Euro 2016

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

How will we do in the Euro's?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:53 am

Go out 1st rd
20%
Progress further
5%
Into the quarter finals
45%
Or the semi finals
20%
Win the thing?
10%

Total votes: 20

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Euro 2016

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:38 am

pricey5 wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:At the end of the day, England have managed to win one game, with a goal in the last minute of added time.
But Wales - yes Wales FFS - have topped the group, how embarrassing is that, unless you're Welsh !!! :?:

Hodgson bangs on about dominating games and looking good in possession, - he still doesn't understand how predictable his game plan is and how frustrating his style of football is to watch.

England will continue to struggle to break down organised sides with better players than Slovakia.

Hodgson's insistence on carrying his favourites around with him will be his down fall. Wilshire - Henderson - Sturridge none of them match fit for footy at this level, Milner ( proven failure) and Rashford (unproven kid) are others who shouldn't be there.

Yet the likes of Drinkwater, Carroll, Townsend & Noble who were all in superb form at the end of the season in the Premier League are left behind - ridiculous and a perfect illustration of the man's limitations as a manager.

Tournament football is all about creating momentum and confidence and winning games and to do that you have score goals, under Hodgson in the 2014 World Cup - England finished bottom of their group and managed to score TWO goals, Italy also failed to qualify in the same group. I think it is clear that Italy have progressed with Conte as manager and look a real force in the 2016 Euros, they might even win it, but England under Hodgson have stood still, if you look at the 2014 World Cup squad it is littered with the same faces that failed then, and they are still playing now. A little known trivia fact is that England have the record in World Cup history as the team with most 0-0 results !!!

Good luck to Wales - they could easily progress a lot further than England in the competition, which would be the final insult to English football.
I do agree with most of what you have said, however the bolded is not true. Of the starting 11 that played against Italy 2 years ago, only 4 players can consider themselves regulars now (Hart, Cahill, Rooney, Strurridge).

The one positive going forward to the knockout rounds is that teams do actually have to press and attack us now. Russia, Wales and Slovakia have all set out to try and get a point. We look better on the counter attack and with players like Vardy, Alli, Sturridge and Rooney we can still be effective against the better teams.

Very few teams in this tournament have stood out above the rest and nobody looks unbeatable.
With respect, you are twisting the stats/facts, England's first game in the 2014 World Cup against Italy featured six players who actually started the game and another three came on as subs check the team sheet !! Included in the other two games, a total
of eleven players who played in that competition are in the squad for the 2016 Euros, twelve if you add Welbeck who Hodgson would have taken if had not been injured. The only real exceptions from then to now are Gerrard, Baines, Johnson & Jagielka. As for being regulars as you put, that's part of the problem - Hodgson doesn't know what a regular is - Sterling & Kane both started the first two games, yet Rooney is rested - is he not a regular player ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,???

I think you will see his random, haphazard thinking illustrated in England's next game - can't wait to see what he comes up with.

As for no team being unbeatable - well Wales managed to beat Slovakia AND Russia,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :oops2:

Which ever you cut it, the squad Hodgson has put together and the way he has them playing frustrates the hell out of me, and I'm as patriotic as you can get - even have a large cross of St George flying at home.

I fear not for much longer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :(
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:30 am

Spain v Croatia - tremendous game - now that's what I call entertainment - certainly the best 90 minutes I have seen so far.

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:48 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:Spain v Croatia - tremendous game - now that's what I call entertainment - certainly the best 90 minutes I have seen so far.
Spain deserved to lose wearing shirts of that design, I thought someone had been sick.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:13 pm

Looked like a dodgy pizza to me.

I would say they based it on an amalgam of Picasso, Miro and Dali artwork. Personally I like all three and have been to all three museums. Conveniently all in Barcelona.

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:04 pm

Phil wrote:Looked like a dodgy pizza to me.

I would say they based it on an amalgam of Picasso, Miro and Dali artwork. Personally I like all three and have been to all three museums. Conveniently all in Barcelona.
You're just showing off now Phil :worthy:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:48 pm

Lucky, lucky England and lucky, lucky Roy Hodgson, within seconds of playing Portugal and Ronaldo, against whom England have a poor tourno record.

But now thy play Iceland who they have never lost to in a tournament - even Hodgson won't f**k that up.

Maybe just maybe my flag of St George will stay flying for another week ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The football gods have smiled on Hodgson after all.

You just never know what's round the corner. :lol:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:56 pm

Well that was something. Well done England, Eire, Wales and Northern Ireland.

After all the talk of how poor we, England, might be and no chance of going further we now have all four British sides in the next round.

That is something to celebrate isn't it?

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:38 pm

Not much to choose between any of the teams in group F.

Maybe Hodgson is not as stupid as some people think?
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:04 pm

Iceland my team of the tournament so far, I wouldn't take anything for granted against them. 330,000 population? Brilliant effort by them.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:56 am

Cal's Spongebag wrote:Not much to choose between any of the teams in group F.

Maybe Hodgson is not as stupid as some people think?
I agree, there all crap :lol:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:58 am

jim mankey wrote:Iceland my team of the tournament so far, I wouldn't take anything for granted against them. 330,000 population? Brilliant effort by them.
For such a small nation, getting to the Euro's was a fantastic achievement, getting to the final 16 even more so.

But beating England ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NO chance.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:48 am

Good on Jamie Vardy for his decision to stay at Leicester,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,better the devil etc.

Something of a snub to Wenger - would seem he doesn't have the magic anymore,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mind you Vardy should send him a bottle of his favourite tipple as he's ended up a with bigger wodge, something his agent couldn't manage!!

All in all I think he's called it right and having got it out of the way now - he can focus on England and score some goals.

That's of course if he gets game time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:23 pm

Phil wrote:Well that was something. Well done England, Eire, Wales and Northern Ireland.

After all the talk of how poor we, England, might be and no chance of going further we now have all four British sides in the next round.

That is something to celebrate isn't it?

'Four teams from the British Isles' perhaps to avoid any arguments?

At least one guaranteed a QF place too!

Anyone else think that England might struggle against the mighty Vikings?

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:26 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
jim mankey wrote:Iceland my team of the tournament so far, I wouldn't take anything for granted against them. 330,000 population? Brilliant effort by them.
For such a small nation, getting to the Euro's was a fantastic achievement, getting to the final 16 even more so.

We're talking about England Mike, not The Germans. By rights we should put six past them, Portugal, by rights, should have put six past them, Austria & Hungary should have put a few past them, it didn't happen. Extra time could loom! :crying:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:46 pm

jim mankey wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:

We're talking about England Mike, not The Germans. By rights we should put six past them, Portugal, by rights, should have put six past them, Austria & Hungary should have put a few past them, it didn't happen. Extra time could loom! :crying:

I know what you're saying and the banana skin that England could slip up on, but in the cold light of day, provided Hodgson put's out his strongest*** eleven I think it will be comfortable.

*** Must include Vardy, & although he's not sparked so far I would still include Kane in preference to Sturridge.

I can't see any possibility of Hodgson blowing this as his future is on the line.