Euro 2016

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

How will we do in the Euro's?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:53 am

Go out 1st rd
20%
Progress further
5%
Into the quarter finals
45%
Or the semi finals
20%
Win the thing?
10%

Total votes: 20

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Euro 2016

Post by Phil » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:53 am

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Euro 2016

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:23 am

I note the latest comment from Wroy that he's going to set up the team to attack,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :crying:

That's fine the only trouble is the defence is as sound as a choc teapot.

Don't think Hodgson has a clue when it comes to assessing quality, - Henderson, Milner, & Wilshire ,,,,,,,,,jeez! - Not good enough.

And he leaves Drinkwater behind?? The likes of West Ham's Mark Noble, Nathan Redmond(Norwich) don't even get a trial.

Be surprised if Vardy gets much game time, as Kane & Sturridge will be preferred.

Will be a miracle if England make it out of the group stage.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mystic » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:37 am

Bit harsh!! Milner and Wilshire are light years ahead of Mark Noble (Redmond, really?)although I do think Drinkwater should definitely have gone as he would offer our defence more protection and fear they will need it.

In summary it might click going forward so hopefully we will get some excitement, but can't see us being able to keep the decent teams out at the back. And that isn't really Roy's fault we just don't have good enough defenders.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:33 am

Mystic wrote:Bit harsh!! Milner and Wilshire are light years ahead of Mark Noble (Redmond, really?)although I do think Drinkwater should definitely have gone as he would offer our defence more protection and fear they will need it.

In summary it might click going forward so hopefully we will get some excitement, but can't see us being able to keep the decent teams out at the back. And that isn't really Roy's fault we just don't have good enough defenders.
Milner is a donkey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Wilshire is so inconsistent for England, seems like he can only play for Wenger, when he's fit!!!

Noble ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,every team team needs that type of player - even in 1966 England one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,his name was Nobby.

And if it ever came to a penalty shoot out (which it might) he doesn't miss!!

Yes Norwich got relegated but Redmond has played at all levels for the National side and has scored NINE goals for the U21's

But Hodgson has previous when it comes to his favourites.

Only my opinion of course,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Morgan
Respect the 4th Official
Respect the 4th Official

Post by Morgan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:22 pm

Can't see England going out in the group stage when the could get through by finishing third.
Colin Gordon supporters seem very keen on his mates who’ve bought the club from him, don’t they? :kissarse:

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:03 pm

I agree that it is almost impossible for any of the bigger teams to go out at the group stage. Any side who win 1 game out of 3 are likely to progress.

All it means now is that you will end up with a straight knockout 16 team tournament after the groups instead of the old set up of 4 groups of 4 followed by the knockouts with 8 teams.

In theory this should make it slightly harder to win as you will now need to win 4 straight knockout games instead of 3.

England will make the last 16 and then I suppose it is anyone's guess. If they win the group they get a much easier draw than coming 2nd as they couldn't play the likes of Germany or France until the semis. Come 2nd and it could be Portugal in the last 16 followed by France in the quarters.

I fly out next Friday. Starting with England v Russia on Saturday and ending with the last 16 game in Nice on June 27th. Got tickets for 7 games plus a pair for the final although I'll probably only go back out for that if England make it.

Anyone else going?

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:47 pm

Harry Err wrote:I agree that it is almost impossible for any of the bigger teams to go out at the group stage. Any side who win 1 game out of 3 are likely to progress.
You think England will win a game ?????????

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:04 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Harry Err wrote:I agree that it is almost impossible for any of the bigger teams to go out at the group stage. Any side who win 1 game out of 3 are likely to progress.

You think England will win a game ?????????
I reckon a win and 2 draws in the group and we'll come 2nd.

Must be about 10/1 on us not winning any of the 3. That's not our style anyway. Far more likely to lose in the last 16 with Ronaldo scoring the 5th penalty in the shoot out at the England end!

Either way it'll be a great laugh. People who stay at home often appear more bothered about the result than those who travel. I suppose its because although the football is the reason people are there it is still only a small part of the actual holiday. Nothing beats the camaraderie of following a tournament for a few weeks.

How anyone could possibly think that booking a couple of weeks on a beach is a better alternative is beyond me!

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mystic » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:07 pm

You could easily qualify with 3 draws but expect England to comfortably get out of the group. Russia aren't as good as they were and are missing their best player and Slovakia will be a similar opposition to that we swept aside in qualifying. Wales likely to be the toughest game in my opinion but Bale aside we have by far the better team.

And I used to agree regarding Milner but thought he was outstanding towards end of the season for Liverpool which is reflected in the number of assists, key tackles etc. he made. Plus he'll work his balls off which is needed when the midfield is as unbalanced as it is likely to be.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:22 pm

The usual script will apply......
First game will be an anti climax , the squad will 'come together' under media critisism to scrape through the group stages and thereafter we'll perform a 'plucky defense' after a dissallowed goal/sending off/etc. before going down on penalties in the Knock out stages..... :cool:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:28 pm

Finally a subject I can feel positive about (despite the dull performance last night).

I think we'll do well. For the first time in a long time, I think it's easy to feel excited about the team. We have a good England team, rather than a good England squad, of which there's a big difference.

Kane, Alli, Vardy, and Dier have all had fantastic club seasons. I think it's an awful decision to drop Drinkwater for Wilshere, who has spent most of his adult career crocked, and Drinkwater could've done a great job alongside Dier deep in midfield, coming off the back of his Prem win.

