Woking
2nd Penn vs Stevenage
3rd Smikle vs Altrincham
Best other team?
Wrexham looked very strong and Stevenage were good even with 10 men
Best opposing player?
Morisson looked quality for Stevenage
We'd have a good base to build on
Last edited by 905 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiddy guy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by kiddy guy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:48 pm

You so and so Phil. I was going to vote for Andy Ferrell.

Best Harriers Player? Bartlett

Why? The one of few Harriers players who would not look out of place in a division higher and would be just as good. I think Lowe, MBH and Brittain would be competent higher up, but their deficiencies would be more evident.

His best game? Which games have I been to ? :lol: Can't remember :wink:

General questions

Your second choice for Player of the Season? MBH - scores more important goals than his histrionic partner. Right place, right time, and still only a rookie. Stepped upto the plate.

Your third choice for Player of the Season? Difficult call. Brittain doesn't get enough run outs for my liking and has to therefore be ruled out on that basis. Lowe deserves a shout in this reckoning, and I'll plump for him. Barlett is going to romp this and every other vote this season however.

Best game of the season? Stevenidge at home.

Best goal? Dunno.

Best other team? Burton - the league table does not lie.

Best opposing player? Gunnarsson- Cov City

Do you believe that if we get promoted that we will stay there this time (or at least a bit longer)? Who knows...

Morgan
Respect the 4th Official
Respect the 4th Official

Post by Morgan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:52 pm

Best Harriers Player?
Overall it's gotta go to Adam Bartlett, maybe not the best goalkeeper in the league as some suggest, because he's not especially tall, so he struggles to take control of his box (FGR home), and look at how he fecked up in the same way against Cambridge and Stevenage. However, he really is a great shot-stopper, and penalty saves away at Torquay and Salisbury right at the death, are two stand out examples where he's saved us points. Without him, I'm sure we would have our usual midtable status.
Why?
I think I just explained!
His best game?
Which I have seen, either Wrexham or Torquay at home, where we've soaked up so much pressure and he's kept the opposition out on so many occasions, saving us so many points throught out the season, and 2 (or possibly 3!) on these occasions.
General questions
Keith Lowe has been our most consistent player this season, and I can't recall a bad game.
Matty Barnes-Homer has improved massively from last year, as has Brian Smikle (5), and both have scored plenty of goals.
I have more than 3 choices for Player of the Season.
(4)Martin Riley has given us a massive boost and continues to improve with every game.
(6) 17 assists says a lot about Martin Brittain, a great addition to the side, even if he is a bit inconsistent.
(7)I have been wondering where we'd be if we'd had Chris McPhee for the whole season, another superb signing has given a real boost to a tiring side.
Best game of the season?
Stevenage Borough (H), obviously. A superb fightback, and it couldn't have been more perfect after Wembley!
Best goal?
Russ Penn's header against Stevenage was majestic, and Stefan Moore's goal last week at FGR was pretty special. We haven't really scored many good goals this season, a lot of scrappy scrambles in the box, where Matt Barnes-Homer has come up trumps. Smikle had a similar header against York in the league, but Penn's header against Stevo was a great goal.
Best other team?
Stevenage Borough never gave up, they took their chances first half, and outplayed us. Martin Brittain changed that game, but even at 4-2 they kept going and went for it. If they hadn't lost Murphy, I think they'd have thumped us.
Best opposing player?
Steve Morison, he was a really good forward for Stevenage, and to be fair he didn't deserve to be on the losing side last weekend.
If we do get promoted, then I hope League 2 is a bit of a farce again, so we get a head start. I think that realistically this won't happen and we'll be in and around the bottom of the league all season. At the end of next season we'll survive and build on it after that. Hopefully I'll never see a non-league game at Aggy after this season, but in the next 10 years I'm sure I will.

brumkidd
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by brumkidd » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:40 pm

I'm going for M B-H. Most improved player by a country mile and his temperament is excellent compared to his strike partner who can be a little miffed at times.
It is only a matter of time before those good people at the National Lottery give me the jackpot that I so richly deserve.

TheDavibob

Post by TheDavibob » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:27 am

Best Harriers Player?
Adam Bartlett
Why?
Sheer class, would be very happy to keep him for next season.
His best game?
Probably didn't go to it, so won't comment here.

Barnes-Homer, much improved, bagful of goals, tries hard.
Brittain - great crosser. Limited a bit otherwise, but has definitely made a difference.
Best game of the season?
Stevenage at home - no question. Amazing.
Best goal?
I saw Moore's goal vs. FG on the highlights, and I was impressed. Penn's goal at Stevenage was something special.
Best other team?
Doubt I can comment.
Best opposing player?
See above.
I don't particularly want promotion, a defeat at Wembley with lots of money would be nice. However, we have a very nice core of a squad, so we can hope. And it should increase attendance, which is always good.

mezzaKHFC
½ Million Man
½ Million Man

Post by mezzaKHFC » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:00 pm

Why?
Because Bartlett has won us alot of points this season and kept us in alot of games.
His best game?
Ebbsfleet away
General questions
Will he stay nex year if we go up.

MBH scored some vital goals this season and has never stopped working his socks off.
McPhee has came in and our midfield has got alot better.
Best game of the season?

Best goal?
Richards either ilkeston away or woking at home
Best other team?
Wrexham, they were just unlucky.
Best opposing player?
ent got a clue
Fingers crossed :smile:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:03 pm

Best Harriers Player? MBH

Why? Really tough call between MBH, Bartlett and Riley - I've gone for MBH for two reasons, he has improved
beyond all recognition this season and secondly will undoubtedly finish top scorer for the club - you have to
score goals to win games - and he does, plus his work rate is phenomenal.

His best game? Difficult - as he has been consistent all season, but his goal against Torquay was a class finish
and won a very important game for Harriers, recent games he has also been instumental in
winning points (last three games)

Your second choice for Player of the Season? Adam Bartlett, - will probably win more votes than MBH - he is a
class keeper, though he does need to command his six yard box with more
authority, and he is prone to a few gaffs(Stevenage)

Your third choice for Player of the Season? Martin Riley without doubt a tremendous find, young and reads the game well - well able to play at a higher level, I would like to see him and Lowe trade places and see if he was better at R/B

Best game of the season? Got to be Stevanage - purely for the kudos of beating them (after Wembley ) and rubbing Westley's nose in it!!!

Best goal? Penn's diving header Stevo or JR's 30 yarder against Woking - I'll give it to Russ Penn.
Best other team? Strangely I'll give it to Wrexham - who outplayed us twice and ended up losing twice, I'm
amazed they havn't made the play offs, our wins against them destroyed their team moral I guess

Best opposing player? toughie - Adam Murray (Oxford) still a class act

Unlike a lot of other views, I don't see Harriers struggling, as long as certain players are released, and better quality brought into important areas (strikers and midfield)

Lord K
I've seen over a 1000 games so far
I've seen over a 1000 games so far

Post by Lord K » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Phil

The player i wish to vote on is not on the list

Can you add everyone else please?

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:21 pm

I've made a list of all the MotM winners and any that have had three wins or more gets voted on
No. :roll: If you're referring to Russ Penn then he only won MotM once.

Howww Much!!!
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Howww Much!!! » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:59 pm

Phil wrote:
I've made a list of all the MotM winners and any that have had three wins or more gets voted on
No. :roll: If you're referring to Russ Penn then he only won MotM once.
:shock: That may upset a Director or two Phil.

clarkey
Reserves
Reserves

Post by clarkey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:44 pm

Best Harriers Player?
For me, it has to be Adam Bartlett.

Why?
Time after time he has saved us, kept us in games, and saved us points, sometimes where we have then gone onto win games. without him, i think we would be languishing mid-table

His best game?
From the ones i have been to, has to be either ebbslfleet away or wrexham at home

General questions

Matty Barnes-homer - has improved greatly past few years, and he is deserving in the 20+ goals he has scored/going to score

Hmmm this is a toughie. Keith Lowe has been consistent and has been a great signing, chris Mcphee has revitalized the midfield and without him i wonder where we would be. Martin Brittain has the ability to change games, he just doesn't play enough, and Creighton and Riley have formed a really strong partnership which i am impressed with. But Lowe gets my vote

Best game of the season?
From the ones i have been to, FGR away gets my vote. But from the osunds of it, Stevenage was just as good if not better

Best goal?
Again, from the games i have been to, probably Moores turn and volley v FGR. But i remember we have scored some good team goals, getting the ball on the deck and moving it around, which i also like to see

Best other team?
Wrexham, totally outplayed us yet we still beat them :lol:

Best opposing player?
Not sure, on paper probably Freddy Eastwood though he did not impress

Maybe - depends on a few things. First of all, if we go up i would look to get in Mcphee straight away. If we sign him, and keep the core of the team the same with a few additional squad players and players that have league experience, then i think we have a chance - but i would still like to see a left mid signed (Brittain style player) who can put crosses in but also take people on and beat them :)

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Yes, on one condition. We keep Barts, McPhee, Lowe, JR ,MBH etc. they have been superb and built our season. Bartlett has been fine, McPhee has been a revelation, Lowe solid, and JR and MBH have just got better and better (Especially when you compare JR to last season) Along with some quality additions, i believe we'll easily stay up in L2.

For what its worth, even if we dont go up, i still think we'll keep 4/5 of the player i mentioned earlier, Bartlett especially seems to love the club and I think he'll stay another season.

hmmmm, i wish.

Mr Maroon
The Irish Correspondent
The Irish Correspondent

Post by Mr Maroon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Last year I voted for Jeff :lol: . This year I think I'll abstain.
Galway United Supporters Trust Forum
http://www.galwayunitedfc.net

Official site
http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie

GUFC on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/VinnyGUFC