No votes

Total votes: 28

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: 16-08-14 Dartford (H)

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:40 am

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:
PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA wrote:sadly for me this Saturdays match against Dartford will be the first home match I've missed since 1988 due to me stupidly booking V festival tickets before the fixtures came out.
luckily/unluckily due to babysitting issues I couldn't go to V festival so my 26 year run of not missing a home game goes on.

Well done, that is some record!! :clap: :worthy:

Shame though you will miss Lily !!!

Never mind :roll:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Badger
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Badger » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Colgofray wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:
Colgofray wrote:
Badger wrote:Hope we keep same side, maybe bring Gitto in for either jack or verma.

I think we will have another 3- o with bliss , dunk and Reid to score.

Attendance 2451

IMO, if you're going to chop and change midfield, then you bring in Gitto for Byrne not Verma. Verma's the most creative player we have in midfield, puts himself about and isn't afraid to put his foot in when needed. Sadly, Jack is nowhere near the player he was before his long lay-off through serious injury and goes missing during the game for long periods. I hope you're right with the score, but can't see there being anywhere near a gate of approaching 2,500 even though we desperately need the dosh through the turnstiles. Let's hope they bring more than the 14 who travelled up last season, although it was a midweek game in poor conditions just before the Sunderland match. Reading their forum - they fancy turning us over today (again!).

My your up earlier than me :lol:

I agree regarding the midfield, I think those that are knocking Arman Verma, perhaps should remember who he has to play with !!
Who ever it was who described Harriers as a "Shit Sandwich" team got it just about right!! Of course the money ran out sooner than expected for GW - he may well have lined up the midfield 'genius' that we needed - instead he goes with what he's got, which may incidentally explain the more direct approach and the use of Big Bliss up front - I agree with regards to JB - and I think although he is a favourite with GW, that his vulnerability to injury will limit his game time - I can see this season being his last with Harriers - as he is definately not the same player of three seasons ago. I would like to see Green given a run out in midfield at some point, he looked OK pre season.

But as long as Harriers are winning I don't see GW making any significant changes.

Team for me will be

Lewis
Hodgkiss, Dunkley, Gowling (c) Nicholson
Storer, Byrne Verma, Johnson.
Blissett, Reid

SUBS

Singh, Gittings, Gash, Styche, Grimes.

As for the attendance, I think a fraction over 2000, - anything above that at this time of the season (Hols) would be excellent!!
Yes, I was up early this morning Mike :grin: . I agree with virtually everything you've added here, but personally think it's time to start with Gash today (but I don't think GW will. :sad:

Why is it time for Gash?

Gash IMO is lazy , gives up , sulks, falls over looking for a pen.. Bliss was by far the best player on the pitch Tuesday night. Are you the fan in the east stand who keeps calling "for Johnny".
"Have more than you show, speak less than you know." - Shakespeare

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 16-08-14 Dartford (H)

Post by garthrockett » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:28 pm

Are you the fan in the east stand who keeps calling "for Johnny".
Nope, he's not, but I know who it is as sometimes he sits behind me (if I'm unlucky).

:rolllaugh:
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Lovely day for footie, not too hot and Dartford something of a bogey side for Harriers were somewhat slow out of the blocks and made Kiddy look Brazilesque in the first half and with a bit more luck could have been out of sight at H T - Storer & Verma bossed the midfield and we looked composed at the back to the extent that Danny Lewis could have put his feet up!! Gradually, after about and hour the opposition seemed to find some belief and our boys seemed to tire, the midfield 'disappeared' and we started to go long - but still the chances for Harriers came, but we just couldn't finish them off - then we started to get edgy, which I have to say was
exacerbated by the substitution of Grimes for Byrne - which shouted we hold what we have and Dartford were given a further boost and dominated the last 30 minutes - which IMO should never have happened - they were a pretty poor team at best - in the end Harriers had to resort to time wasting !! Harriers were at home and at the end were hanging on for a 1-0 win. Had Harriers been playing away I could have understood the tactics - but it very nearly backfired, with the chances missed near the end for the Darts.

For me it illustrated the lack of depth in the squad, which of course due to circumstances, we all have to get used to, so however frustrating the last thirty minutes were - I think we will all have to get used to it.

