MotM: 29-03-24 Altrincham (H) Emmanuel-Thomas

Where you can find all the links to online match resources and Man of the Match polls

Moderator: Phil

Harriers 1 Altrincham 3

Poll ended at Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:22 pm

Christian Dibble
15%
Alex Penny
15%
Caleb Richards
8%
Cole Kpekawa
No votes
Krystian Pearce
8%
Charlie Weston
No votes
Zak Brown
8%
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
42%
Amari Morgan-Smith
No votes
Ashley Hemmings
No votes
Jack Lambert
4%
Sam Robinson
No votes
Gold Omotayo
No votes
Todd Miller
No votes

Total votes: 26

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 29-03-24 Altrincham (H)

Post by harry211 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:16 pm

It's one of the world's most famous tales. Christ was crucified on Good Friday, only for a seemingly-impossible resurrection on the Sunday. I think if we do beat Chesterfield on Easter Monday it could make for a similarly unlikely revival. But the odds are thin.

I had a good feeling before the game and honestly thought we would turn it around. Sadly it wasn't to be. We played the best we have done for three or four games. We should have gone two goals up in that brilliant first 30 minutes which felt very similar to that Oldham performance. We didn't, and Alty's quality showed. I don't understand the criticism of their first goal, it was a really well worked move, as were the others. I wasn't at the Gateshead or Chesterfield games but I can't remember a side moving the ball around that smoothly up front in a long time, the transitions were faultless, the ability to spin our full backs almost took your breath away. An utterly fantastic performance by them.

We missed Byrne hugely yesterday. Brown may have scored but his lack of footballing intelligence and decision making was royally shown up. A few times he got the ball and looked like a rabbit in headlights. It may work in the league below, but he's really not up to playing in the Conference next season. Charlie Weston looks a superb ball player, but he's only 19, for him to shackle Conn-Clarke would have been exceptional. I wasn't surprised that he couldn't - but it meant that together we were seriously exposed. Why was Griffiths not given a go? Injury? Hard to know from the club's lack of communication.

Pearce had a shocker of a proportion that reminded me of that infamous Gary Neville vs WBA performance just before he retired. He's spent at this level, never seemed to have a grip on Linney up front for Alty and nearly cost us a couple of goals himself. Kwepka was fine, as was Richards. Penny played at RB for the first time in a while and I think has proven to me (who long doubted it) that he's a CB not a RB now.

At the other end of the pitch, the first half was JET's world, we just happened to be witnessing it. Those touches, that movement from him, the inability for anyone to get the ball off him as he pinged it around - it was a sheer masterclass. He tailed off. AMS did his usual valiant effort, Hemmo tried to do too much and Lambert had a rare quiet game. A few times in the second half a ball was played across the area and nobody was there - once again. It's so basic and yet we struggle to do it, or to have anyone with instinct. I wonder whether Phillips could have been, or may still be, that man next season.

Surprised how late and reactive Brown's subs were. We should be proactive not reactive when chasing a game, but I suspect that Brown knew the game was gone at 2-1. Then again, why we didn't give Preston and Robinson a run out from HT was beyond me. Would have liked to see Bellis just to get some energy. I assume Hesketh etc's season is done. Shame that never worked out.

On subs: I'm never one to shy away from a bit of verbal feedback at moments of frustration during games, although I try to temper it when aimed at our own players. With Gold I have given up completely because it's completely unfair and counter productive when a player seems to be that poor. For once Garth I totally disagree with you, he had two crosses to him yesterday and fumbled both, barely jumped, didn't even try. I'm not sure whether it's a case of a player totally bereft of form or confidence, or he's just not up to it. I fear the latter, I hope for him and his career it's the former - as otherwise I can't see him getting into Stourbridge or Halesowen's team at the moment.

