Euro 2016

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

How will we do in the Euro's?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:53 am

Go out 1st rd
20%
Progress further
5%
Into the quarter finals
45%
Or the semi finals
20%
Win the thing?
10%

Total votes: 20

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Euro 2016

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:08 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Cal's Spongebag wrote:Mike, I think you need to have a little think about your level of vitriol towards Hodgson.

Does he remind you of a schoolteacher that was nasty to you?

''The opposite of love, is not hate - it's indifference'',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chris Pike

Did you fly the Cross of St George from you house, or even have one fluttering on your car?

I would guess not................................. :tumble:

How anyone with an ounce of patriotic feeling who can be ambivalent towards a man who has presided over the worst night in English football's history should go and check their birth certificate,,,,,,,,,

In the immediate aftermath of this shameless exercise of sheer woeful ineptitude I cannot find an ounce of sympathy for the man who's been paid millions to drag English football back into the same depths as a certain Graham Taylor.

The morning after, the score still reads ICELAND 2 ENGLAND 1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And the FA should take along hard look at themselves as well - but we all know nothing much will change there.
That is a bit presumptuous. And, incorrect. I do, in fact, have a big England flag draped outside the house. I have watched England at Wembley many times, most recently when we qualified for the last World Cup. I watched England in the World Cup finals in Frankfurt.

I would rather people focus on the bigger picture rather than lambaste the latest carrier of the poison chalice. Sure, some deeper level of analysis won't make tabloid headlines. The media thrive on knee-jerk reactions, particularly negative ones.

I am not defending Hodgson he had to go. The players will remain, as will the FA. As will the Premier League.

Capello, McClaren, Ericsson, Keegan, Hoddle, Taylor. All of them castigated. All of them failed.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
Cal's Spongebag wrote:Mike, I think you need to have a little think about your level of vitriol towards Hodgson.

''The opposite of love, is not hate - it's indifference'',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chris Pike

Did you fly the Cross of St George from you house, or even have one fluttering on your car?

How anyone with an ounce of patriotic feeling who can be ambivalent towards a man who has presided over the worst night in English football's history should go and check their birth certificate,,,,,,,,,

In the immediate aftermath of this shameless exercise of sheer woeful ineptitude I cannot find an ounce of sympathy for the man who's been paid millions to drag English football back into the same depths as a certain Graham Taylor.

The morning after, the score still reads ICELAND 2 ENGLAND 1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And the FA should take along hard look at themselves as well - but we all know nothing much will change there.
That is a bit presumptuous. And, incorrect. I do, in fact, have a big England flag draped outside the house. I have watched England at Wembley many times, most recently when we qualified for the last World Cup. I watched England in the World Cup finals in Frankfurt.

I would rather people focus on the bigger picture rather than lambaste the latest carrier of the poison chalice. Sure, some deeper level of analysis won't make tabloid headlines. The media thrive on knee-jerk reactions, particularly negative ones.

I am not defending Hodgson he had to go. The players will remain, as will the FA. As will the Premier League.

Capello, McClaren, Ericsson, Keegan, Hoddle, Taylor. All of them castigated. All of them failed.

My apologies for inferring that you might not be patriotic as some others, but I do find it difficult to accept the defence of the indefensible, and you did sound like you were trying to ''understand'' Hodgson's failings and in some way excuse his total and absolute mismanagement of the team under him.

I'm a little bemused by reference to ''The bigger picture'' - winning games at competition level is the only picture that matters IMO.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:14 pm

add to that list the one who did succeed (Sir Alf).....who in 1974 was castigated as a failure after failing to qualify for the World Cup. :~
Hoddle's 'failure' was more of his own personal making than specific failures on the pitch.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:29 pm

garthrockett wrote:
add to that list the one who did succeed (Sir Alf).....who in 1974 was castigated as a failure after failing to qualify for the World Cup. :~
Hoddle's 'failure' was more of his own personal making than specific failures on the pitch.
I would give the job to Hoddle & Shearer as joint manager/coach.

BUT I fear Southgate will be a shoe in - another ''Yes Man''
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:58 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Medieval wrote:From the BBC website:
England 29 shot`s, most we have achieved in a Euro Championship final since 1980.
5 shot`s on target.
11-0 corner`s.

Also i would add, a blatant penalty on Cline.

Think under most circumstances such dominance would result in a win.

