Callum Gittings
No votes

Total votes: 28

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 20-09-14 Grimsby (H)

Post by ograzebrook » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Hartleburyharrier wrote: "Defensively I think Hodgkiss and Nicholson are better than their predecessors".

:rolllaugh:
I think they are better too - defensively... going forward, that's a different matter. Attacking full back has pro's and con's.

KHFCmatt
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by KHFCmatt » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:32 am

Nicholsons' delivery is the best we've had at the club for some time.

andrewb
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by andrewb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 am

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:20 am

The video shows (at the very start) the one slight error from Growler in the game, who thought the ball was going out and hesitated on covering the wide man - I presume because Hodgkiss was crocked he couldn't get back - this was the first phase leading up to the goal but maybe it was naive of Hodgkiss to try and play on - he should have gone down initially and stayed down to get subbed.

But I guess players think they can 'carry on',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll:

It was a well taken goal but nevertheless it could have been avoided IMO.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:54 am

An entertaining game I thought and perhaps a draw would have been a fair result but I think that whilst we look effective and decent when the score is 0 - 0 once we go behind we suddenly become clueless and just seem incapable of recovering.

I am however, really pleased to see the continued excellent performances from Marvin who last season seemed to have lost his way and desire. This season the man we all knew he could be. Ripped the Grimsby No. 6 apart first half but in the second half when he switched wings it was not quite the same but without him we would lose much of our limited creativity.

Marvin Johnson MOTM for me.

steve555
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by steve555 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:58 am

The last time I saw a refereeing performance as utterly inept as that was away to Nuneaton a couple of years ago. Guess who.

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:36 pm

I thought that was the same referree. Dreadful in both games only against Nuneaton he actually cost us the game.

Pershore thats why you must really question GW. Why would you possibly switch Johnson in the second half? Baffling.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:55 pm

Tamworth Harrier wrote:I thought that was the same referree. Dreadful in both games only against Nuneaton he actually cost us the game.

Pershore thats why you must really question GW. Why would you possibly switch Johnson in the second half? Baffling.

Perhaps so - but I recall asking why we had a left winger who was played on the right wing and was told that was the 'fashion' - confuses me that's for sure.

As for questioning GW he is without doubt a far better Manager than I would make but I do find some of the tactics baffling . 3 defeats though in 4 games - the next 2 games are going to be crucial in arresting the slide.

KHFCmatt
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by KHFCmatt » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:28 am

Hartleburyharrier wrote: " and when he did he probably gave it away "

That sounds as if you don't really know. Well I do, and I don't think he did. Admittedly, he is not the most gifted midfielder, but he plays the simple ball to a team mate, he obviously knows his limitations, unlike some, who try 40 yarders, only to see them fly into touch, and then berate their team mates for not trying.
Well.. I'm saying probably because I can only recall him having about 10 touches of the ball which all seemed to go to the opposition - however I have had way too many beers since then, lets just say his performance was dire and I didn't exactly spend all game taking stats of who passes to who and how many of them are completed or not.

We don't have anyone in the team anymore that really tries these 'hollywood balls' since Fowler has moved on, however I would much rather watch/play with someone who's looking to be positive and make things happen. We have Storer, Byrne and Grimes in midfield currently, which none of them are really players that can unlock teams with a through ball, or really create many goal scoring opportunities. Okay Storer has a few assists this season which I would assume have all come via deliveries of a corner?

stats found here > http://www.espnfc.com/english-conference/27/statistics/assists

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:56 am

KHFCmatt wrote:

That sounds as if you don't really know. Well I do, and I don't think he did. Admittedly, he is not the most gifted midfielder, but he plays the simple ball to a team mate, he obviously knows his limitations, unlike some, who try 40 yarders, only to see them fly into touch, and then berate their team mates for not trying.
Well.. I'm saying probably because I can only recall him having about 10 touches of the ball which all seemed to go to the opposition - however I have had way too many beers since then, lets just say his performance was dire and I didn't exactly spend all game taking stats of who passes to who and how many of them are completed or not.

We don't have anyone in the team anymore that really tries these 'hollywood balls' since Fowler has moved on, however I would much rather watch/play with someone who's looking to be positive and make things happen. We have Storer, Byrne and Grimes in midfield currently, which none of them are really players that can unlock teams with a through ball, or really create many goal scoring opportunities. Okay Storer has a few assists this season which I would assume have all come via deliveries of a corner?

stats found here > http://www.espnfc.com/english-conference/27/statistics/assists
Agree 100%. All three are 'spoilers' - there to harry the opposition, break up play and then give the simple pass to the creator or team mate to 'see a pass' - and thereby hangs the flaw - currently that type of player is benched (Gitto & Verma).

So what you end up with is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lost possession or the ball going backwards to the defence and then lumped forward, resulting more often than not in lost possession.
So a vicious circle ensues,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,midfield runs around a lot wins the ball - then loses it again and then runs around a lot etc etc.

Of course the midfield needs that sort of player, granted ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but not three!!

The scenario is compounded second half by the lack of mobility and movement of Byrne who struggles after HT.

There is no doubt the midfield is not working as a constructive unit, and the whole team rely's on MJ to supply the necessary, when he gets on the ball.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:58 am

redandwhitemike wrote:
KHFCmatt wrote:

Agree 100%. All three are 'spoilers' - there to harry the opposition, break up play and then give the simple pass to the creator or team mate to 'see a pass' - and thereby hangs the flaw - currently that type of player is benched (Gitto & Verma).

So what you end up with is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lost possession or the ball going backwards to the defence and then lumped forward, resulting more often than not in lost possession.
So a vicious circle ensues,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,midfield runs around a lot wins the ball - then loses it again and then runs around a lot etc etc.

Of course the midfield needs that sort of player, granted ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but not three!!

The scenario is compounded second half by the lack of mobility and movement of Byrne who struggles after HT.

There is no doubt the midfield is not working as a constructive unit, and the whole team rely's on MJ to supply the necessary, when he gets on the ball.
:like: Totally with you guys on this!

KHFCmatt
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by KHFCmatt » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:40 pm

Whilst these issues continue to be flagged up, we do not have the money in the coffers to be able to bring anyone else in. One player I was really hoping to see at the Harriers after leaving Macclesfield was JP Kissock as he's the sort of player we're lacking I feel, however it looks as if he's after a pay packet more than anything else as he's joined Whitehawk.

So we are made to endure what we have currently - however I just think there are better players at GW's disposal than to continue using the trio of midfielders we have mentioned.

vivacollito
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by vivacollito » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:06 pm

redandwhitemike wrote:
KHFCmatt wrote:

Spot on Mike, I couldnt agree with you more. This midfield 'plan' has cost us several points already in the first 11 matches. How long before GW sees what we all see..

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:59 pm

vivacollito wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
KHFCmatt wrote:

Spot on Mike, I couldnt agree with you more. This midfield 'plan' has cost us several points already in the first 11 matches. How long before GW sees what we all see..
I'm not holding my breath - however with Grimes injured (apparently) GW has to change personnel.

It will be interesting to see which twosome starts against Woking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,eeny meeny miny mo :roll: