Callum Gittings
No votes

Total votes: 23

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 12-04-14 Welling (H)

Post by garthrockett » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Nice to see Gash had shaken off the wingeing lethargy of previous games and actually was in the mood for a footie match.
Knock a mark off tho for selfishness not putting an unmarked Cheesy in for a goal first half.

Cheesy looked sparky for 30 minutes but thereafter, no doubt mindful of the legend of Marvo Johnson, then proceeded to perfectly emulate the man he replaced....he's not the answer, GW.

We thus continue to see the usual lop-sided 4-3-3; deja vu for Wrighty, who was played out of position during his entire initial spell at the club, though he caused a few issues early on in the game.

I suspect Gitto was not risked for a full game today with Tuesday in mind- we looked far more pacy with him on, although Bell did nothing wrong and was our best midfielder first half.

No marks to the muppets in the East stand who started barracking O Keefe after one misplaced pass, then after being told to shut up and get behind the team, proceeded to issue ironic cheers everytime he played the ball.

Not that there was much to play for given all the other results went against us, but roll on Tuesday!
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Welling we're poor. We were just as first half IMO. Boring football. 4 3 3 again employed, lacked width. Funny how we started looking better then wright went off for ams, gitto had a decent impact. Chessy for me is purely an impact sub only, he faded after a good first 20mins.

O Keefe should have had the pen, yet another piss poor pen missed when we have a decent penalty taker in o Keefe (scored plenty for hereford from the spot).
Looked better when we looked to go 4 4 2 with big boss along side gash. Gash did well, o Keefe did ok don't see why he got slack he did ok he's no jackman or storer but he did ok. Dunkley n grimes did well. Sooner wright goes back the better IMO. Bell looked a lot better than last sat. Anyone know where Malbon was?

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:42 pm

tonythescout wrote:Welling we're poor. We were just as first half IMO. Boring football. 4 3 3 again employed, lacked width. Funny how we started looking better then wright went off for ams, gitto had a decent impact. Chessy for me is purely an impact sub only, he faded after a good first 20mins.

O Keefe should have had the pen, yet another piss poor pen missed when we have a decent penalty taker in o Keefe (scored plenty for hereford from the spot).
Looked better when we looked to go 4 4 2 with big boss along side gash. Gash did well, o Keefe did ok don't see why he got slack he did ok he's no jackman or storer but he did ok. Dunkley n grimes did well. Sooner wright goes back the better IMO. Bell looked a lot better than last sat. Anyone know where Malbon was?
I thought Harriers looked good for the first 20 minutes or so - passed it around on the floor, also thought Wrigthy played much closer to Gashy, in more of a 4 4 2 ?

Not sure I would have trusted JOK with the penalty though - and I wouldn't say he did OK - exactly.

Rumour only - but I was told Malbon is unlikely to figure again .
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

HarrierClemo
Youth team
Youth team

Post by HarrierClemo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Well Done Harriers! The play off dream is not over yet.

Not too much to criticise today however I do feel we played better against Grimsby. I wish we started a bit faster. Let's face it, Welling played poor, no threat whatsoever. Think we'll have a big shock come Cambridge Tuesday.
Being O'Keefe's biggest fan (as most seem to want him out the squad) didn't have his best game. 50% passes reached their target. Skyed a shot over the bar. However playing better than when first arrived. I would definitely like to see him next year. Personally I would have told lazy boy AMS "No, you're not taking the pen" and given it to O'Keefe first, Gash second.
AMS was better today, possibly due to wasting the penalty, too close to keeper.
Byrne and Wright also didn't have one of their better games. Didn't offer anything meaningful. Byrne's first half was better than second.
I was really happy to see Chizzy on from the go but may have lacked a little confidence. I still wouldn't have subbed him though. Just wasn't one of his better games.
Not too much to fault with Vaughan although some passes went begging. Due to his recent flawless play is possibly why we expected him to do better.

Now for the good... Amari Bell! Confidence on the ball is top class. Great touch whether in midfield or defence. I would want GW or whoever is in charge next season to secure him on another loan spell.
If Demetriou had continued his first half display he would have been my MOTM. Gittings! Super-sub of the day. His effort, control and cross to Blissett was faultless. His attacking nature makes him a joy to watch. Would like to see him start for Cambridge. Dunkley is getting back to his best. Strong play and successful in passing. Oh what Bliss for Bliss. Would like to see much more of him!
It was a struggle today deciding my MOTM between Gash and Bell but everything Gash did today was spot on. Goal, holding onto the ball, passing, work-rate, shots on goal. One of his best games this season.
It may all change Tuesday against high-flying Cambridge however if we can increase our want to win from kick-off and Cambridge resting players it could be another win. There's only hope...
Last edited by HarrierClemo on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Mike o Keefe scored plenty of penalties for hereford, bar Lolley I've not seen us have a confident and consistent penalty taker for past two seasons now.

Shame re Malbon but he is no where near the required level of fitness. If he'd have carried on from where he left off last season I think he'd be at a league one club. Instead he's apparently being shipped off by a bsp mid table side

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Post by centreforeword » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:11 pm

I think Cheesy is a class act. He often beats defenders with ease and can create something out of nothing.

O.k., there are periods when he is a bit anonymous but a match-winner nonetheless in my view and if he enjoys a good run of form he will catch the eye of scouts and end up playing at a higher level.

Great loss if he is not with us next season.

centreforeword
1st team
1st team

Post by centreforeword » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:12 pm

tonythescout wrote:Mike o Keefe scored plenty of penalties for hereford, bar Lolley I've not seen us have a confident and consistent penalty taker for past two seasons now.

Shame re Malbon but he is no where near the required level of fitness. If he'd have carried on from where he left off last season I think he'd be at a league one club. Instead he's apparently being shipped off by a bsp mid table side
You must mean Josh O'Keefe not Mike

Gezzie
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Gezzie » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:42 pm

It's clear Gittings has to start on Tuesday. He runs at the opposition and generally in the direction of the opposition goal.

I don't understand why people say they want to see O'Keefe here next season. He has offered nothing in midfield and has justified HUFC fans' view of him. However, he is a known penalty taker, as is Gash. Why did one of them not take the penalty?

It took a long time today to move to plan B. Welling had no intention of moving players into the KHFC half and for a lot of the match we had four or five at the back to Welling's one or two.

The Welling fans we spoke to were just delighted by retaining Conference football and were quite clear that they had no player who would be likely to catch the eye. We also were asked to explain why Burr was sacked, why Lolley went for the money he did at the time he did, why the last manager was appointed and why Fowler left. We were unable to answer any of these questions.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:37 pm

tonythescout wrote: Chessy for me is purely an impact sub only, he faded after a good first 20mins.
https://twitter.com/ciss07/status/455071509393203200

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:35 am

I think wingers at Kiddy tend to get very short thrift, with a lot being expected from them. It's typical of wingers to drift in and out of games but it seems like fans here expect them to constantly go past players and/or constantly deliver pin perfect crosses. At this level this ain't gonna happen.

I think people expected this of Marvin and now Cheesy, who is only just back from injury.

Second game in a row today where going 4-4-2 marked when things started to go right. Will the penny finally drop?

KHFCmatt
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by KHFCmatt » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:27 pm

Welling were probably the worst side I've seen this season along with the Tamworth away game - however you can only beat what's in front of you. One of the main negatives from todays game was our finishing/decision making - absolutely awful as we should've been out of sight at half time with the amount of chances we had.

Surprised that Gitto didn't start who for me is up there for POTS and it showed the difference he can make when he came on, a step above the rest of the team with a spark of creativity. A lot of people are saying Gash had a good game, yes ultimately he held the ball up fairly well - but he does this most weeks. However I'm starting to get frustrated with how slowly he moves the ball and I think this could be to our own detriment where our attacking plays are slowed down by the ball going in to Gash. One massive mistake from Gash was not to square it to Cheesy who was completely open to have a free shot on goal late on in the first half but decided to go for a shot which was blocked by the only defender between the two of them.

Bell MOTM for me - absolute class on the ball, happy at either LB or LM, hard to remember him losing the ball all game. Yes he had a fairly easy game in terms of the oppo, but he's very comfortable on the ball and looks a step above most. Would be a great addition if we can get him here next season, reminded me of Blackwood but better.

Bigfoot
1st team
1st team

Post by Bigfoot » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Welling were nothing special but made us play to get through them.

We miss the confident Storer and Jackman so O'Keefe is only there as a back up. Gittings showed why he should play with his determination to get to the ball prior to a perfect cross for Blissett to score.

We were not dynamic enough when Wright was on the pitch. Cheesy showed flashes of what he can do and given a full season, he can be good for us.

Will be tough on Tuesday though.