Euro 2016

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

How will we do in the Euro's?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:53 am

Go out 1st rd
20%
Progress further
5%
Into the quarter finals
45%
Or the semi finals
20%
Win the thing?
10%

Total votes: 20

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Euro 2016

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:52 am

According to the Saturday press, Hodgson is going to play Kane as alone striker in a 3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

AND no Vardy.??

The man is an idiot :beanshaker:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:40 am

I don't normally have much time for Sav, but in this case I think he is bang on and his reasoning is about right.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/robbie-savages-verdict-england-boss-8245617
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:06 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
jim mankey wrote:Iceland my team of the tournament so far, I wouldn't take anything for granted against them. 330,000 population? Brilliant effort by them.
For such a small nation, getting to the Euro's was a fantastic achievement, getting to the final 16 even more so.

But beating England ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NO chance.
Well fair play Iceland but how awful were we? And yes Mike I, amongst quite a few others, saw this coming.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Hodgson has resigned. Sadly I think he was starting to do a decent job and only needed a little more time.

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Phil wrote:Hodgson has resigned. Sadly I think he was starting to do a decent job and only needed a little more time.
:troll:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:23 pm

Medieval wrote:From the BBC website:
England 29 shot`s, most we have achieved in a Euro Championship final since 1980.
5 shot`s on target.
11-0 corner`s.

Also i would add, a blatant penalty on Cline.

Think under most circumstances such dominance would result in a win.

Agree we should have taken Carroll & Townshend, instead of Rashford(his time will come!) & Sterling.

Don`t agree with criticism of Llalana, one of our better performer`s, can create & rarely gives the ball away.

Don`t see anyone more suited & qualified than Hodgson as manager for the World Cup.

I`m disappointed but we must face reality, we outplayed all 3 opponent`s, but football is football, don`t alway`s get the result you deserve.

Ashamed and embarrassed to be an England fan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

When I think back to just before the 2012 Euro's when he was appointed as manager and the discussions that went on this message board as to the merits of Hodgson for the job - there were not many who agreed with me that it was a major mistake by the F A - so now we wait for the next blunder,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Chickens have well and truly come home to roost.

Don't often get much right according to some, but I have to say I got this spot on - Hodgson was a disaster.

Hopeless Hapless Hodgson, who will ever forget this ignominious night of English International football, beaten by Iceland who don't even have a professional league at home.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:27 pm

jim mankey wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
jim mankey wrote:Iceland my team of the tournament so far, I wouldn't take anything for granted against them. 330,000 population? Brilliant effort by them.
For such a small nation, getting to the Euro's was a fantastic achievement, getting to the final 16 even more so.

But beating England ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NO chance.
Well fair play Iceland but how awful were we? And yes Mike I, amongst quite a few others, saw this coming.
Fair play Jim - it appears you had even less faith in England under Hodgson than I did !!!!!!!

I still cannot believe the guy didn't start with Vardy but preferred Sterling, and how bad was Sturridge??

Hodgson got what his abject squad/team selection deserved.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:24 am

We all have our preferences as to the make up of the squad and the team, but I reckon that bar Sterling, that is the team that most would have put out.

How can you legislate for such poor performances from the players. Would Hart had stopped the ball if the manager had been any different. Would Kane have been able to get free kicks on target, or put in crosses within 15 yards of the target? Does anyone really believe that the team weren't told of the threat from throw-ins and weren't assigned jobs? A scan through the player ratings in the online newspapers makes sad reading.

Yet again another tournament where we have failed to make the grade. Another manager, discarded - as well as Neville and Lewington. So we lurch to another...and Gareth Southgate is the favourite...
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:33 am

Cal's Spongebag wrote:We all have our preferences as to the make up of the squad and the team, but I reckon that bar Sterling, that is the team that most would have put out.

How can you legislate for such poor performances from the players. Would Hart had stopped the ball if the manager had been any different. Would Kane have been able to get free kicks on target, or put in crosses within 15 yards of the target? Does anyone really believe that the team weren't told of the threat from throw-ins and weren't assigned jobs? A scan through the player ratings in the online newspapers makes sad reading.