Agree we should have taken Carroll & Townshend, instead of Rashford(his time will come!) & Sterling.

Don`t agree with criticism of Llalana, one of our better performer`s, can create & rarely gives the ball away.

Don`t see anyone more suited & qualified than Hodgson as manager for the World Cup.

I`m disappointed but we must face reality, we outplayed all 3 opponent`s, but football is football, don`t alway`s get the result you deserve.

Ashamed and embarrassed to be an England fan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

When I think back to just before the 2012 Euro's when he was appointed as manager and the discussions that went on this message board as to the merits of Hodgson for the job - there were not many who agreed with me that it was a major mistake by the F A - so now we wait for the next blunder,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Chickens have well and truly come home to roost.

Don't often get much right according to some, but I have to say I got this spot on - Hodgson was a disaster.

Hopeless Hapless Hodgson, who will ever forget this ignominious night of English International football, beaten by Iceland who don't even have a professional league at home.

I stand by my post, but do accept as manager, after last night he had to go. Can`t see where we go from here regarding a new manager. Hoddle possibly, but please not Shearer.

After good performances in the first 3 games, all with Lallana in the team, we failed miserably. Shocked when i heard Sterling was back, even then never considered we could lose.

Agree with Garthrocket, our game from top to bottom is flawed, don`t ever see it being repaired:

"Premier League is on fire....the FA are terrified"

Credit to Iceland, finishing above Holland & Turkey in the qualfier, they have proved they are no mug`s.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:16 pm

Medieval wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
England 29 shot`s, most we have achieved in a Euro Championship final since 1980.
5 shot`s on target.
11-0 corner`s.

Agree we should have taken Carroll & Townshend, instead of Rashford(his time will come!) & Sterling.

Don`t agree with criticism of Llalana, one of our better performer`s, can create & rarely gives the ball away.

Don`t see anyone more suited & qualified than Hodgson as manager for the World Cup.

I`m disappointed but we must face reality, we outplayed all 3 opponent`s, but football is football, don`t alway`s get the result you deserve.

When I think back to just before the 2012 Euro's when he was appointed as manager and the discussions that went on this message board as to the merits of Hodgson for the job - there were not many who agreed with me that it was a major mistake by the F A - so now we wait for the next blunder,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Don't often get much right according to some, but I have to say I got this spot on - Hodgson was a disaster.

Hopeless Hapless Hodgson, who will ever forget this ignominious night of English International football, beaten by Iceland who don't even have a professional league at home.

I stand by my post, but do accept as manager, after last night he had to go. Can`t see where we go from here regarding a new manager. Hoddle possibly, but please not Shearer.

After good performances in the first 3 games, all with Lallana in the team, we failed miserably. Shocked when i heard Sterling was back, even then never considered we could lose.

Agree with Garthrocket, our game from top to bottom is flawed, don`t ever see it being repaired:

Credit to Iceland, finishing above Holland & Turkey in the qualfier, they have proved they are no mug`s.
How on earth can you contradict yourself - and not put up a smiley,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

.....................''You don't always get the result you deserve'' - last night we did !!

And Hodgson rather belatedly got what he deserved.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:26 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Medieval wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
5 shot`s on target.
11-0 corner`s.

How on earth can you contradict yourself - and not put up a smiley,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

.....................''You don't always get the result you deserve'' - last night we did !!

And Hodgson rather belatedly got what he deserved.
Not a contridiction, just stating fact`s, but here`s a smiley anyway :D

Yes, Iceland thoroughly deserved the win.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:26 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
Cal's Spongebag wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:

My apologies for inferring that you might not be patriotic as some others, but I do find it difficult to accept the defence of the indefensible, and you did sound like you were trying to ''understand'' Hodgson's failings and in some way excuse his total and absolute mismanagement of the team under him.

I'm a little bemused by reference to ''The bigger picture'' - winning games at competition level is the only picture that matters IMO.
The bigger picture would be to work out why we have failed so badly at major tournaments since 1966. To work out why, almost without exception, every England manager has been appointed by the FA and after varying amounts of matches, ridiculed and sacked/resigned.

People wonder why the 'shortlist' of potential candidates is so short. People talk about why England players playing with 'fear'.

Haranguing Hodgson is a waste of time. If he is to be hung out in public so that people can vent their spleen, then so be it.

