World Cup 2022

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: World Cup Predictions

Post by HarrierN2 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 pm

I'm not that fussed about England and I've been critical of Southgate from the get-go, but that was an exceptional performance today.

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:05 pm

They were excellent. Bellingham looks such a good player, ran the show.

Credit where it is due for a great team performance - but they need to keep their feet on the ground. Neither the USA nor Wales will be easy opposition to play. Pleeeeease stick with the 4-2-3-1 Southgate, none of this three at the back nonsense! 🙂

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:31 pm

Bellingham was everywhere. Iran weren't great, but they've only lost 2 games in 23 or something.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:34 am

Hopefully we have a better chance of success in this WC as our players won't have the effects of a full prem League season in them.

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:09 pm

Medieval wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:34 am
Hopefully we have a better chance of success in this WC as our players won't have the effects of a full prem League season in them.
I think expectations are lower due to our poor form going into it (although I expect that won't last now :lol:), which might be a bit of pressure off too
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

andrewb
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by andrewb » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:49 pm

Not seen anyone yet to frighten England . . .
And in the World Cup prediction league so far - firstly thanx to Phil for posting predictions, probably just to support me, but I appreciate it - and Phil has 8 points so far to my 5

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:29 pm

Interesting to see if the directive on allowing 'real' extra time at the end of halves translates to the UK and to the NLN.
I suspect some Alfreton games won't finish until 10 past 5......
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

andrewb
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by andrewb » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:27 am

when i said i had not seen any team to frighten england, that was before the spain match - to win big you need a team thats good as a team, not one with one star player they over rely on (ie Messi or AMS ) - and anyway i did predict spain would eventually win the world cup - we shall see . .

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:19 pm

Wales look to be out then. Poor from Ramsey throughout and very little threat upfront.

They should have bought Gareth Bale on :;

maxspeed
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by maxspeed » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:11 pm

maxspeed wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:09 am
I must be honest and say I have zero expectations for England under Southgate other than to be bored to death with his style of frightened football. Never felt so underwhelmed at the prospect of a major football tournament - maybe it has something to do with the politics of it's venue and the associated corruption of its award. I just hope it all goes off peacefully. My suspicion is that England scrape through to the first knock out stage and go no further and Southgate falls on his sword and fresh blood gives England a transfusion of hope. Eddie Howe anyone??
I plead forgiveness for quoting my own posting, but what was that $hite served up by England tonight, how anyone can spin that as being a good result like some in the media, I do not know. Southgate should have his taxi waiting when he gets back. Worse than watching paint dry.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:00 am

04/06/22 UNL Hungary L 1 - 0
07/06/22 UNL Germany D 1 - 1
11/06/22 UNL Italy D 0 - 0
14/06/22 UNL Hungary L 0 - 4
23/09/22 UNL Italy L 1 - 0
26/09/22 UNL Germany D 3 - 3
21/11/22 WOC Iran W 6-2
25/11/22 WOC USA D 0-0

Played 8 won 1 drawn 4, lost 3.........

In any other scenario, relegation form.
Taxi for Southgate.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:31 am

Christ alive, some England fans are almost bipolar in their view. One minute we're all conquering, the next we're useless.

If you look at the performance that Iran side put in against Wales, they were certainly no mugs, and we managed to knock in six goals past them.

Yes, not a great result, but we're on track to finish top and have a side with some goals in them. Southgate out? Ludicrous.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:59 am

Iran clearly played poorly against England. Still managed to score twice.

The USA played really well and deserved to win. England were boring and pedestrian and played a dangerous game imo. Could easily have lost and then the Welsh would have even more of an incentive to beat us.
Southgate has done what managers do and will spin it as positively as possible. But he either asked them to play like that, which is negative of him, or he didn’t ask then to play like that which is equally as worrying.
It can all be forgotten with a rousing win v Wales. England should be head and shoulders above them so I expect a win.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:27 am

Sheffield Harrier wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:59 am
Iran clearly played poorly against England. Still managed to score twice.

The USA played really well and deserved to win. England were boring and pedestrian and played a dangerous game imo. Could easily have lost and then the Welsh would have even more of an incentive to beat us.
Southgate has done what managers do and will spin it as positively as possible. But he either asked them to play like that, which is negative of him, or he didn’t ask then to play like that which is equally as worrying.
It can all be forgotten with a rousing win v Wales. England should be head and shoulders above them so I expect a win.
This.

Its not a one off bad performance, look at our games leading up to this.

Nothing changed, let alone improved, after half time tactical/motivational team talk.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:27 pm

Christ alive, some England fans are almost bipolar in their view. One minute we're all conquering, the next we're useless.

If you look at the performance that Iran side put in against Wales, they were certainly no mugs, and we managed to knock in six goals past them.

Yes, not a great result, but we're on track to finish top and have a side with some goals in them. Southgate out? Ludicrous.

Nothing bipolar in my view, as Ive never been a fan of his coaching style since he started with England!

Iran stuck two goals in late on. Unacceptable. If you want to win the World Cup you need to kill off opposition effectively. England dont.
Cant see any progress past last eight.