World Cup 2014

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

Hartleburyharrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by Hartleburyharrier » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:47 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:
pricey5 wrote:
Morgan wrote:Interesting comments from Harry Redknapp today on 5Live that when he was Tottenham manager players asked him to get them out of having to go on England duty..
I agree with what Gerrard said in his press conference yesterday, name some names Harry! This is the type of reason why I never wanted Redknapp to be England manager, plus he's also another one of these managers who likes 'his' players. At least Hodgson has given the younger players a chance with others set to get a game tomorrow too. We'd be back to Lampard-Gerrard in the middle under Harry!
Totally agree and a reason why Rednapp is not even suitable to be England Manager - he thought he had it sewn up and still resents not getting the job.

There is only one man in my book who should have had the job and didn't get it and that isn't Harry Rednapp but Brian Clough - a giant in a land of dwarfs whose skill made Nottingham Forest 2 times European Champions.

:like: :worthy:

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:24 pm

There is only one man in my book who should have had the job and didn't get it and that isn't Harry Rednapp but Brian Clough - a giant in a land of dwarfs whose skill made Nottingham Forest 2 times European Champions.
Your forgetting Tommy Docherty.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:06 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:Brazilian media have branded England v Uruguay - as the game of the desperados (desperate)

What I find so ironic about England under Hodgson, is that he came into the hot seat with a reputation for defensive organisation
and sterile football - yet he's thrown his principals out of the window and ended up with a very suspect back line.

Aerially suspect in the center of defence compounded by an inept (defensively) RB, England will concede goals - unfortunately they are struggling to score them, and playing Rooney out wide was a master stroke - Right????

Play Rooney where he can be effective or not at all, the Rooney thing has close associations much closer to home with a certain
Anthony Malbon !!

Barkley has to start !!

My team for Uruguay would be.

Hart

Jones, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines --( Oh! for Ashley Cole)

Gerrard, Wiltshire, Barkley

Sterling, Rooney,

Sturridge

Must win game I suppose :roll:
Jones, although a trier, simply hasn't got the physical qualities to be a modern full back. Jack of all trades master of none.

Jack WILSHERE has gone downhill big time in the last two years. Now, when in possession he either loses the ball by trying to go round players (he isn't good enough) or falls over and dives and tries to get a foul.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:31 pm

With little at stake and the spotlight off a few team in the world cup now, maybe fans should have a watch at the documentary on C4 tonight. :???:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:42 pm

With little at stake and the spotlight off a few team in the world cup now, maybe fans should have a watch at the documentary on C4 tonight.
...on at the same time Brazil vs Cameroon is on ITV........make of that what you will. :roll:

Richard Cranium
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Richard Cranium » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:36 pm

Think Henderson's been the best midfielder in both games and the friendlies. Not at his form for Liverpool but that's because he hasn't been allowed the license to go box-to-box. Liverpool this season very, very rarely played with 2 in the middle, and when they did they were poor (I think they played 2 in the middle against the Villa when Villa should have won) so I don't know why Hodgson thought he could make it work. Gerrard sitting with Henderson and Wilshere / AN Other alternating box-to-box in front of him would probably have been the best option, or a 'diamond' with Sterling behind Rooney and Sturridge.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:49 pm

Full marks to Hodgson for giving the 'reserves' a go - and to be fair England have looked half decent with Wilshire and Barkley pulling the strings. Dare I say it England actually look better without the 'Liverpool Midfield'..................... :roll:

Not sure I would have played Milner out left (or anywhere for that matter).

Jones has done OK at R/B - an improvement defensively on Johnson - but that's not difficult!!

At HT - England have looked the better team.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Richard Cranium
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Richard Cranium » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Again, I'd say the three-man midfield is the main reason we look better today. Barkley has done some excellent things but also done some very bad things. Not a World Cup player at the moment but the experience should help him, as long as he uses it to improve his decision making.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Again, I'd say the three-man midfield is the main reason we look better today. Barkley has done some excellent things but also done some very bad things. Not a World Cup player at the moment but the experience should help him, as long as he uses it to improve his decision making.
Barkley not a World Cup player............................??

the one bright spark in the England squad................
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Golden opportunity for Sturridge from Wilshire's through ball - should have scored.

Richard Cranium
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Richard Cranium » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:27 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:Again, I'd say the three-man midfield is the main reason we look better today. Barkley has done some excellent things but also done some very bad things. Not a World Cup player at the moment but the experience should help him, as long as he uses it to improve his decision making.
Barkley not a World Cup player............................??

the one bright spark in the England squad................
Glimpses of excellent running ability but poor decision making, lack of effective passing and poor shooting has let him down. An option off the bench, perhaps, but for now he shouldn't be starting in a World Cup. Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain are better than him at the moment, and - to me at least - I think they're better players overall. Always happy to track back, work hard and defend, as well as offering excellent ability going forward. That said, I don't think Barkley is a bad player. Sterling, Sturridge, Barkley, Ox will be excellent forward options in years to come.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:34 pm

I thought England did OK and should really have won.

Bit disappointed Lallana got subbed.

Sturridge was wasteful and Milner was very average - but other than that I thought the players put everything into the game bearing in mind it was a dead game - thought we contained Costa Rica to very few chances.

Don't think either Uruguay or Costa Rica will progress any further though.

Jonkers
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Jonkers » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:10 am

Enough said about England - mediocre manager mediocre team not good enough. But Swarez !!!! what a idiot probably the best player in the world on his day. Must be mentally deficient Must be banned for a very long time if not life. No one apart from the most diehard Liverpool fan can possible condone what he has done. Over to you FIFA

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:57 am

Jonkers wrote:Enough said about England - mediocre manager mediocre team not good enough. But Swarez !!!! what a idiot probably the best player in the world on his day. Must be mentally deficient Must be banned for a very long time if not life. No one apart from the most diehard Liverpool fan can possible condone what he has done. Over to you FIFA

How many footballers play the game world wide?

How many actually go around sinking their teeth into an opponent?

Mental??

I would say more 'animal'........................

Quite a poser for the authorities, bearing in mind he was playing in an International match, and as such jurisdiction over club football will be a 'grey area', put's Brendan Rogers in an awkward position I would have thought.

Banned from International football, the only question will be - how long??

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:29 am

Enough said about England - mediocre manager mediocre team not good enough. But Swarez !!!! what a idiot probably the best player in the world on his day. Must be mentally deficient Must be banned for a very long time if not life. No one apart from the most diehard Liverpool fan can possible condone what he has done. Over to you FIFA
Call me cynical but it looked a perfectly contrived incident- Suarez knows the likes of Barca and Real are sniffing around him, and what better way to prompt a move next month and for Liverpool to avoid another 'bite' incident overshadowing them next season.
Why not wash their hands of him now by taking the moral high ground (never difficult at Anfield- and good PR) calling his behaviour 'unacceptable' and selling him on for a fat fee?

As for any World Cup ban, Suarez knows Uruguay arent going to win the thing, so stuff the international aspirations for country and fans, this is business.

Suarez gets his move
Liverpool get some money
Someone else (La Liga?) gets the problem

Everyone's happy and football takes another grubby crawl through the gutter.