Euro 2016

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

How will we do in the Euro's?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:53 am

Go out 1st rd
20%
Progress further
5%
Into the quarter finals
45%
Or the semi finals
20%
Win the thing?
10%

Total votes: 20

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Re: Euro 2016

Post by Phil » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:53 pm

To add to the excitement of this thread :roll:

Spotted in St Etienne:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:06 pm

How frustrating was that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 0-0 and in all honesty. although England were the better team by some distance, they struggled to create enough to really threaten the Slovak goal - and although Hodgson tried to influence the game with his changes to the team and the substitutions - it was all like for like he doesn't have a 'Plan B'.

Even Glen Hoddle was left wishing for an Andy Carroll type player to get on the end of the crosses.

But England have qualified, albeit the Welsh have outshone England and finished top in a group that England should really have won by a street - five strikers in the squad and England can only average a goal a game.

I actually think that some of the changes were positive Clyne had a blinder first half, and Henderson was better than I thought he could be, but Wilshire disappointed - not match fit.

Sturridge is too slow in the build up and Lalanna still flatters to deceive and has no end product.

But above all we missed Rooney,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:

If the FA give Hodgson another contract they all need to go and hang their heads in shame.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:30 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:How frustrating was that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 0-0 and in all honesty. although England were the better team by some distance, they struggled to create enough to really threaten the Slovak goal - and although Hodgson tried to influence the game with his changes to the team and the substitutions - it was all like for like he doesn't have a 'Plan B'.

Even Glen Hoddle was left wishing for an Andy Carroll type player to get on the end of the crosses.

But England have qualified, albeit the Welsh have outshone England and finished top in a group that England should really have won by a street - five strikers in the squad and England can only average a goal a game.

I actually think that some of the changes were positive Clyne had a blinder first half, and Henderson was better than I thought he could be, but Wilshire disappointed - not match fit.

Sturridge is too slow in the build up and Lalanna still flatters to deceive and has no end product.

But above all we missed Rooney,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:

If the FA give Hodgson another contract they all need to go and hang their heads in shame.
Full agreement on that, too many changes from Woy, Andros Townsend must have been shedding a tear or two watching that. Wilshire, poor game, Henderson a tad better but not great, Llanana (how long a name can you have only using three letters?) is a rabbit in the headlights in front of goal. I can't see us turning our chances into goals any time soon unless we get more space when we meet a better team that comes out to play against us.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:54 pm

On another day we would have won 2-0 but we didn't create enough good chances. Wiltshire is still a liability, he gives the ball away too often for a midfielder. When Dier went down I was concerned because he is probably the player we would find it most difficult to replace. Kane and Sterling both dreadfully out of form. Clyne just as good as Walker, unfortunately we have two good players in the same position.

In terms of quality, you could argue that the only difference in the changes Hodgson made were in midfield. Neither Henderson nor Wiltshire played well and I am sure Rooney and Ali will be back for the next game.

Surely, we can't fear any team in Group F, but face France in the Quarters if we qualify.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:57 pm

Would be interested who R&W Mike thinks would be a better option than Hodgson.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:28 pm

Style, no substance? Where have we heard that before...
Wouldn't have took Lallana off. Would have took Henderson off instead, Wilshere justifying everyone's complaints about his place in the squad.. Vardy and Lallana both arguably should've scored but we didn't really create anywhere near enough
He who dares...wins

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:39 pm

sandman wrote:I can't see Slovakia being a big danger but IF Bale and Ramsey perform for Wales, I can see them winning the group with perhaps England second.
Damn, should have put some money on! :rage:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:29 am

harriershane wrote:Style, no substance? Where have we heard that before...
Wouldn't have took Lallana off. Would have took Henderson off instead, Wilshere justifying everyone's complaints about his place in the squad.. Vardy and Lallana both arguably should've scored but we didn't really create anywhere near enough

Lallana shouldn't have started !!!

IF Hodgson needed a change that might be effective, then maybe try Barkley in that role or try Walker with Clyne right side midfield, but I'm not convinced it would have made any difference - England are not equipped to break down massed defences.

Hodgson doesn't think out side the box - he's too predictable.

Hodgson will be lucky to go beyond the next stage IMO - his squad can only play one way.

OH for a Andy Carroll for the last 20 minutes last night.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:40 am

Cal's Spongebag wrote:Would be interested who R&W Mike thinks would be a better option than Hodgson.

Depends on whether the FA want to go with a home grown manager or go back to a foreigner.

BUT there are several guys who would do a better job IMO.

''English'' ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, - Allardyce - no chance as he's not a yes man. Pardew definitely got the ability, or Pullis - very under rated I think.

Foreigners,,,,,,,,,,, - Klopp - he would really be a great manager - Koeman, same comment, or even dear old Ranieri :lol:

Anyone but Hodgson !!!

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mystic » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:19 am

Worrying our best player in every game has been whoever is playing right back!

Might find it easier against a team that actually wants to attack us.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:24 am

At the end of the day, England have managed to win one game, with a goal in the last minute of added time.
But Wales - yes Wales FFS - have topped the group, how embarrassing is that, unless you're Welsh !!! :?:

Hodgson bangs on about dominating games and looking good in possession, - he still doesn't understand how predictable his game plan is and how frustrating his style of football is to watch.