But in the final analysis a win is a win and it will show on the score card as another 3 points and another clean sheet ,,,,,,JUST

SCORES ON THE DOORS

Lewis..............................6 Very little to do - very quiet afternoon.
Nicholson 7 Solid game, with some precise crosses - especially first half.
Gowling 7 Won every header he went for - didn't see him make a mistake all afternoon - brilliant
Dunkley 7 Almost as good as his partner, back to his best.
Hodgkiss 7 Solid - defends well not so good going forward.
Storer 7 Very good first half, kept it simple and was better as a result - good goal - but faded later on.
Byrne 6 Had his moments early on, but tired near the end of the first half - needs a rest IMO.
Verma 7 The best of the midfield trio, good control and passing was mostly accurate, kept going well
Johnson 7 Flashes of brilliance and was more involved than sometimes the case - set up Storer's goal.
Reid 8 Ran his guts out for the cause, always looking to receive the ball, scored twice but both disallowed
intelligent leading the line and looks nailed on to score soon.
Blissett 7 Caused the Dartford defence problems all afternoon and justified his selection with a very strong performance - unlucky not to score.

SUBS

Grimes 6 Brought on to give some extra aerial strength in midfield - personally don't think he was the answer.
Gash 6 Should have been introduced earlier - didn't quite click with Reid like Bliss did.
Gittings 6 Made a difference and tried to go forward - another who should have been on much sooner as the team tired.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:38 pm

Solid first half, in fact one of the best I've seen in recent times but a very abject second half. Good performances for Verma and Storer in the middle. Gash's introduction ruined the shape of the side, Reid seems to need a player playing directly next to him like Blissett did, somebody that will run the channels but equally stand on the shoulder of the last defender. Gash going deep ruined the shape and left Reid isolated.

Jason Brown in goal for Dartford is too good for a team at that level, aside from a dodgy kick out that Blissett rightly didn't shoot from, he was fantastic and kept the score down. Aside from that the opposition will finish quite similarly to Alfreton based on their performances.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

harriershane
1st team
1st team

Post by harriershane » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Jason Brown kept them in it first half, was surprised to see his name on the Dartford wiki page when I had a look at our opponents for the day. Storer took his goal well and apart from a header which Hodgkiss cleared off the line, there wasn't much danger, up until the final part of the game. Wasn't sure that Grimes was the answer to shore up in a midfield role, if he had slotted into the backline to make a 3-5-2/5-3-2 as opposed to the 4-2DM-2-2/4-1-3-2 that seemed to happen, it could have been better, but hey, I'm just a paying punter, what do I know? :lol:

Bliss and Reid seem to have got a decent understanding and the latter again unfortunate not to score, his time will come, of this I am sure. The Darts were'nt the highest calibre of opposition, but against somewhat of a bogey team, the win is more welcome, still unbeaten and unbreached. If we have to claw and grind out, be it at home or away, then by all means that's fine by me. I'd rather pay money and win ugly than pay money and lose sexily--hell, I've come to watch my team win! That debate has been had numerous times in the past so with some luck, I haven't hit any nerves :shock:

Macc away will be a tough game, as will the visit of Chester, despite their start thus far-I imagine the former Messiah will be revved up more than usual to 'get one over us'. In any case, a solid undefeated start is always welcomed, and as we all know, a foreign concept to our club, so long may it continue!
He who dares...wins

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:07 pm

harriershane wrote:Jason Brown kept them in it first half, was surprised to see his name on the Dartford wiki page when I had a look at our opponents for the day. Storer took his goal well and apart from a header which Hodgkiss cleared off the line, there wasn't much danger, up until the final part of the game. Wasn't sure that Grimes was the answer to shore up in a midfield role, if he had slotted into the backline to make a 3-5-2/5-3-2 as opposed to the 4-2DM-2-2/4-1-3-2 that seemed to happen, it could have been better, but hey, I'm just a paying punter, what do I know? :lol:

Bliss and Reid seem to have got a decent understanding and the latter again unfortunate not to score, his time will come, of this I am sure. The Darts were'nt the highest calibre of opposition, but against somewhat of a bogey team, the win is more welcome, still unbeaten and unbreached. If we have to claw and grind out, be it at home or away, then by all means that's fine by me. I'd rather pay money and win ugly than pay money and lose sexily--hell, I've come to watch my team win! That debate has been had numerous times in the past so with some luck, I haven't hit any nerves :shock:

Macc away will be a tough game, as will the visit of Chester, despite their start thus far-I imagine the former Messiah will be revved up more than usual to 'get one over us'. In any case, a solid undefeated start is always welcomed, and as we all know, a foreign concept to our club, so long may it continue!
I think the 'winning ugly' concept has to be given greater latitude when compared to last season (for example) - simply because of the financial shenanigans pre season which must have influenced squad building- as a result I think all fans need to bite their collective tongues, when analysing performances. GW has a pretty thin squad in terms of quality

The White Snowman
1st team
1st team

Post by The White Snowman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Majestic wrote:No game is easy in this league. That remark could come back and bite you in the bum come 16:45 today! :oops:
:red_army: :red_army: :red_army:

Bigfoot
1st team
1st team

Post by Bigfoot » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:32 pm

It was good to be back today and it could easily have been a great day. A couple of offsides and a goalkeeper in form meant we only got one goal.

On that form someone will get thrashed this year. It will be a lot more difficult away from home or against teams like Gateshead and Grimsby.

Pity I'm at work for Macc and Chester, so fingers crossed we are still unbeaten when we play Gateshead.

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:59 am

Great start, still nine conceded and deservedly so. Dart ford weren't great but still are there to be beaten. Great striker by Storer. Verma looked decent today. Marv flashes of brilliance at times, beating his man and looking to create. Reid has impressed me so far and will get goals, shame his two efforts were ruled out as he deserved one. Bliss not as good as past two games but unlucky with his header. I agree he does link up better wi rid than gash. Gash just looks unfit. It's a shame, real shame as he's a great player but you have to be fit. Malbon last year, prime example, and fowler. It's a shame we started time wasting from 85mins, especially as there were then another four minutes injury time. But we dug it out in the end.

Whilds done brilliantly with what he has, depth isn't great, we lack in certain areas but we are getting results and look very difficult to break down.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:01 am

Just a further comment on Gashy's role after he came on as sub, some fans have been saying he disrupted the shape of the team and didn't offer support to Reid, who was left isolated. From about the hour mark it was obvious that our midfield had lost the control of the game in that area that they had dominated earlier on - Byrne's legs just won't last an hour any more and we were being over run by the four against two that that produced - hence the introduction of Grimes in an effort to 'stiffen' the midfield, unfortunately Storer and to a lesser extent Verma both also looked tired - as a result I think Gashy was instructed to drop deeper and chase down the ball, he certainly did a lot of running and maybe deserves some credit for harrying and chasing.

IMO Gittings should have come on first, in place of Byrne much earlier, and maybe Grimes should have replaced Johnson and kept Blissett to partner Reid for a bit longer - as he seemed to have plenty left.

I also think in view of the stamina limitations of the same midfield players being asked to play consecutive games - the bench needs another set of legs to cover - Green is the obvious answer - unfortunately that means sacrificing either Styce or Gash OR the goal keeper from the subs bench - me I would chose to go with an extra outfield player.

For me starting the same midfield against Macca next Saturday without extra cover on the bench will only produce the same second half pressure, and against better opposition we might not be so lucky.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:13 am

I thought we looked well in control first period. Shape and focus were good , while Verma showed flashes of excellence and looks another Wilde 'gem'.
His pass over the top to Reid first half was simply sublime.

That said we should have been a couple of goals to the good by the time Dartford came back into the game, principally with their double substitition.
Thereafter when pressurised we unfortunately reprised the Yates era and sat deeper and deeper, hitting long clearances to an isolated Reid.

Bliss will continue to trouble defences but his current lack of a 'killer instinct' means we wont get enough goals from him. Its not a problem at the moment but the pool of strikers have yet to get off the mark collectively. Potentially a tad worrying if the rest of the team dont step in with a few.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Richard Cranium
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Richard Cranium » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:01 pm

I partly agree with your post, Mike, but I don't think Gash going deep was an instruction because he's a sub. He always does it and it's one of my biggest annoyances about him. There were countless times last season where he'd be in a right midfield position just in front of Vaughan when it would be much more beneficial to us if he'd been on the line of their defence, harrying them and offering an out-ball if needed.
I don't mind him occasionally going deep but the amount of times he does it is just unnecessary and he rarely makes a massive effort to get forward quickly again when we start to break. Of course, an example where he did just that was his goal vs Peterborough, but often he ends up still in the midfield while we're attacking down the wing and end up with only one, smaller, target in the box.