Yesterday was a morale shaper. It is certainly still possible to stay up. Had we won yesterday we could say we were five unbeaten. Now we're without a win in six which looks and sounds far bleaker. It's funny how a narrative can shift with just one result. Phil Brown looked utterly dejected after the game, and I can understand why. I do think yesterday basically sealed it for us, but as long as there's a chance we've got to fight for it. I hope to be proven wrong...
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:17 pm

It concerned me yesterday how isolated Penny and Richards were down the flanks. When someone like Dior Angus looks dangerous on the break something in this 'back three lark' is obviously not right.
I sensed a tension and a feeling of over complexity in the team yesterday. At times in the middle there was little difference in the sides, but Alty had that confidence and sure-footed focus on simplicity and speed that left us for dead. In contrast lambert over egged his runs and crosses, Brown took one too many touches and when JET got the ball options were limited.
If ever it was a game for a Byrne and a Leesley it was this one, Con-Clarke is not the biggest and a few industrial challenges from such a pairing would have left us in good stead. Fate, alas, had already took a hand.......
We didn't look a team drilled with a simple tactical plan they we were familiar with and comfortable playing. While Eustace had that dreaded Plan A, we didn't seem to have a plan at all.
So lots of reasons why we lost yesterday, yet lets not forget if we look at the whole season in context the real damage was done by not winning against fellow strugglers like York, Dorking and Woking.
It was in our own hands and we blew it.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:31 pm

Couldn’t make it yesterday as unable to get off work so spent the afternoon delivering groceries on the back roads between Wem and Ellesmere and fretting every time my phone pinged.

Brown gave it his best shot and gave us hope. Without that we’d be done already. Assuming we do go down there’s no way he’ll want to manage in the NLN and frankly I wouldn’t want him to. I’m hoping that Dean Holdsworth is already looking at potential managers with experience of the level. Could we coax Andy Preece from Chorley where he’s done really well on limited resources?

I’m sure there’ll be a thread soon on next season’s squad but I’d keep Dibble, Penny, Pearce, McNally, Richards (though if his agent’s any good surely he’ll be on his way), Byrne (though I’d not be surprised if he chose a club nearer home, maybe offer him assistant manager to persuade him to stay?), Brown, Lambert. No room for sentimentality so it would be goodbye and thank you enormously to Morgs, Hemmo and Matt Preston.

Here’s a controversial thought. Ox, Gold and Philips are all contracted players. All were successful at NLN level previously. Keep them and charge the new gaffer with getting the best out of them.

Big decisions about recruitment must be got right this close season. In the NLN we’ll need a mix of hardened non league bastards and some young lads keen to impress (is Miracle still doing the business?)

The idea of another seven years in that league is a prospect I can’t bear to consider.

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:25 pm

This game underlined for me a truth I have been feeling all season: there is almost nothing in common between The National League (2024) and The Vauxhall Conference when I started watching the Harriers at this level in the 80's.
We were full of fight to begin with and a few seasons ago our performance might have been good enough. But our naivety in defence and lack of pace and organisation ultimately left us looking a bit of a shambles against a very good, well organised team with a lot of pace. I don't think we ever really equipped ourselves to play in this league and yesterday it really showed. We were an over-achieving NLN side with some patchy additions and it's obvious now we are going to be an NLN side again which is sad but hardly surprising.

Grenoble Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grenoble Harrier » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:01 pm

My first ever Harriers game was at home against Kettering Town in September 1997. According to the program back then, we were in 21st place of the Vauxhall Conference. So, fast forward 27 years, and it's kind of, 'as you were'!!

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:00 pm

Harry Aire wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:25 pm
We were an over-achieving NLN side with some patchy additions and it's obvious now we are going to be an NLN side again which is sad but hardly surprising.
I think we were a bang average, probably underachieving NLN side that only overachieved for those 9 games against all the odds.

I’m an eternal optimist and still clinging to the possibility that we can escape the drop, but if we don’t, I think we have to look at this season as a real bonus (half way through last season no one would have believed we would be promoted anyway). It’s been a real dose of reality in terms of what is needed to remain and be successful in the NL. I think there was an element of naivety about the difference in class between the leagues, I certainly assumed we were a lock for a mid-table berth, clearly underestimating the level of competition. We hopefully know better now.

The NL may feel like our natural level as a club, but it has proven to be a step too far for our current squad and management over the course of the season and a serious rebuild is needed, whichever league we find ourselves competing in next season.
Last edited by Mayo on Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:31 am

Krasnyi wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:31 pm
Couldn’t make it yesterday as unable to get off work so spent the afternoon delivering groceries on the back roads between Wem and Ellesmere and fretting every time my phone pinged.

Brown gave it his best shot and gave us hope. Without that we’d be done already. Assuming we do go down there’s no way he’ll want to manage in the NLN and frankly I wouldn’t want him to. I’m hoping that Dean Holdsworth is already looking at potential managers with experience of the level. Could we coax Andy Preece from Chorley where he’s done really well on limited resources?