England will continue to struggle to break down organised sides with better players than Slovakia.

Hodgson's insistence on carrying his favourites around with him will be his down fall. Wilshire - Henderson - Sturridge none of them match fit for footy at this level, Milner ( proven failure) and Rashford (unproven kid) are others who shouldn't be there.

Yet the likes of Drinkwater, Carroll, Townsend & Noble who were all in superb form at the end of the season in the Premier League are left behind - ridiculous and a perfect illustration of the man's limitations as a manager.

Tournament football is all about creating momentum and confidence and winning games and to do that you have score goals, under Hodgson in the 2014 World Cup - England finished bottom of their group and managed to score TWO goals, Italy also failed to qualify in the same group. I think it is clear that Italy have progressed with Conte as manager and look a real force in the 2016 Euros, they might even win it, but England under Hodgson have stood still, if you look at the 2014 World Cup squad it is littered with the same faces that failed then, and they are still playing now. A little known trivia fact is that England have the record in World Cup history as the team with most 0-0 results !!!

Good luck to Wales - they could easily progress a lot further than England in the competition, which would be the final insult to English football.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:30 am

England play in what I understand is considered by some to be the 'Right Way' and they do this well to ensure they have the ball for the majority of the 90 minutes BUT the other statistic that needs to be considered is that against Slovakia that dominance brought about ONE shot on target in 90 minutes.

Frankly a disappointing and somewhat boring display where somehow scoring the goals seems to be almost secondary.

Well done indeed to Wales who have done somewhat better than England against Russia and Slovakia.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:31 pm

From the BBC website:
England 29 shot`s, most we have achieved in a Euro Championship final since 1980.
5 shot`s on target.
11-0 corner`s.

Also i would add, a blatant penalty on Cline.

Think under most circumstances such dominance would result in a win.

Agree we should have taken Carroll & Townshend, instead of Rashford(his time will come!) & Sterling.

Don`t agree with criticism of Llalana, one of our better performer`s, can create & rarely gives the ball away.

Don`t see anyone more suited & qualified than Hodgson as manager for the World Cup.

I`m disappointed but we must face reality, we outplayed all 3 opponent`s, but football is football, don`t alway`s get the result you deserve.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:10 pm

Medieval wrote:From the BBC website:
England 29 shot`s, most we have achieved in a Euro Championship final since 1980.
5 shot`s on target.
11-0 corner`s.

Also i would add, a blatant penalty on Cline.

Think under most circumstances such dominance would result in a win.

Agree we should have taken Carroll & Townshend, instead of Rashford(his time will come!) & Sterling.

Don`t agree with criticism of Llalana, one of our better performer`s, can create & rarely gives the ball away.

Don`t see anyone more suited & qualified than Hodgson as manager for the World Cup.

I`m disappointed but we must face reality, we outplayed all 3 opponent`s, but football is football, don`t alway`s get the result you deserve.
Really??

He's played 25 games for England in a forward midfield position and scored ZERO goals,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As for giving NOT the ball away ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,watch more closely. Can be summed IMO by saying - ''there's no end product''

As for suitability for England's manager ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Is there no one else :rolllaugh:

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:04 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:At the end of the day, England have managed to win one game, with a goal in the last minute of added time.
But Wales - yes Wales FFS - have topped the group, how embarrassing is that, unless you're Welsh !!! :?:

Hodgson bangs on about dominating games and looking good in possession, - he still doesn't understand how predictable his game plan is and how frustrating his style of football is to watch.

England will continue to struggle to break down organised sides with better players than Slovakia.

Hodgson's insistence on carrying his favourites around with him will be his down fall. Wilshire - Henderson - Sturridge none of them match fit for footy at this level, Milner ( proven failure) and Rashford (unproven kid) are others who shouldn't be there.

Yet the likes of Drinkwater, Carroll, Townsend & Noble who were all in superb form at the end of the season in the Premier League are left behind - ridiculous and a perfect illustration of the man's limitations as a manager.

Tournament football is all about creating momentum and confidence and winning games and to do that you have score goals, under Hodgson in the 2014 World Cup - England finished bottom of their group and managed to score TWO goals, Italy also failed to qualify in the same group. I think it is clear that Italy have progressed with Conte as manager and look a real force in the 2016 Euros, they might even win it, but England under Hodgson have stood still, if you look at the 2014 World Cup squad it is littered with the same faces that failed then, and they are still playing now. A little known trivia fact is that England have the record in World Cup history as the team with most 0-0 results !!!

Good luck to Wales - they could easily progress a lot further than England in the competition, which would be the final insult to English football.
I do agree with most of what you have said, however the bolded is not true. Of the starting 11 that played against Italy 2 years ago, only 4 players can consider themselves regulars now (Hart, Cahill, Rooney, Strurridge).

The one positive going forward to the knockout rounds is that teams do actually have to press and attack us now. Russia, Wales and Slovakia have all set out to try and get a point. We look better on the counter attack and with players like Vardy, Alli, Sturridge and Rooney we can still be effective against the better teams.

Very few teams in this tournament have stood out above the rest and nobody looks unbeatable.