Aobt
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Aobt » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:17 pm

I really like Blissett. His game is akin to Emile Heskey. Most people won't get him, and will bemoan a lack of killer instinct or end product. But like Mr Heskey his game was to allow those with more finesse around him to flourish. Its no shock Michael Owen was most prolific with Heskey as a partner, or England scored more and Rooney especially looked more hungry when partnered with Heskey. I see Reid and Blissett as our version of Heskey and Owen/Rooney. Blissett will never score more than 5 or 6 a season and may only actualy make 5 or 6 assists as well, but his impact and work rate will be worth 10 for the 'other' striker. Obviously Gash is a better player and a more proven goal scorer. But I don't see him and Reid making as many goals total in a partnership. Personally I think Gash is off to Peterborough, and it would be a smashing move for him. I would miss him as I feel Gash is always at his best from January, but with our finances we have to cut our cloth.

With regards the rest of the game, it wasn't vintage! But 7 from 9 I would have taken if offered on August 1st. I still get infuriated by Marvin Johnson, but he was more 'in the game' today. But he still drifts out and looks lazy. Hodgkiss and Nicholls look a really good pairing, and dare I say it offer more defensively than Demetriou and Vaughan. Grimes is not a holding midfielder, but he didn't do a lot wrong out of position. Verma is developing into a svelte and more like-able Lee Fowler. And whilst Storer remains less 'gobby', his contributions to the side are becoming more considered and nuanced, adding much to our results and game play. With regards to the tired legs of midfield We have a well rested Gittings and dare I say a certain Mr O'Keefe. He could come in and add fresh legs to a side with no discernable extra budget, He wont really make us game winners though!!!! :shock:

Life is rosey, but by September we should know if we have a chance to playoffs or if the off field idiocy will mean a solid mid-table is what we are limited too.
It is not whether you win or lose. But how you apportion blame.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Aobt wrote:I really like Blissett. His game is akin to Emile Heskey. Most people won't get him, and will bemoan a lack of killer instinct or end product. But like Mr Heskey his game was to allow those with more finesse around him to flourish. Its no shock Michael Owen was most prolific with Heskey as a partner, or England scored more and Rooney especially looked more hungry when partnered with Heskey. I see Reid and Blissett as our version of Heskey and Owen/Rooney. Blissett will never score more than 5 or 6 a season and may only actualy make 5 or 6 assists as well, but his impact and work rate will be worth 10 for the 'other' striker. Obviously Gash is a better player and a more proven goal scorer. But I don't see him and Reid making as many goals total in a partnership. Personally I think Gash is off to Peterborough, and it would be a smashing move for him. I would miss him as I feel Gash is always at his best from January, but with our finances we have to cut our cloth.

With regards the rest of the game, it wasn't vintage! But 7 from 9 I would have taken if offered on August 1st. I still get infuriated by Marvin Johnson, but he was more 'in the game' today. But he still drifts out and looks lazy. Hodgkiss and Nicholls look a really good pairing, and dare I say it offer more defensively than Demetriou and Vaughan. Grimes is not a holding midfielder, but he didn't do a lot wrong out of position. Verma is developing into a svelte and more like-able Lee Fowler. And whilst Storer remains less 'gobby', his contributions to the side are becoming more considered and nuanced, adding much to our results and game play. With regards to the tired legs of midfield We have a well rested Gittings and dare I say a certain Mr O'Keefe. He could come in and add fresh legs to a side with no discernable extra budget, He wont really make us game winners though!!!! :shock:

Life is rosey, but by September we should know if we have a chance to playoffs or if the off field idiocy will mean a solid mid-table is what we are limited too.
Found myself nodding in agreement with this post ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,until I got to the reference to JOK - OMG no !!

There is no way this guy with fresh legs or 'giraffe' legs should be anywhere near this team - showed in pre season he has regressed,,,,,,,,,yes he is worse than last season, difficult to grasp ?

Green, in what he's shown in the friendlies is a far better option IMO, and should get a chance.