Defensively we're a bit suspect, but it's not as though we've got world-class center backs to pluck out of thin air and Hodgson can only work with the squad he has. A clean sheet last night was welcome, and with the cautious style of play after their sending off I wonder if that was one of Roy's objectives from the off.

I think there's a chance we'll top the group, reach the Quarter Finals or the Semi's. Seriously. Wouldn't fear Wales or Slovakia, Russia are always tricky but as long as we play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 rather than leading with the 4-1-2-1-2 diamond, we'll be okay.

It's surprising how in the last few years, in utter contrast to the Barcelona days under Pep, those who are winning leagues and titles are those who are surrendering possession to the opposition. You only have to look at the impotency of United this season contrasted with the exciting attacking counter prowess of Leicester, or Chelsea the season before. England played in a very similar way against Australia and Turkey (which I was at) and did well. If we start on the front foot, look to attack and don't play Wayne Rooney for the sheer sake of it. We could really do well.

The diamond deployed last night didn't work well at all, however as we saw against Germany, it can really throw an opposition into disarray if it's switched to in a second half against tired legs.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:08 pm

harry211 wrote:Finally a subject I can feel positive about (despite the dull performance last night).

I think we'll do well. For the first time in a long time, I think it's easy to feel excited about the team. We have a good England team, rather than a good England squad, of which there's a big difference.

Kane, Alli, Vardy, and Dier have all had fantastic club seasons. I think it's an awful decision to drop Drinkwater for Wilshere, who has spent most of his adult career crocked, and Drinkwater could've done a great job alongside Dier deep in midfield, coming off the back of his Prem win.

Defensively we're a bit suspect, but it's not as though we've got world-class center backs to pluck out of thin air and Hodgson can only work with the squad he has. A clean sheet last night was welcome, and with the cautious style of play after their sending off I wonder if that was one of Roy's objectives from the off.

I think there's a chance we'll top the group, reach the Quarter Finals or the Semi's. Seriously. Wouldn't fear Wales or Slovakia, Russia are always tricky but as long as we play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 rather than leading with the 4-1-2-1-2 diamond, we'll be okay.

It's surprising how in the last few years, in utter contrast to the Barcelona days under Pep, those who are winning leagues and titles are those who are surrendering possession to the opposition. You only have to look at the impotency of United this season contrasted with the exciting attacking counter prowess of Leicester, or Chelsea the season before. England played in a very similar way against Australia and Turkey (which I was at) and did well. If we start on the front foot, look to attack and don't play Wayne Rooney for the sheer sake of it. We could really do well.

The diamond deployed last night didn't work well at all, however as we saw against Germany, it can really throw an opposition into disarray if it's switched to in a second half against tired legs.
Can you let me have some of what you're having,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D

Your analysis presupposes Hodgson plays with some pace to strike on the break - with Vardy & Sterling and off course assumes that the opposition won't plan for that.

I have to be honest and say I think Hodgson will revert to type for the first game - Kane as a lone striker with his captain in support, he won't drop Rooney, and rely on his wing backs for width and in the process get caught out defensively.

I don't see Vardy or Sterling starting against Russia. Midfield something like Alli - Dier - Wilshire - Milner/Lallana and Rooney just behind Kane.

Just my opinion :crying:

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:32 pm

Vardy will start. Plenty of spot-on articles in the press today decrying Hodgson crowbaring Rooney in for the sheer sake of it. I genuinely think that if Rooney doesn't perform in the first two games he could get shelved, he's England's most overrated, and underperforming (relative to his ability) player in the last decade.

As an aside, went to England vs Turkey as mentioned above, would thoroughly recommend it if people can get to a game at some point (hopefully the FA will continue their trend of taking them 'on tour' of England). Great atmosphere and day out in general.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Im quite optimistic about this tournament for England, we are actually going into it with a squad featuring plenty of form players.

I've said for a while that we will reach the semi's and im sticking with that, I think only France, Spain and Germany can boast a stronger team than us.

Hopefully Roy ditches the formation that didn't really work in the friendlies with Kane and Vardy splitting wide for Rooney to play in the middle. I'd drop Rooney deeper like he was playing for United towards the end of the season. He has a superb pass on him and can be a very useful playmaker. Let Alli roam just off the front 2 and use his skill to create chances like he has been doing for spurs all season.

The final 2 midfield spots would be a tough call, I'd have to go with Wiltshire if fit as he does have that spark, Would then be tough to choose between Dier and Henderson, perhaps Dier who is better defensively. The back 4 is obviously our weakest point, however we have enough quality in the final third to hurt teams.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:31 am

Arsene Wenger's thrown a curved ball into the Euro mix with his pre-emptive strike for James Vardy - how unsettling is that to the player on the eve of a big tournament?

I can imagine the England manager cursing Wenger over his iced cream soda in Chantilly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The outcome of Wenger's disruptive move for one of England's stars is hardly going to help Vardy focus on the here and now and even if he plays hard to get and turns Arsenal down, who's to say at some point Wenger won't up the ante and improve the terms offered as apparently Leicester have accepted they can't stop the transfer, due to to the buy out clause in his contract.

From an England perspective - it's something they could have done without and maybe the transfer window needs to be extended to include tournaments like the Euros and World Cup to prevent players being unsettled by managers that don't give a FF for National interests.

All in all it makes the prospect of Vardy being in the starting eleven against Russia a little less certain I would think, but Hodgson might surprise us all yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll: