Martin O'Connor do me a favour

I've put all the more interesting old threads in here so they can still be seen following the board overhaul in October 2008. It'll be read only.

Moderator: Phil

son of sumsum
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by son of sumsum » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:02 am

Why didn't you apply for the post when it was vacant?

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:09 am

I did, but they said I was 'over qualified'

Ask a stupid question, you know what you get..............?

Bruno
Youth team
Youth team

Martin O'Connor

Post by Bruno » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:39 am

What is going on signing all these over 30 players, Does Watkiss kmow what he is doing!

windsorharrier
1st team
1st team

Post by windsorharrier » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:08 am

Well at least we're talking about football, or players at least. Makes a nice change from the rest of the "summer".  I can't quite get my head round all these "wow" signings that fans are expecting I must say, take a look around the conf...how many wow signings have been made by any club?. Our recent wow signings include Hazell, Birch , Mellon and Christie...hmmmmmm. We're not going to be signing league class players, simple as.  Players that try regardless of age would be a improvement on last season.  

If SW is going for a mix of old heads/leaders with some young keen talent from lower down the leagues then I can't see a problem with it. Some of our best players weren't wow signings and most came from lower/same leagues and if you ask me this is where we'll pick up future stars who might even end up being wow signings for someone else one day while we cash the cheque. Hopefully the 250 club will help out in the department.

It does seem like SW is missing out on some key signings, but its not hard to see why. Each one has gone to a FL club, we're a football club on the way down, players would have read about the turbulant summer, we are simply not an attractive proposition as we once were.
the conference's finest

thomaskidd
Youth team
Youth team

Post by thomaskidd » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:37 am

I`ll have to throw in my tuppence worth.It is one week since we had the go ahead to start signing players and if you read the forums then even that deal is in doubt?

SW has missed out on a lot of his first choice players and is not making too much fuss about it. I know we have been robbed of the chance to complain about relegation but i am willing to trust SW and see what he puts on the pitch, He will be making the best signings he can and it`s down to him alone to get the end product as good as he can possibly get it . He`s been signing players for 4 days and it`s not over yet , after what we`ve been through we deserve to be basking in glory , unexpected glory , and i`m hoping for a number of players to do a " Mark Yates " and really come up with the goods.

Of course i`ll be moaning like a bitch if we are crap but for the moment i am still happy that the ball is rolling , i have a good gut feeling about next season and i can feel exciting times , in the cup and league , are coming our way.

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:43 pm

The main concern is not the age of these players (although we have had our fingers burnt in the past,for every one Mark Blake we get plenty of Barry Horne/Tom Bennett's etc) but how they fit into the squad.The likes of Burton,Mchale,Hatswell and Jackson all lack pace so is it so unreasonable to expect a different type of defender to be signed? Time will tell....

brumkidd
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by brumkidd » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:28 pm

The pre-season friendlies will be vital in gauging the standard of our play and the potential size of the gates. However, having said that, after we stuffed Walsall last pre-season with 4 wonder goals we all thought we would do very well indeed.
It is only a matter of time before those good people at the National Lottery give me the jackpot that I so richly deserve.

son of sumsum
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by son of sumsum » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:00 pm

Experience means these players will not need bringing on, they will perform to there true potential very quickly.

Of the good Harriers sides, those that got promoted, had bonded together over at leasdt a season, okay we rought in an experienced pro - Mike Marsh.

SW is throwing a side together from scratch, and some from the end of last season. Do people realise how impossible it is going to be to build a side to challenge for promotion?  People are judging him before he has completed his signings. Gordon Bennett! In all honesty Id like to shoot them. Its building negetive situation before we have started.

I will predict we will be in the bottom half of the table but will climb towrads the end of the season with an outside chance of the play-offs. Yet the moaners will start saying I told you so after 4 games. Empty headed springs to mind.

I can see Red and White Mike as one of the witches in Macbeth stirring the pot, 'Toil and Trouble', it will be if we dont get behind the lads, regardless of who SW signs.