I’m sure there’ll be a thread soon on next season’s squad but I’d keep Dibble, Penny, Pearce, McNally, Richards (though if his agent’s any good surely he’ll be on his way), Byrne (though I’d not be surprised if he chose a club nearer home, maybe offer him assistant manager to persuade him to stay?), Brown, Lambert. No room for sentimentality so it would be goodbye and thank you enormously to Morgs, Hemmo and Matt Preston.

Here’s a controversial thought. Ox, Gold and Philips are all contracted players. All were successful at NLN level previously. Keep them and charge the new gaffer with getting the best out of them.

Big decisions about recruitment must be got right this close season. In the NLN we’ll need a mix of hardened non league bastards and some young lads keen to impress (is Miracle still doing the business?)

The idea of another seven years in that league is a prospect I can’t bear to consider.

Re Andy Preece, he's from around my neck of the woods, my ex missus used to play netball with his sister. I can remember a conversation I had with one of his half-brothers around twenty years ago when he was at Bury that Andy was happy and settled living around the Blackpool area. More chance of him being Fylde manager than Harriers I'd have thought.

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:33 am

garthrockett wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:51 pm
Don't agree on gold to be honest. He's had 3 crosses on his head all his time with us and scored from 2 and hit the bar with the other. Width and pace is the prime objective next season, along with a player who can deliver a dead ball. Massive clear out required, with us taking note of holdsworths contacts. Brown will move on and not give us a second thought. I await the appointment of gavin hurran with interest.
Is the Hurran appointment based on information received/heard or a hunch Mr Rocket?

Krasnyi
1st team
1st team

Post by Krasnyi » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:05 am

The Hurren thing can’t be serious surely? From a club looking to avoid relegation from a league below?

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:14 am

Is the Hurran appointment based on information received/heard or a hunch Mr Rocket?
Well, lets take a look at the context;

Hurran and Dean Holdsworth were a management duo until recently.
Hurran has all his technical badges and has got Stratford thus far into a potential play off place one step below where KHFC will be next term.
Hurran is a well regarded locally based ex Harrier who knows the club.
Hurran would, I suggest, be a comparatively inexpensive appointment.

Just a thought..........
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:24 am

Mayo wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:00 pm
Harry Aire wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:25 pm
We were an over-achieving NLN side with some patchy additions and it's obvious now we are going to be an NLN side again which is sad but hardly surprising.
I think we were a bang average, probably underachieving NLN side that only overachieved for those 9 games against all the odds.

I’m an eternal optimist and still clinging to the possibility that we can escape the drop, but if we don’t, I think we have to look at this season as a real bonus (half way through last season no one would have believed we would be promoted anyway). It’s been a real dose of reality in terms of what is needed to remain and be successful in the NL. I think there was an element in naivety about the difference in class between the leagues, I certainly assumed we were a lock for a mid-table berth, clearly underestimating the level of competition. We hopefully know better now.

The NL may feel like our natural level as a club, but it has proven to be a step too far for our current squad and management over the course of the season and a serious rebuild is needed, whichever league we find ourselves competing in next season.
:like:

Completely agree with this. (Except I'm a pessimist)
Sam

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:27 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:14 am

Hurran has all his technical badges and has got Stratford thus far into a potential play off place one step below where KHFC will be next term.

Just a thought..........
I would hope that we'd be looking at someone higher up the food chain with a bit of experience at our level and above to be honest, and a decent contact book :D

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 am

jim mankey wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:27 pm
garthrockett wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:14 am

Just a thought..........
I would hope that we'd be looking at someone higher up the food chain with a bit of experience at our level and above to be honest, and a decent contact book :D
Probably punted a lot on Brown and McDonald (and paying off Penn and O’Connor) so cheap is the only way to go.

SCF1985
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by SCF1985 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:28 am

Why the focus on Hurren?
I look simply at the league we’ve come out of (and are likely to go back to) for two potentially decent appointments.
Liam McDonald (who I think we should have appointed over PB) has done a divine job getting Rushall to where they are.
Another former player Michael Gash is doing OK with another overachieving club (although do we want someone who’s still a player-manager?)

Both would be reasonably cheap appointments also, and a lot more experienced about the NN that Hurren