MotM: 14-09-19 Altrincham (H) Chambers

Where you can find all the links to online match resources and Man of the Match polls

Moderator: Phil

Harriers 2 Altrincham 0

Poll ended at Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Tom Palmer
No votes
Sam Austin
No votes
Correy Davidson
No votes
Rhys Williams
No votes
Cliff Moyo
3%
Ryan Johnson
3%
Declan Weeks
17%
Milan Butterfield
No votes
Ashley Chambers
40%
Ed Williams
No votes
Richard Peniket
37%
Alex Prosser
No votes
Harry Higginson
No votes
Ollie Shenton
No votes

Total votes: 35

Zorro
Sponsors Milan Butterfield

Re: MotM: 14-09-19 Altrincham (H)

Post by Zorro » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:14 pm

A great game for our boys - to a man they all played really well.

Alti looked no good because we did not let them play the way they wanted to not because they were just bad per se.

Their poor performance was not of their own making - great tactical awareness and application from our management and team today.

Badger
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Badger » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Zorro wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:14 pm
A great game for our boys - to a man they all played really well.

Alti looked no good because we did not let them play the way they wanted to not because they were just bad per se.

Their poor performance was not of their own making - great tactical awareness and application from our management and team today.
:like: :like: :like: :like: :like:
"Have more than you show, speak less than you know." - Shakespeare

sandman
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by sandman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Wow, I didn't see that coming. Altrincham were not as physical as Chester and Alfreton and they wanted to knock the ball about. But they ended up doing that pretty badly and that was largely because of how we played. Extremely hard working and a tactically astute performance. Chambers was clinical today alongside his hard work which gets him man of the match but it was brilliant from everybody. Weeks was able to get more involved and showed his quality. It definitely suits us when the opposition want to play through the midfield. We looked pretty comfortable at the back. An excellent afternoon and well-deserved first home win for JP and the players.

jamestheimpaler
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by jamestheimpaler » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Have to say that was generally excellent all round.

The first half was a lot more equal than the second. We made two blocks that otherwise could easily have seen Alty score two, and they spurned a fairly easy chance wide. We saw Williams' strike turned round the post by Tony Thompson and Peniket hit the post. Great finish from Chambers for the goal.

The second saw us assert ourselves a bit more around the pitch and nullify what Alty were able to produce. That being said, Hemmings was a thorn in our side on a few occasions.

Hulme has drawn a few comments on here (yes, he did formerly play for Salford City). A great player at this level, testament to Rhys Williams' performance in particular that his 'antics' were what left the most impression on our fans. He seemed quite isolated for them today so went fishing for free kicks - not all that different to how Ironside went about his business at times. (If we want to talk about blatant dives, though, goodness me - Ryan Johnson! :oops2: :shock:) Williams used his height advantage to take away everything from Hulme that he could.

On that note, Alty weren't tallest, biggest or more physical assertive of opposition and Peniket really excelled against them. Is it just me, or does he look a much fitter, stronger individual with a much better work ethic now than even six weeks ago? Benefits of playing full time?

Our defenders did well to just hump the ball out today - clearing when needed to alleviate pressure. Disappointing to see Moyo pick up another caution, though. From where the referee was stood I really thought this could/was going to be a red. Is that five yellows for the season now? It has to be four at least.

I have some friends who support Altrincham and they were of the view that their side play themselves a little too much in to trouble - a bit like we did under Eustace. Today they were okay doing that in their defensive third, but they really got stuck when they reached the middle third of the pitch. I cannot remember ever seeing a Harriers side be so successful in winning the ball back so high up the pitch. Yes, there was a bunch of misplaced passes, but our work rate was superb in hurrying and harassing their players. We really dominated the central zones, particularly second half and that forced them to look wide and left them open to counter attacks. My mates were also of the view that they are lacking a plan B and substitutes to really make a difference. Don't we know that feeling all too well?!

Chambers was excellent once more and Motm for me, but not purely for two well-taken goals. He has such a wonderful mentality and approach. He does get stick when he misses or makes the wrong decisions, but absolutely breaks himself for the team. Twice today he was pulled totally out of his natural position in pursuit of an Alty player - even ending up as the last man back, tracking his man. He's key to the defence and press of the whole team.

Finally - the support. After recent home games that was a real boost to see a couple hundred come along once more following the recent home attendance dip - and witness a great performance. Pleasing to see so many remain until after full time and applaud, too. Props to the Norwegians also! We have a much better Norwegian fan group than Alty :lol: https://twitter.com/altrinchamnorge?lang=en

TWG85
Youth team
Youth team

Post by TWG85 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:14 pm

Thought it was a superb performance & great result. Could've easily had a hat full if not for some poor finishing.

I was especially impressed with the defensive display. The two strikers pressing high with the rest standing off a little more, holding their shape about 35 yards out & blocking the passing lanes worked wonders. Hulme & Hancock were ineffective to the point of substitution, & the two wingers ended up drifting all over the place, but to no avail.

Offensively, I thought Peniket was an absolute colossus today. His ability in the air, his work-rate, some of his touches & dribbles down the side. Stunning & deserved a goal.

Feeling a lot more optimistic, especially with the fixture list easing off.

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:28 pm

Like others, I wasn't expecting that today.

I thought we did to Alty what other teams have done to us over recent years - press hard and high, don't allow them time on the ball and get the ball forward quickly. JP clearly deserves the credit for having done his homework on the opposition and for getting his tactics spot on. Excellent performances all through the team (still think there are one or two who still need to raise their game though), complete reversal of the poor performance against Chester.

The Norwegians were ace, hope to see them back again soon.

Let's hope for more good news on Monday (if the rumours prove true)
:comeonharriers2:

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:02 pm

jamestheimpaler wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:05 pm
....... Disappointing to see Moyo pick up another caution, though. From where the referee was stood I really thought this could/was going to be a red. Is that five yellows for the season now? It has to be four at least
3 yellows.

v Telford
v Gloucester
v Altrincham

jamestheimpaler
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by jamestheimpaler » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Phil wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:02 pm
jamestheimpaler wrote:
....... Disappointing to see Moyo pick up another caution, though. From where the referee was stood I really thought this could/was going to be a red. Is that five yellows for the season now? It has to be four at least
3 yellows.

v Telford
v Gloucester
v Altrincham
My apologies - I thought he had one against Chester, too.

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:59 pm

Went into the game expecting another disappointing result and came away shocked and delighted. Alty felt like watching us under Eutasce, can be devastating when it works but a clear lack of a plan B, we isolated Hulme and they clearly struggled. Great team performance hopefully that win is a weight off the player's shoulders, can imagine that winless run would've been playing on their mind.

Palmer - 7 - Very good performance when it came to shot-stopping, the only thing stopping me give him a higher rating was his kicking which put us in a few dangerous positions.
Austin - 7 - Great assist for Chambers (for any FIFA players out there a classic LB + Y/ L1 + Triangle) outside of the assist he defended well and went close with a few shots. At some point, he'll break his goal drought of about 3 years.
Moyo - 7 - Great captains performance, could potentially have gone for a poor challenge but recovered from it and played a great part in the clean sheet.
R Williams - 8 - Looks like the international duty did him a world of good, came back a much more assured player and completely isolated Hulme. Superb block at the end of the first half as well.
Johnson - 8 - Brilliant performance (I pray he keeps this up) covered brilliantly when Davidson ventured forward and I don't remember him letting a man passed him.
Davidson - 7 - Quiet first half but second half he really grew into the game. Looks very good when venturing forward.
Weeks - 8 - How we've missed him, controlled the midfield and didn't let the Alty midfield have a sniff. Hopefully, he stays fit.
Butterfield - 8 - Like Williams, he massively benefitted from international duty. Won so many challenges and set up a fair few attacks.
E Williams - 7 - Good first half but the Ed of a year ago would've put us 2-0 up I feel, the second half seemed to disappear from the game a bit.
Chambers - 9 - What a player, you can see how much the win meant to him at the end gonna say he definitely meant the first goal. The second goal showed great composure to calmly drive it near post with an onrushing keeper and 2 defenders charging behind him.
Peniket - 9 - Did everything but score went very close with a scramble in the second half but that was such a snapshot I'm not surprised it went wide, also hit the post from nothing late in the first half. Outside of scoring he did everything brilliantly, defended from the front and won the ball back countless times from hassling their defence, dominated in the air and just caused issues for them all afternoon.

pershoreharrier

Post by pershoreharrier » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 am

At last a performance full of quality play throughout our team where we showed effort, commitment, pace and a genuine threat in the Alty half and penalty area. We had them pinned back for decent periods and they could not get out of their own half and when they did they often lost the ball (rather like some performances we have seen in recent times from KHFC). We had the tactics spot on - another 30 + games like that this season would be the tonic we would all hope for.

MOTM Declan Weeks - ran the midfield superbly.

I shall put this performance down to the new owner bounce hopefully to be concluded on Monday.

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:57 am

Agreed. Great performance, entertainment and ….. home win at last :D . A massive 37 in the Predictions League scored at least a point from the game with 2 (Taffman and Arno's Dad) picking up the maximum 3 points by getting the score spot on and naming Chambers as our first scorer. A further 16 managed 2 points from the game by either getting the score correct, or by getting the win (not the score) and also naming Chambers. The remaining 19 managed 1 point by either getting the result correct or, again, simply naming Chambers as scorer.
This now leaves Taffman in sole position at the top of the PL with Arno! a further point behind.
As next Saturday's game is a cup match it doean't feature in the Predictions League so, as you've all been very good - I'm giving you the week off :D :D .

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:43 am

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:56 pm

jamestheimpaler wrote:
(If we want to talk about blatant dives, though, goodness me - Ryan Johnson! :oops2: :shock:)
Having seen that back on the highlights its clearly Johnson get his ankles accidently clipped and trips over, no appeals for a penalty from him or anyone else. Can't say it's a dive.