World Cup 2014

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

World Cup 2014

Post by garthrockett » Fri May 16, 2014 9:58 am

As the usual four-year fiasco is about to commence ( I won't be watching it myself) I thought Id nervertheless kick off a related thread - this time with the usual Blatter bleatings....

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fifa-boss-sepp-blatter-admits-qatar-2022-world-cup-award-was-mistake-blames-germany-france-1448799
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Re: World Cup

Post by Phil » Fri May 16, 2014 1:11 pm

I don't want to rent a car just to read that :beanshaker:

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:40 pm

I look forward to the world cup as most football fans do, I don't expect England to do well but I like watching as many games as I can as it fills a gap before pre-season starts.

Zorro
1st team
1st team

Post by Zorro » Sat May 17, 2014 7:26 pm

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed May 21, 2014 6:49 pm

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Thu May 29, 2014 9:55 am

Forget those overpaid numpties at the Beeb, heres the low-down on England's chances from a real legend.......

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/28/stephen-hawking-dissects-englands-chances-in-the-world-cup/

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu May 29, 2014 11:18 am

I will watch the games, not because I think England will do any good - but because it's the only football this side of August that I can watch.

Of course I may get even further disillusioned with England under Wroy and not bother by the time of the last game.

I can see us struggling to win a game to be honest. :crying:

And no - I don't want ato debate the merits of the England manager - AGAIN.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Richard Cranium
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Richard Cranium » Thu May 29, 2014 3:36 pm

I can't believe some people are considering not watching it. I'm going to watch almost every game of the entire world cup, even if it's two no-mark countries playing each other. Better than the other sh*te that'll be on TV.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu May 29, 2014 3:40 pm

Each to their own.

I can't believe so many peeps watch G o T - but hey ho!

But I agree there is Sooo much crap on TV these days - all down to money I suppose.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Thu May 29, 2014 4:26 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:Each to their own.

But I agree there is Sooo much crap on TV these days - all down to money I suppose.

I don't even know what G o T is so I guess I don't watch that but as to the World Cup I will be delighted if England manage to win even one game and any progress beyond the group stage will be truly an over achievement.

Will it be like a Champions League style of play which frankly has me nodding off after 5 minutes or so of passing it backwards and forwards - forwards and backwards - sideways and backward and forward and sideways.

As for that Blatter fella I vote he has to watch all the games in Qatar outside in the sun with no hat and no 10 billion factor sun cream and at half time he has to come on and participate in a penalty shoot out and that should teach him what a really silly mistake it was to hold it there.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Thu May 29, 2014 6:50 pm

I will be embracing it - as ever. Got my Panini album and looking for a wallchart soon.

Have got very realistic expectations but will be cheering our boys on. After all, I am English.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu May 29, 2014 6:55 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:Each to their own.

I don't even know what G o T is so I guess I don't watch that but as to the World Cup I will be delighted if England manage to win even one game and any progress beyond the group stage will be truly an over achievement.

Will it be like a Champions League style of play which frankly has me nodding off after 5 minutes or so of passing it backwards and forwards - forwards and backwards - sideways and backward and forward and sideways.

As for that Blatter fella I vote he has to watch all the games in Qatar outside in the sun with no hat and no 10 billion factor sun cream and at half time he has to come on and participate in a penalty shoot out and that should teach him what a really silly mistake it was to hold it there.
G o T - Game of Thrones

But if you are desperate to watch it you will need a satellite :lol:

Apparently the book(s) are a good read - far better than the TV series, all a bit off the wall for me.

soupy
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by soupy » Thu May 29, 2014 7:42 pm

I will inevitably end up watching what I can, but right now I'm enjoying the lack of football about. After 10 months of travelling the country watching two games a week I'm glad of a rest, and have to admit by the end of the season I was suffering from 'football fatigue'!
1018 Games and counting...
"Win the Senior Cup the most in the county...then we can start calling ourselves the pride of God’s own..."

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mystic » Fri May 30, 2014 9:06 am

Can't believe the amount of negativity about the world cup on this thread!!! I'm nearly 40 and am like a kid at Chrstmas can't wait for it to start.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Fri May 30, 2014 9:55 am

Mystic wrote:Can't believe the amount of negativity about the world cup on this thread!!! I'm nearly 40 and am like a kid at Chrstmas can't wait for it to start.
Is that with reference to The World Cup per se - or specific to England??

I think watching England under Hodgson is going to be a tad boring (putting it politely).

I want England to do well, unfortunately I don't even think they will qualify for the next stage.