If people need a whipping boy, then there you go, its Roy. Suits the FA no doubt. Whose next in line....Southgate. Ah, Gareth - that will be the answer. Nothing to see here.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
Cal's Spongebag wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:

The bigger picture would be to work out why we have failed so badly at major tournaments since 1966. To work out why, almost without exception, every England manager has been appointed by the FA and after varying amounts of matches, ridiculed and sacked/resigned.

People wonder why the 'shortlist' of potential candidates is so short. People talk about why England players playing with 'fear'.

Haranguing Hodgson is a waste of time. If he is to be hung out in public so that people can vent their spleen, then so be it.

If people need a whipping boy, then there you go, its Roy. Suits the FA no doubt. Whose next in line....Southgate. Ah, Gareth - that will be the answer. Nothing to see here.

Sorry to be obtuse, but I did suggest in 2012 when he was appointed that he wasn't the guy for the job, so it isn't as though I'v just started to knife him in the back.

As regards the reasoning behind problems with England's managers - I don't think it's any big deal - the FA is run by oldish out of touch money men who have a very limited knowledge of the game - Greg Dyke being a perfect example, a media mogul.

I assume they will be making another major blunder when they give the job to Southgate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:

And so it goes on.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:55 pm

I remember you wanted Harry 'The Crook' Redknapp, and I know you have been stabbing Hodgson in the back at every opportunity since! :)

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:I remember you wanted Harry 'The Crook' Redknapp, and I know you have been stabbing Hodgson in the back at every opportunity since! :)

Correct - And you think Harry Redknapp would have done a worse job ??

Don't bother answering that - I already know what you think, which is why your defence of Hodgson is so laughable.

Who would you choose for the next England manager, or are you happy to back whoever the F A appoints?

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:37 am

the FA is run by oldish out of touch money men who have a very limited knowledge of the game
Chairman: Greg Dyke
Chief Executive: Martin Glenn
Vice-Chairman: Roger Burden (Gloucestershire FA)
board Members:
Barry Bright (Kent FA)
Mervyn Leggett (Worcestershire FA)
Michael Game (Essex FA)
David Gill (Manchester United CE)
Keith Lamb (Middlesbrough Non-Executive Director)
John Nixon
Paul Falkner
Non-executive directors:
Heather Rabbatts (First female FA Board member)
Roger Devlin

Not one of the above has ever played professional football.......says it all.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:03 pm

I've just returned home after nearly 3 weeks in France. I was at the Iceland game and also the other England games plus 4 neutral games.

I have seen 11 of the teams play live and have met up with fans from a few more than that so have had a pretty good overview of what was going on out there.

The big difference between England and virtually everyone else is passion. For most other countries playing for the national side is still the peak for players and supporters. It really isn't the case with England. As the years go by I get ever more convinced that for quite a significant proportion of England players selection is almost an inconvenience. The premier league dominates everything and that is where they make their money. Being selected for England simply means less time off for little reward. The days of needing to prove yourself at International level to warrant a big domestic contract are long gone.

Don't get me wrong though I had a fantastic holiday but that was due far more to what happened off the pitch than on it. England away these days is just a good excuse to meet up with mates who you might not see that often as they don't live locally. It is increasingly becoming a social rather that football event. It's a shame it is not both!

I don't blame Hodgson I blame the players. In the ground in Nice on Monday it is fair to say that for the last half an hour or so a huge proportion of the England support turned on the players. Some might say that is unacceptable but I don't subscribe to that. I have spent many £10,000's following England over the years as have many others who were there. I'm not so naive that I think we will win tournaments year after year however a modicum of success once in a while wouldn't go amiss.

We too often under perform against teams whose sum is greater than their parts whereas we are the exact opposite. This leads to a massive disconnect between fans and players. Like many others who travel to England away I do so as an England team supporter. Do I support the individual players as well? I don't think I do. Like many others the players are seen as temporary and they regularly let down the team. This is so different to how other countries supporters view their own players.

There is also another factor at play which doesn't affect the other countries quite as much as ours and that is the fact that the vast majority of England away support do not follow teams back in England that any of the players represent. This adds to the disconnect.

I really don't think there is a straightforward solution. The premier league has ruined everything and I can't see them disbanding that any time soon!

Oh well onwards to Russia 2018. No doubt that'll be a barrel of laughs on and off the pitch!

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:18 pm

Harry Err wrote:I've just returned home after nearly 3 weeks in France. I was at the Iceland game and also the other England games plus 4 neutral games.

