No votes

Total votes: 8

brumkidd
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: 23-04-16 Dover (H)

Post by brumkidd » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:21 pm

I'll be renewing mine too.

Since I started attending games at Aggborough in 1999, purely as an interested neutral, this club has got into my guts and I simply cannot imagine doing anything else on a Saturday afternoon.

I am, perversely, looking forward to life in the 6th tier.
It is only a matter of time before those good people at the National Lottery give me the jackpot that I so richly deserve.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Lancaster and I will be renewing our season tickets and wish Eustace & Co. all the very best to provide us with some entertaining competative football matches to watch. We do not expect to be promoted at the first attempt although that would be fantastic but just hope we have something to genuinely support out of desire and not just out of duty.

Neurotic Norman
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Neurotic Norman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:25 pm

I'm out of here. :evil:
I'm a bag of ****** nerves

Badger
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Badger » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:24 pm

pershoreharrier wrote:Lancaster and I will be renewing our season tickets and wish Eustace & Co. all the very best to provide us with some entertaining competative football matches to watch. We do not expect to be promoted at the first attempt although that would be fantastic but just hope we have something to genuinely support out of desire and not just out of duty.
:like:

I have renewed my season ticket and hope that we continue to try and play football like today, I can't believe that Dover are in the play offs , they are almost as bad Barrow, to all those. Who take the piss and slag off Gordon, I really would not want to watch the s**t that Dover serve up . I like it when keep the ball and look to pass and get in behind our opponents not just play it forward and hope that a 5ft forward is going out jump and muscle a 6ft + centre half, it won't happen!!!!!

One other thing that was one of the worst referring performance I have seen ever, should have been a red for their forward two footed and out of control and the ref waved play on. Jesus Christ I am not sure what the ref deems as not under control .

I think that we deserved to win today. Playing the right way.
"Have more than you show, speak less than you know." - Shakespeare

brumkidd
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 23-04-16 Dover (H)

Post by brumkidd » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Dover were limited in their approach but look where they are in the table and compare it with our position. Horses for courses and they seem to hit upon a version of the beautiful game that brings them success. It can't all be good fortune. I suspect that a vast majority of kiddy fans would happily swap places with them even if it meant watching what they serve up.
It is only a matter of time before those good people at the National Lottery give me the jackpot that I so richly deserve.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:12 pm

At risk of the usual suspects calling me 'negative', I thought the second half was a great example of footballing masochism. Without the enjoyment.

It's all well and good having this 'philosophy' but when Dover eventually cottoned on to us insisting to play the ball out from the back at every single opportunity, why did we not immediately change our tact? Instead we carried on, leading to a couple of Dover chances. Mix it up, keep the opposition guessing, it's a good idea and different to use your defenders to take the ball out at this level, but at the same time, they're not technically gifted and when anything ad nauseum, it will stop working. You need to be flexible with your principles, otherwise the opposition will suss you out by half time.

A must-buy next season is a target man, again, playing a false-nine in the Premier League for Pulis, or McLaren or any of Colin's other clients might work - but trying to have players do that at this level does not work, and I suspect never will.

We seemed to be very good at getting the ball 30-40 yards from goal, passing it about sidewards a few times with no penetration and then hoofing it over the bar, I seem to recall both Fane and Lowe doing so in the second half. There's no incisive passing, there's no inventive runs or balls, it's all too predictable.

Dover did have a game plan, but I don't think they were the long-ball merchants that people seem intent on labelling them. Yes they were direct at times, but likewise they were happy to pass it along the floor, and creatively when in our final third. We seemed to lack any sort of ideas.

The opposition did seem to be physical at times, but it's difficult not to when our team's average height is about 5"8'. McQuilkin is never going to muscle anybody off the ball, neither is Elton, nor Ben nor Kinsella. There's no bite or slight bit of aggression in our side, and it showed.

As an aside, how Fané won MOTM is beyond me. He seems to not entirely be sure what he's about to do next with the ball. His dribbling skills seem to consistent of kicking the ball five yards in front of him, chasing after it, and knocking it on again. Sadly despite the physical resemblance, Patrick Vieira or Yaya Toure he's not - another player with not enough muscle or brawn.

On the plus side, great ball from Ben for the corner, and likewise the run by Keith to get onto the end of it was superb. A great set piece, something we have lacked in recent years. The weather was nice, Murdoch's pie was good and it was good to see the attendance hold up. Nice for the Dover fans to get into the play-offs, we all remember and miss that - all the best to them.

Onwards to Southport, our Conference swansong. Hopefully a win awaits.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:55 pm

I dont agree reference Dover; I thought they looked well organised and played some slick football first half.....certainly better than some "good" teams I've seen this season- including Cheltenham!
Its been an very, very poor standard in the Conference this season.

With the fear factor gone we persevered well at times , but a lack of attacking focus held us back . Ben's missed sitter at the end summed it all up really.

one major thing we lacked above all others all year ( and its a long long list......) is a wide flanking outlet when we counter-attack from our own half.....not so much an Andy Blair or Marvo Johnson, I'd settle for a Simon Russell or a Dave Hankin at the moment!

Time and again Angol and the others were pulled inside into a narrow formation and when the full backs looked to quickly release the ball its a long punt forward into acres of empty space.

Eustace will no doubt address the problem clase season. :lol: :cool:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Jonkers
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Jonkers » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:03 pm

I also don't agree re Dover their No 9 was a real handful all afternoon. I also agree the Conference has been as poor a standard as I can remember and we were relegated and could end up bottom what does that tell you.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Well I thought it was a reasonably entertaining game compared some of the dire stuff I have seen this season. Superb headed goal from Lowe. A lot of our players seem to be knocked off the ball relatively easily and I would imagine there are going to be quite a few players in opposing teams next season who will be good at that.

Season Ticket purchased for next season before the game - spend it wisely CG - another season like that we have just finished and I do not think I will be able to support your vision which will appear to be an illusion but with the cover completely removed and the misery plain for all to see.