MotM: 05-01-19 Darlington (A) Vaughan

Where you can find all the links to online match resources and Man of the Match polls

Moderator: Phil

Darlington 3 Harriers 0

Poll ended at Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Brandon Hall
No votes
Lee Vaughan
33%
Sam Austin
No votes
James O'Connor
No votes
Fraser Horsfall
17%
Ryan Johnson
17%
Declan Weeks
No votes
Russ Penn
No votes
George Waring
17%
Ashley Chambers
No votes
Kane Richards
17%
James Baxendale
No votes
Josh Heaton
No votes
Milan Butterfield
No votes

Total votes: 6

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Re: MotM: 05-01-19 Darlington (A)

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:26 pm

I think Solihull have done reasonably well prior to these new investors. I believe they won the league we are currently in at a canter three years ago. We can’t keep using the excuse of the previous owners mismanagement over three years on. We are rapidly going backwards.

Sheffield Harrier
Sponsors Milan Butterfield

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:42 pm

The big talk doesn't help CG. He toned it down in his last state of the nation with the talk of the southern league etc.

The whole balance of the team, its character, personality etc seems to be all wrong. I can accept that replacing the likes of Elton, Arthur, Zaine, Tunnicliffe and Croasdale is not easy. BUT after finishing 2nd and 4th surely we should still have been a good proposition for quality players. The ones brought in have not cut it so far. Some of them are decent players but where are the leaders? We've driven out what is a good striker at this level (6 in 9 in 2017, 23 in 45 last season) for what? I like Chambers but he misses too many. Richards not good enough. Maybe Waring will come good but he's young and its halfway through the season now. Midfield and defence just seems to be a shambles at the moment. Older players losing their legs, players not willing to put their foot in, quiet players on the pitch, not willing to take risks. The arrogance of losing the likes of Lowe and McQuilken speaks volumes. I do wonder how we are perceived amongst other clubs and players in this league. "Kiddy thought they were too good to rough it up, look at them now." Okay, we came up against Salford and Fylde in the last two seasons and a v good Harrogate side too. But this season was an opportunity that we have totally missed. No-one from the club will say it yet but surely we are just shuffling the deck now ready for next year. I know, I know, the play-offs are still within easy reach but does anyone seriously think we can get promotion????

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:42 pm
The big talk doesn't help CG. He toned it down in his last state of the nation with the talk of the southern league etc.

The whole balance of the team, its character, personality etc seems to be all wrong. I can accept that replacing the likes of Elton, Arthur, Zaine, Tunnicliffe and Croasdale is not easy. BUT after finishing 2nd and 4th surely we should still have been a good proposition for quality players. The ones brought in have not cut it so far. Some of them are decent players but where are the leaders? We've driven out what is a good striker at this level (6 in 9 in 2017, 23 in 45 last season) for what? I like Chambers but he misses too many. Richards not good enough. Maybe Waring will come good but he's young and its halfway through the season now. Midfield and defence just seems to be a shambles at the moment. Older players losing their legs, players not willing to put their foot in, quiet players on the pitch, not willing to take risks. The arrogance of losing the likes of Lowe and McQuilken speaks volumes. I do wonder how we are perceived amongst other clubs and players in this league. "Kiddy thought they were too good to rough it up, look at them now." Okay, we came up against Salford and Fylde in the last two seasons and a v good Harrogate side too. But this season was an opportunity that we have totally missed. No-one from the club will say it yet but surely we are just shuffling the deck now ready for next year. I know, I know, the play-offs are still within easy reach but does anyone seriously think we can get promotion????
All very true and in answer to your question, not a chance, we wont make the play-offs.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:53 pm

We seem to be drifting off track here.

New thread called 'The black hole'

sprials

Post by sprials » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:13 pm

interesting with 5 pages of comments only 4 people actually voted...guess there wasn't a none of the above button...
youth team....THE WAY FORWARD

grassroots is where it all starts, support it before it's too late

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:53 pm

You want to see the goals?

You really, really want to see the goals?

Oh go on then:

HarrierN2
1st team
1st team

Post by HarrierN2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:57 pm

"They passed us off the park but did absolutely nothing with it. In fact their game plan just encouraged us to press them and force them into mistakes."

That from the Darlo forum.

Feels like things are getting pretty desperate, with little hope of light at the end of the tunnel.

Mac
Youth team
Youth team

Post by Mac » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:29 pm

1st Goal - Did we play with 3 CBs and 2 central defensive midfielders? How come the punt by Mr Blobby Pub League Player find an attacking midget who has no Harrier player around him, the other attacking option (11) is also unmarked with no one tracking his run? If marked the goal was prevented and easily headed away cos he is just 5ft tall. The zonal marking rubbish played all season does not work as none take it upon themself to challenge the attacking player(s). The 3 CBs all retreat and let the striker walk it into penalty box or time to shoot / lob as in this case - GOAL. Watch the replays it has happened all season including preseason and no lessons have been learnt. Ridiculous.

2nd Goal - 3 CBs and none could deal with a straight forward corner. Are they scared of doing a Penn? Too many goals being conceded from corners so what is this full time professional team doing in training sessions?

3rd Goal - Again straight through the middle and defenders not doing basic defensive skills. No challenge - GOAL.

We were lucky they are only got 3! Hit post, Hall saves etc....

Edgar T Peaceful
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:22 pm

i) I take Mac's point about lack of challenge for the first goal, but Hall's positioning is poor, no?
ii) 3:41 - looks like a penalty to me. Score that and it's 1-1 - potentially a different game from there
iii) Lovely celebration with the ball boys etc. for the third goal :lol:
iv) Jeez, we looked technically very capable but flat and uninspired. Definitely time for a change.

HarrierN2
1st team
1st team

Post by HarrierN2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:51 pm

I've noticed the zonal marking issue from watching highlights too. Very often looks like our players are marking thin air and ignoring the opposition players.

sandman
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by sandman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:43 am

We rarely convinced defensively under NM's tenure and this has particularly cost him. Just 6 league clean sheets from 24 games and just 2 of these at home (Telford & Brackley). More goals conceded than many sides just above the relegation zone. Dire for a supposed promotion contender. Goals at the other end and form of Williams papered over the cracks for a while. The trouble is there will always come a spell when the goals dry up - but then the struggle for clean sheets continued. Will input from two defensive-minded players in O'Connor and Penn improve things? Then again NM had been a defensive-minded player. It really needs some asses kicked IMO.

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:20 pm

Just got around to watching the match highlights and, for me, just one word sums it up..... appalling! :( :( :(

pershoreharrier

Post by pershoreharrier » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:26 pm

Colgofray wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:20 pm
Just got around to watching the match highlights and, for me, just one word sums it up..... appalling! :( :( :(
I came to the same conclusion even wearing my rose tinted monocle and a patch over the other eye.