No votes
Brian Smikle (1)
53%

Total votes: 30

windsorharrier
1st team
1st team

Post by windsorharrier » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:42 pm

Smickle. Absolute legend -has gone from fringe player to regular goal scoring machine, always gives 100% and plays the game in the right way. I will be gutted if MY nicks him off us.
I agree with the spuds point though, without sounding harsh about him you wouldn't think that a potential play off contender would have him as player of the season.
the conference's finest

KHFCGeordie
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by KHFCGeordie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:02 pm

windsorharrier wrote:you wouldn't think that a potential play off contender would have him as player of the season.
Agree completely Windsor, a potential play off contender wouldn't have Smikle as player of the season. But then again, we haven't been realistic play off contenders at all this season. We are 19 points off the playoffs and 13 above the relegation zone, so points wise we are closer to going down than going up.

windsorharrier
1st team
1st team

Post by windsorharrier » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:05 pm

KHFCGeordie wrote:
windsorharrier wrote:you wouldn't think that a potential play off contender would have him as player of the season.
Agree completely Windsor, a potential play off contender wouldn't have Smikle as player of the season. But then again, we haven't been realistic play off contenders at all this season. We are 19 points off the playoffs and 13 above the relegation zone, so points wise we are closer to going down than going up.
Yep, that was my point....same as spuds really...the fact that Smickle is POTS isn't a good thing, even though he is a legend.
the conference's finest

KHFCGeordie
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by KHFCGeordie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:28 pm

And what is worse, I expect the likes of Smikle, Baker, Courtney etc to be heading off in the summer to be replaced with cheaper, less experienced options from lower down the leagues. I am struggling to square this with us being serious about challenging for the play offs next season.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Not voted, as no one has really deserved the recognition of POTY as far as im concerned

Smikle- clubman maybe, but loses points as hes reportedly refusing to sign a contract, when its patently obvious to anyone he's at the top of his potential in the BSP- any league 2 side taking a risk on him will simply see him warming the bench next year.
Baker- okay when hes played but blotted his copybook for me with that silly sending off at Fleetwood.
Knights- always a square peg in a round hole, infuriating as much as hes inspiring.
Bennett- simply got his head down and got on with the job; is that enough to make him POTY?

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:23 pm

What the hell has some rumour got to do with how Smikle's played this season? Hardly any club would have an award if that was the case, all a bit childish. Think you're all being a bit harsh on Junior, in a better team he'd get even more goals / assists. Apart from Stevenage and Luton how many clubs have really stand out players. The likes of York and Rushden would probably love a goal scoring/creating attacking midfileder like Smikes. Good luck to the lad if he moves on and I hope he does well.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:13 pm

I'm with Garth on this one - Smikle has improved the last two seasons, from being a potentially exciting prospect to delivering some of that potential, however whether he has the natural ability to progress any further I somewhat doubt, his first touch is average, his ability to spot the killer pass is less so and he very rarely tackles, yes he scores goals but his conversion ratio to chances is suspect.

BSP is his level

Lord K
I've seen over a 1000 games so far
I've seen over a 1000 games so far

Post by Lord K » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:29 pm

So did anyone else find the system devised for voting poor?

I personally intend to take this up with Pershore Harrier when i see him, as it really upset me

dastrix
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by dastrix » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:35 am

I AGREE

with garth bennett got my vote , although i did think it was between baker and bennett

Big Dunc
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Big Dunc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:54 am

If 'Bakes' is seriously our player of the season we really are in trouble.

For me it would be Smikle.

KHFCGeordie
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by KHFCGeordie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Lord K wrote:So did anyone else find the system devised for voting poor?
Yes, it was rubbish, didn't see anything outside the ground. Luckily they brought a box into the bar at half time so I got to vote. It was a lot better organised last year, there was a table where you could vote as you came into the ground as I remember. Hardly rocket science, but seemed effective......

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:49 pm

What the hell has some rumour got to do with how Smikle's played this season? Hardly any club would have an award if that was the case, all a bit childish. Think you're all being a bit harsh on Junior, in a better team he'd get even more goals / assists.
Cant disagree with that more; his degree of technical ability is BSP standard at best, and for Sheringham-esque footballing brains how many times when he has to think quickly in an attacking situation- he's made the wrong decision?
Not to diss the lad, but this level is his standard and thats easy for all to see.
I'd keep him on next year no problem, but its him who's off where the trams dont run if he thinks he's going to walk into a League 2 squad and start more than 10 games. If he goes for the money well thats up to him......

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Utter drivel. So if granted an opportunity to play at a higher level he should ignore it and stop here and die never knowing??!!! Crazy, of course he should test himself and if a manager gives him that opportunity I think I'd trust their judgement more than yours! Still fail to see how an attacking midfielder in an average side who has scored and created 20+goals shouldn't be given player of the season just because given the opportunity he would like to test himself at a higher level. We're talking about moving up a league not into the Premiership, sometimes our fans forget that and think we should have the perfect player at Kiddy!

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Point 1- yes if he wants to go to a higher level fine, thats what he pays his agent for. But unltimately whats better- warm the subs bench for two years and the odd subs' appearance in the Carling Cup or regular first team football at a lower level?
It saddens me when players can't see that; they spend two years wasting away their playing career in League 2 ( albeit it on good wages) and then the penny drops and they do too- into the BSP where they could have been all along.

Point 2- As for POTY; on the pitch Smikle's not been good enough to get it; full stop. Hes a credit to the club off the pitch , so i got no issue with clubman of the year, yet on the pitch, nope sorry.

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Point 1 - how can a player NOT take the opportunity to have a crack at league football. It's the only place to be as a player, if it doesn't work out at least he tried it. MBH moved to Luton in the BSP and I don't even have a problem with that.

Point 2 - Most minutes on the pitch, most assists, most goals. In my book that puts him head and shoulders above any other serious contender this season for contribution. Perhaps he should do a few more fancy flicks and wave to the crowd a bit more.....