Yet again another tournament where we have failed to make the grade. Another manager, discarded - as well as Neville and Lewington. So we lurch to another...and Gareth Southgate is the favourite...

I think that is the most apologetic mind numbing reasoning to try and excuse the incompetence and sheer inept thinking of a man who was lost in his own confusion as regards a team and methodology required for International football.

Blame the players, yes they weren't good enough on the night - but how many times do you keep re-running a failed exercise and bankrupt ideas before you realise it ain't working - the man couldn't or wouldn't see the obvious.

The squad he took was wrong - the system for the players he did take was wrong, his team selections were confusing and his use of substitutions were naive and smacked of hope over substance.

Roy Hodgson was the best paid manager at the tournament - yet he was lost for ideas and how to win at International level, he was totally out of his depth.

Winning all the Euro qualifiers in a ridiculously easy group masked the level of his incompetence - the friendlies prior to the tournament should have been a warning as to what was going to happen - but so many fans chose to shut there eyes to the obvious.

His insistence on staying with unfit and out of form ''favourite'' players in preference to in form alternatives has shown Hodgson up for what he is and has led to him scampering away with his tail between his legs without a word of apology, never to trusted in a position of significance at International level again.

Coaching Greenland next???

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:14 am

Didn't watch it....after Germany 4 England 1 I have refused to watch any England internationals live and so am refreshingly free of frustration, disappointment and anger this morning....if a tad sad at the outcome. :~

As for the next Manager....window-dressing; it really doesn't matter who is appointed. Lets try Ricky Tomlinson for real.

The football world have this soul-searching inquest every two years on what's gone wrong, then a month later drop everything to go back to the domestic season start as if its all been sorted.
The inherent structure of the English game top to bottom is so desperately poor and skewed towards the Premiership and the money involved that the international team will never ever perform as we would like until the whole structure is disassembled and put together along continental lines.
More qualified coaches, better academies, more English players blooded in the top flight, etc.
A twenty year plan if we start now......
Good luck with that Mr Dyke.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:54 am

Mike, I think you need to have a little think about your level of vitriol towards Hodgson.

Does he remind you of a schoolteacher that was nasty to you?
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:28 am

Congratulations to Iceland - a joy to watch. Better than England in all departments - organisation, commitment, team spirit, shirts and fans (who's going to adopt the HOOO for next season?).

Ironic that they should dump England whilst actually playing a most English-style of football - maybe we could learn something?

Yeah you could blame Hodgson, the players etc but anyone with a football-mad son could tell you there's something rotten at the roots of English football where kids of 8 are thrust into competitive matches which are entirely results driven and where 'coaches' with no coaching qualifications stand on the sidelines shouting 'get stuck in' and 'get rid'.

In contrast Iceland have set up an effective coaching system with proportionally far more qualified UEFA coaches (see here: http://www.thecoachdiary.com/3-amazing-facts-on-player-development-in-icelandic-football/)

So - Hamingjuóskir til hugrakkir Íslands hetjur!

Two exits in the space of five days, the first not predictable but ridiculous, the second predictable and, in my eyes, entirely deserved.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:45 am

Two exits in the space of five days, the first not predictable but ridiculous, the second predictable and, in my eyes, entirely deserved.
On an associated note..... :rolllaugh:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/jermaine-pennant-wants-know-what-11519860

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:17 am

Cal's Spongebag wrote:Mike, I think you need to have a little think about your level of vitriol towards Hodgson.

Does he remind you of a schoolteacher that was nasty to you?

''The opposite of love, is not hate - it's indifference'',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chris Pike

Did you fly the Cross of St George from you house, or even have one fluttering on your car?

I would guess not................................. :tumble:

How anyone with an ounce of patriotic feeling who can be ambivalent towards a man who has presided over the worst night in English football's history should go and check their birth certificate,,,,,,,,,

In the immediate aftermath of this shameless exercise of sheer woeful ineptitude I cannot find an ounce of sympathy for the man who's been paid millions to drag English football back into the same depths as a certain Graham Taylor.

The morning after, the score still reads ICELAND 2 ENGLAND 1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And the FA should take along hard look at themselves as well - but we all know nothing much will change there.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:01 pm

On a brighter note England did whitewash Australia in the rugby!! :D