No votes
Brian Smikle (1)
53%

Total votes: 30

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Most people pick player of the season after only witnessing half (at most) of the club's matches.

Smikle should get it. There is no-one else stand out.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:07 am

Point 1 - how can a player NOT take the opportunity to have a crack at league football. It's the only place to be as a player, if it doesn't work out at least he tried it. MBH moved to Luton in the BSP and I don't even have a problem with that.
MBH has NOT had a crack at League football though- he's been a sub most of his time at Luton.....albeit paid 3 times what he got here........only he knows if thats worth it personally! You really should have used Russ Penn as an example...!
Lets have your suggestion then on whos gonna come in and give Junior a shot at the 'big time'? Cheltenham? Hereford? ....dont make me laugh..... :cool:
if he's got any sort of sense of pragmatism he knows he's better off where he is.
Point 2 - Most minutes on the pitch, most assists, most goals. In my book that puts him head and shoulders above any other serious contender this season for contribution. Perhaps he should do a few more fancy flicks and wave to the crowd a bit more....
Fine, its your book, you vote for him. I'm not, cos in my book , and hes not done enough.......

Marcus Garvey
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Marcus Garvey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:47 am

I used MBH purposely because like Creights, you can better yourself even by stopping in the BSP! I think you'll probably find MBH has suffered due to the terrible personal situation he has suffered with his father dieing. Ask MBH after he scored the winner against Stevenage where the better place to be is.

As for Smikle, the chance of league football would mean I'd choose any club over signing a new contract at Kiddy especially after the Chairman's optimism for next season. I think Smikle deserves a chance.

After Smikle who else seriously though for the award?

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:04 am

Exactly - if not Smikle, then who else?

If Smikle, or any player, is offered a chance to play in the league and what is probably a significant pay rise then of course they should/would take it. The rest of us may have doubts as to their ability but a player will have confidence in his own ability and will always wonder "what if" if they say no.

Okay, they may be a bit part player and end up back in the BSP. All credit to those people and players in life who don't take risks, stay loyal etc.

sprials
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by sprials » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Smikle
youth team....THE WAY FORWARD

grassroots is where it all starts, support it before it's too late

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:19 pm

You'll all be getting your chance to put your 'money' where your mouths are later because I'll be posting up the Player of the Year poll on this thread tonight. There'll be a slight change to the title too.

Give me a hour or so.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:44 pm

I've now added the PotY 09-10 to the start of this thread.

The vote should be based on how many times each player has won the MotM award.
Because of the amount of people that think Brian Smikle should be the official PotY then I've also included him even though he has only actually won once so far this season.

The figure by each players name is the times that they have won. In that case Darryl Knights should win it hands down then :???:

The vote will last for 30 days.

Howww Much!!!
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Howww Much!!! » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:00 pm

I wasnt even aware a vote was taking place at the ground.
If however it is like the votes that used to take place on the coach, the result was decided before the vote!

Any one but .....K....

Pie in the Sky
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Pie in the Sky » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:15 am

Knights has won more MOTM's because he's stood out in more matches - Smikle however has been consistently good in 40+ games. Knights has had as many bad performances as he has had great ones - Smikle hasn't had (m)any bad games.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:54 pm

I used MBH purposely because like Creights, you can better yourself even by stopping in the BSP!
But the gist of your argument was that Junior ought to be allowed to try and better himself in league 2.
Creights and MBH we got fees for too.

Who in this league would offer that much more for Smikle personally than KHFC?
if he wants to up sticks out of the midlands fair enough, but if any of the top 8 BSP teams did fancy a punt on a 2 year contract and incresd wages for him, likelihood hes not going to be playing regular first team football.

steve555
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by steve555 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:47 am

I would build next years team around Darryl Knights. He is easily and undisputabley our classiest player. As soon as I read a comment suggesting he can only be played " in the hole" or "on the wing" in a 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1 I immediately think of forum posters stuck on their pro evoulution.

Look back ,any of our total footballing displays over the last couple of years have involved Darryl Knights. Horses for courses. Im one of those who would have taken Beck in 2004 to preserve Kiddys league status. Many declared they would quit supporting Kiddy..... I sincerely hope none of those would want Darryl shipped out.[hr][hr]

As per usual, check opponents opinions. If Darryl came to Kiddy with someone else we would all be demanding to know why we couldn`t sign a similarly influential player.

HarrierN
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by HarrierN » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:14 pm

surely our major "total football" performance of the last two seasons was the 4-2 home win against Stevenage? all four goals were scored after Knights left the pitch and Brittain came on...

i really don't understand the scorn that Smikle is getting from some quarters. he's scored a fantastic number of goals from midfield (enough to be regarded as successful if he was a forward), he's a 100% player and he's constantly improving...

two years ago people would have predicted that he wouldn't ever make the Harriers first team so it's pretty questionable to predict that his ongoing development as a football player is now over.

it's going to be sad to lose him but on what basis would he stay at the club? next season offers two
possibilities :

- Steve Burr brings in a clutch of fabulous lower league players and our glory days return
- Steve Burr brings in a clutch of lower league players who don't prove up to the job and we finish mid-table or worse...

who amongst us would stake serious money on which way it will go? why should Brian Smikle stake the development of his career on it? good luck to him, he's done nothing but play his heart out for us.

steve555
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by steve555 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:11 am

HarrierN wrote:surely our major "total football" performance of the last two seasons was the 4-2 home win against Stevenage? all four goals were scored after Knights left the pitch and Brittain came on...
A real cheap shot if ever I saw one.

2 years ago most thought Smikle would be the next Simon Brown. Clearly he wasn`t.

Darryl is about 4 years younger and can control and cross a ball.

I love B.Smikle to bits but could never highlight his technical ability at the derision of Darryl Knights.

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:21 am

steve555 wrote:
HarrierN wrote:surely our major "total football" performance of the last two seasons was the 4-2 home win against Stevenage? all four goals were scored after Knights left the pitch and Brittain came on...
A real cheap shot if ever I saw one.

2 years ago most thought Smikle would be the next Simon Brown. Clearly he wasn`t.

Darryl is about 4 years younger and can control and cross a ball.

I love B.Smikle to bits but could never highlight his technical ability at the derision of Darryl Knights.
It certainly helped that day by Stevenidge being reduced to ten men when 2-0 up, Brittain came on and had the freedom of Aggborough on the right wing. Penn,Richards, MBH, Creighton and Bartlett all departed from that match.

The Darryl Knights situation reminds me of the comments of an Albion supporting mate about twenty years ago when they were in the third tier of of league football, they had Gary Bannister playing for them who was be far their best player but it didn't work that often because he was on a different wavelength to most of the rest of their team.

HarrierN
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by HarrierN » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:58 pm

i'm not slagging Daryl off, i like him. and it was only an observation about the Stevenage game.

i don't see the point of setting a debate up with Knights vs Smikle. mainly i just think that Smikle has had a great
season for us and i don't see why he couldn't score goals at a higher level. i actually think that Knights might
do better at a higher level too.