Lee Vaughan (2)
No votes

Total votes: 48

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Player of the Season 2013-14 - Callum Gittings

Post by Phil » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:04 pm

With the end drawing ever near it's time for the end of the season vote for your Player of the Season 2013-14.

All of the MotM winners are listed along with the amount of times they've won in brackets. I'll update those as each remaining game polls end.

The poll will run for 15 days, until May 4th, but will be extended if we reach the play-offs. The only thing I can't do is add a completely new name to the poll so if by some miracle a certain ex Hereford player turns in a storming performance then he won't be added. (adding a new line in deletes the whole lot as discovered last season )

Get voting and if you want to give a reason why you voted for your choice then please do.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Player of the Season 2013-14

Post by harry211 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:49 pm

From the games I've seen this season, it's got to be Joe Lolley.

Bursts onto the scene after just finishing University and playing at Midland Combination level, puts in great performance after great performance, helps us get through to the 4th round of the FA Cup for the first time since 1994, scored a hatload of goals from all areas and earned the club a shedload of money. It's no coincidence that once he left, our season fell apart. (Although Serrell did have a huge amount of responsibility for it too).

Honourable mentions for Storer/Gittings/Vaughan who have looked solid when I've seen them.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Close between Gowling, Gittings and Gashy.

Growler didn't start the season very well but has improved as the season has gone on, but he hasn't played in recent weeks of the team's revival, so he misses out.

Super Gitto would get my vote for the most improved player of the season, even though he's totted up ten yellows - but he's edged out by Gashy - simply because he has had to play a loan striker role for the majority of the season, which he's manfully tried to make a success of without a lot of help. His goals have got Harriers to the edge of success, culminating in his goal of the season against Cambridge. In the main he has been the most consistent of the regulars.

Joe Lolley would no doubt have won the accolade had he stayed, but the prize is for Player Of the Season
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:19 am

redandwhitemike wrote: Joe Lolley would no doubt have won the accolade had he stayed, but the prize is for Player Of the Season
And without Lolley, how different would our season have been? Drastically.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Pie in the Sky
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Pie in the Sky » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:41 am

I've gone for Jackman, although it was close between him, Gash and Gittings for me. I couldn't in good conscience vote for Lolley because he left in Jan, although had he stayed he definitely would've got it.

I have to say though, I haven't been this apathetic about player of the season since the relegation year. Last year there were multiple strong POTS candidates whereas this year (even though we'll finish quite high in the table) it doesn't feel like anyone particularly deserves it. Lots of players have had "good" seasons but not (m)any "excellent" seasons (Lolley's excellent half-season aside).

Such a strange feeling/strange year.

auspice
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by auspice » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:40 am

redandwhitemike wrote:...........

Joe Lolley would no doubt have won the accolade had he stayed, but the prize is for Player Of the Season
The season began in August and ended when Joe Lolley left. He's definitely the player of this season. Nobody else gets close.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:54 pm

auspice wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:...........

The season began in August and ended when Joe Lolley left. He's definitely the player of this season. Nobody else gets close.

In all probability the season will finish next Saturday - when I last looked that was the final game ........... :roll:

All this tosh about the season finishing when Joe Lolley left, does that mean we don't go and watch Harriers after he left?

Player of the season is just that - not half a season.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Bigfoot
1st team
1st team

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:39 pm

For me , there can only be on player in this. Danny Jackman.

He has played in a number of positions, filling in for injured and suspended colleagues and every time has given his all and been man of the match in those positions. So much so that the original first choice had to sit on the bench.

He has played in 37 starts and 5 from the bench which shows how important he has been.
he wins tackles and only had 4 yellows.

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:00 am

Lolley would have won it at a canter had he still been here but my vote for player of the SEASON is Gittings. He has some on leaps and bounds this year and should be one of the first names on the teamsheet. If he continues to improve we have a fantastic player on our hands and I hope he is tied to a new 2-year deal soon.

auspice
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by auspice » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:52 am

redandwhitemike wrote:...........................

All this tosh about the season finishing when Joe Lolley left, does that mean we don't go and watch Harriers after he left?

Player of the season is just that - not half a season.
Of course it doesn't mean we stop watching Harriers after Lolley left - that ridiculous statement is complete "tosh" :lol: .

The season comprises everything from last August until next Saturday. In my opinion the player who has performed best and outstandingly during that period is Joe Lolley. It's something of an indictment against the other players that nobody else deserves the player of the season accolade.

If Michael Gash had scored a goal or more per game after joining us in January last year and his performances had almost single-handedly gained us promotion to League 2, presumably he couldn't have been your player of the season because he didn't feature before Christmas.

You have your definition, I'll stick to mine.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:01 pm

Joe Lolley for me and as far as I am concerned he played enough games for us to thoroughly deserve the title.

PeterLoader
Youth team
Youth team

Post by PeterLoader » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:26 pm

Michael Gash
Goal against Newport in FA Cup was my choice for goal of the season. He also posed for a picture with my lad outside Stadium of Light.
For me two most memorable moments of the season which was otherwise somewhat disappointing for reasons we all know!

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sat May 03, 2014 4:23 pm

The poll ends on Monday so if you haven't voted yet then get in quick.

Time is running out

DownTheLine
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by DownTheLine » Sat May 03, 2014 9:41 pm

No player has come close to having the same impact on our season as Joe Lolley did, therefore he has to be the obvious choice.

It's no coincidence that we stopped looking creative and threatening after he left!

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun May 11, 2014 10:04 am

This has now ended (well last Monday actually but I've been busy) and we have two outstanding performers way out in front with Callum Gittings just edging it over Joe Lolley.

With just the two votes between them it was very close but a worthy winner at the end of the day. Who would have said at the start of the season that Callum would sweep the board with all these accolades coming his way.

Well done Gitto. Totally deserved :scarf: :cup: :scarf: