Euro 2016

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

How will we do in the Euro's?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:53 am

Go out 1st rd
20%
Progress further
5%
Into the quarter finals
45%
Or the semi finals
20%
Win the thing?
10%

Total votes: 20

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Euro 2016

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:20 am

My guess at the team that Hodgson will select for the first game v Russia

.......................Hart

Walker.....Smalling......Cahill......Rose

Alli........Wilshire........Dier......Milner

......................Rooney

.......................Kane

Good enough to win for sure.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:44 pm

I think England will do well to get past the first or second knockout stage. It's a young, inexperienced squad and they will concede goals. It's hard to look past the Germans. I'm surprised at the prices for Italy and I don't see France being favourites at all other than being on home turf. In England's group, it will be interesting to see which Russia turn up as they can be very good or very poor. I can't see Slovakia being a big danger but IF Bale and Ramsey perform for Wales, I can see them winning the group with perhaps England second. England need to make the most of their talent going forward and not stifle it through negative tactics. I'm massively looking forward to the tournament and just hope some of the so-called minnows come out to play rather than trying to shut up shop.

Hartleburyharrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Hartleburyharrier » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:31 pm

France have a good squad, and are the bookies favourites, I'll go with France, Germany, Spain and Belgium in the semis, if they can avoid each other, with an outside bet on Belgium winning it. I don't think England will get to the latter stages, our defence is poor, Wales won't get out of the group, IMHO.

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:10 pm

sandman wrote:I think England will do well to get past the first or second knockout stage. It's a young, inexperienced squad and they will concede goals. It's hard to look past the Germans. I'm surprised at the prices for Italy and I don't see France being favourites at all other than being on home turf. In England's group, it will be interesting to see which Russia turn up as they can be very good or very poor. I can't see Slovakia being a big danger but IF Bale and Ramsey perform for Wales, I can see them winning the group with perhaps England second. England need to make the most of their talent going forward and not stifle it through negative tactics. I'm massively looking forward to the tournament and just hope some of the so-called minnows come out to play rather than trying to shut up shop.
Russia have lost 2 of their best players (midfielders Dinisov and Dzagoev) on the eve on the Tournament due to injury so England will surely never have a better chance to get off to a great start. The Wales game will probably come down to how well Bale plays as he scored 80% of their qualifying goals.

I'd be extremely disappointed if England dont win the group, we would then get a last 16 tie against a 3rd placed team (someone like Romania or Turkey) which is all you could ask for at that stage of the competition. Finish 2nd in the group and we would have a near impossible route in the knockouts.

Jackygold55
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Jackygold55 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:27 pm

My two bets for the tournament (bit of interest when england go out!)

Germany, Spain, France and Belgium all to win their group 6/1

France v Belgium final 25/1

As for our starting squad, i think it'll be the same as started the last game against Portugal, so god help us. We have absolutley no width to our squad. Our best 'wide' players are Theo Walcott (injured) and Raheem Sterling (shit). So yeah....

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:42 am

Croatia 25/1.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:55 am

Disappointed that Townsend (and Carroll to a lesser degree) wasn't selected as he gives us an option we don't have elsewhere.

Its about time we had some luck in a big tournament.

It is quite possible that only 2 of the players who started our first qualifying match in September 2014 will start against Russia.

Hodgson has a remarkable record in the last couple of years.

I'd rather see Defoe than Rashford.

The Rashford thing seems a bit like Walcott under Sven. A selection made to make the manager look as if he can be a risk taker, when the reality
is that the player is unlikely to get any game time.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:26 pm

It all starts now.

France v Romania. Any forecasts? I'll go 3-0 to the hosts.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:38 pm

IF France are to be serious contenders they have to win this.

And win well

So I think it could be a big score against one of the minor outsiders..................**** 200/1 to win the competition.

4-0 .............................Bet 365 will give you 14/1 for that score.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:55 pm

What a truly amateurish and boring opening ceremony :oops2:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:57 am

Bitterly disappointed in France - just how lucky were they to win ?

Romania should have scored in the first half.

Mind you Payet's goal was worthy of winning ANY game!!

No doubt France will improve and they have some talented players - but I can't see them winning the competition, not on that display even allowing for improvement, they look very suspect at the back, apart from Lloris.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:26 am

Worrying news for England fans according to the media reports this morning,,,,,,,,,,,Jack Wilshire is not fit and Hodgson is going to play Rooney in a midfield role??

Four years to get the formation sorted and the style of play well and truly established, but no, we have England starting Euros 16 with a complete experimental rejig,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,where's the long term planning.

If media reports are true, Hodgson is going to go back to the same front three that started against Spain back in November.

Raheem Sterling has scored two goals for England in the qualifiers - one against Lithuania and one against Estonia.
Adam Lallana has yet to score for the National side in over twenty appearances.

So I hope Harry Kane is on his game.

I see a game where there will be the usual attempt to retain possession with lots of passing sideways and backwards and actual goal scoring chances at a premium.

I noticed in an earlier comment some one mentioned the exclusion of Andy Carroll in the squad being a mistake, but never mind there is always a chance Wayne Rooney might pop one in from the center circle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Of course it might all go to plan and England might scrape a boring 1-0 with set piece goal and Hodgson will say how pleased he was with clean sheet ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:40 pm

Any forecasts for the England game then? I'll go a 1-1 draw.

Anyone?

Hartleburyharrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Hartleburyharrier » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:45 pm

Phil wrote:Any forecasts for the England game then? I'll go a 1-1 draw.

Anyone?

:like:

Hartleburyharrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Hartleburyharrier » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:47 pm

"Wales won't get out of the group, IMHO."

Oh well, looks like that prediction's gone tits up ! Lol.