I have seen 11 of the teams play live and have met up with fans from a few more than that so have had a pretty good overview of what was going on out there.

The big difference between England and virtually everyone else is passion. For most other countries playing for the national side is still the peak for players and supporters. It really isn't the case with England. As the years go by I get ever more convinced that for quite a significant proportion of England players selection is almost an inconvenience. The premier league dominates everything and that is where they make their money. Being selected for England simply means less time off for little reward. The days of needing to prove yourself at International level to warrant a big domestic contract are long gone.

Don't get me wrong though I had a fantastic holiday but that was due far more to what happened off the pitch than on it. England away these days is just a good excuse to meet up with mates who you might not see that often as they don't live locally. It is increasingly becoming a social rather that football event. It's a shame it is not both

I don't blame Hodgson I blame the players. In the ground in Nice on Monday it is fair to say that for the last half an hour or so a huge proportion of the England support turned on the players. Some might say that is unacceptable but I don't subscribe to that. I have spent many £10,000's following England over the years as have many others who were there. I'm not so naive that I think we will win tournaments year after year however a modicum of success once in a while wouldn't go amiss.

We too often under perform against teams whose sum is greater than their parts whereas we are the exact opposite. This leads to a massive disconnect between fans and players. Like many others who travel to England away I do so as an England team supporter. Do I support the individual players as well? I don't think I do. Like many others the players are seen as temporary and they regularly let down the team. This is so different to how other countries supporters view their own players.

There is also another factor at play which doesn't affect the other countries quite as much as ours and that is the fact that the vast majority of England away support do not follow teams back in England that any of the players represent. This adds to the disconnect.

I really don't think there is a straightforward solution. The premier league has ruined everything and I can't see them disbanding that any time soon!

Oh well onwards to Russia 2018. No doubt that'll be a barrel of laughs on and off the pitch!

Your analysis has some credence - however to blame the players in isolation ignores the obvious, some of the players had lost
confidence in their manager and who he played, how they played and where they played - it also assumes that the squad was the absolute strongest in terms of the available options - clearly Hodsgon relied on his favourites, several were lacking match fitness and he also overlooked others who would have offered a different approach - this had possibly more influence on the players attitudes and performances - they had lost belief by the Iceland game, albeit subconsciously.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:23 pm

Interesting and informed viewpoint, Harry.

Mike, if you genuinely don't know, the bigger picture includes...

Premier League clubs being owned by foreigners, managed by foreigners and the teams populated by foreigners.
So how much are they in favour of helping our national team?
Club v country debate now almost dead in the water...Club football far more important.
Club football more susceptible to the foibles of capitalism than the international game. Money talks.
The number of people who support the e.g. Arsenal players in the Euros rather than England.
Players turning down the opportunity (honour?) to play for Under 18s, under 21s
Players being feted and rich beyond most peoples dreams by the age of 18, and associated arrogance.
Please read the small print in the 'home grown' players legislation....the EPL treating the country as mugs.
They say, on the one hand that the policy is to improve the quality of players available to the English team, yet they don't say 'home grown' need to be English?
Why do the players underperform so badly under various managers at various tournaments?Only 1/3 of players starting EPL matches are English - and the vast majority of those will be in the worst teams.
Top teams buying up all young talent, then loaning it out to FL teams.
School age kids being pressurised into winning by coaches, parents rather than having time to learn skills.
Kids not out playing in the streets or in fields - compared with kids in warmer climates.
Have we got a coaching system and infrastructure, the number of qualified coaches as comparable nations.
Maybe an arrogance in this country that 'well, we invented the game didn't we'?
Lack of steady progression through national ranks...juniors to senior team.
Even England manager under constant personal scrutiny and ends up pilloried by the tabloids. Who would want the job?
For many the only appeal is a 'final pay day' - where has any ex-England manager had a lot of success subsequently?
A glance at the latest betting shows Southgate - and the rest, who you can divide into either 'unappealing' or 'unobtainable'.
Sky TV. If its not on Sky it doesn't get the power of their marketing push. Sky don't have WC or Euros.

An England manager doesn't get appointed if he is rubbish. However, how many managers have had little success with England - almost all of them. Mega salaries attracted Eriksson and Capello who were the most successful managers in Europe. Shouldn't you start thinking , well maybe it isn't just about who the next manager is???

If you want to carry on sticking pins in your Hodgson effigy, carry on.