4%

Total votes: 26

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: MotM: 25-08-14 Chester (H)

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:43 pm

DonutUK wrote:
redandwhitemike wrote:I too am disappointed after that capitulation, the substitutions WERE wrong and the emphasis on defending was way too extreme - but in the final analysis - Harriers with a full compliment totally out played a very poor looking Chester in the first half and would have gone on to win that match BUT for one obvious factor -Dunkley's deliberate hand ball.

I'm a big fan of Che - but yesterday his school boy handling of the ball was unprofessional and was the real reason for the second half debacle.

Gary Whild was justifiably angry in his H & W interview afterwards.

But our midfield WAS a joke.
Irrelevant of how the defender got sent off......it was the tactics employed by the manager following that event that cost us 2 points.

The reason GW slated CD in his interview was to deflect criticism from his negative tactics and poor choice of subs.

Yes, it was a silly thing for Chey to do, but footballers do silly things.........How Storer stayed on the pitch after almost sparking a mass confrontation just after he had been booked is beyond belief. A silly thing to do.........

The 2 points lost is 70/30% down to the managers choices.......to take off our only creative player and try to defend from our own penalty area for 44 mins was naive at best, just plain stupid at worst.

I happen to think you are right, about the substitutions Johnson should have stayed on and Grimes should have swopped for Reid or Blissett. However, although GW's tactics ended up being ultra defensive and it must be said not that entertaining to watch, up to now he has achieved the results to go with the tactics - 0-0 against both Lincoln and Macclesfield in view of those teams results since would seem to be a good return.

i just hope GW might have learnt a bit from that match and 'adjust' his approach just a little!!

Still maintain Harriers would have won the game comfortably with eleven men.

Desperately need to bring in a playmaker who can hold the ball, even if it means A N Other going the other way.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:15 pm

"Those calling for Gash to start instead of Reid or Bliss don't have a clue on yesterdays evidence."

Now let's see from someone who obviously 'hasn't a clue.' Dunkley was sent off after only 42 seconds of the second half. By the time Gash was brought on (62 mins) we were already defending behind the North Stand car park playing hoof-ball. Whenever one of our defenders had the ball all they could think of was to belt the ball as far up the pitch as possible - truly embarrassing to watch. We only had Gash up front against their entire back line - what the hell do you expect of the guy? Even the likes of Ronaldo would have struggled to achieve anything with that sort of supply, but at least Gash put himself about all over the place in an attempt to get on to the ball.

With regard to him starting v Dover next Saturday, I personally believe both he and Styche deserve their chance. Bliss and Reid have been given every opportunity by starting all 5 games so far this season without either of them scoring and probably only mustering about 10 goal attempts between them. Bench warming time for them methinks.

Then again, what do I know? I'm one of those who hasn't a clue.....but at least I've got an opinion.

DownTheLine
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by DownTheLine » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:27 pm

Colgofray wrote:"Those calling for Gash to start instead of Reid or Bliss don't have a clue on yesterdays evidence."

Now let's see from someone who obviously 'hasn't a clue.' Dunkley was sent off after only 42 seconds of the second half. By the time Gash was brought on (62 mins) we were already defending behind the North Stand car park playing hoof-ball. Whenever one of our defenders had the ball all they could think of was to belt the ball as far up the pitch as possible - truly embarrassing to watch. We only had Gash up front against their entire back line - what the hell do you expect of the guy? Even the likes of Ronaldo would have struggled to achieve anything with that sort of supply, but at least Gash put himself about all over the place in an attempt to get on to the ball.

With regard to him starting v Dover next Saturday, I personally believe both he and Styche deserve their chance. Bliss and Reid have been given every opportunity by starting all 5 games so far this season without either of them scoring and probably only mustering about 10 goal attempts between them. Bench warming time for them methinks.

Then again, what do I know? I'm one of those who hasn't a clue.....but at least I've got an opinion.
Gash hasn't impressed at all during pre season or in the appearances he has made from the bench. Sooner we move him on the better.

DownTheLine
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by DownTheLine » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:29 pm

pricey5 wrote:Thought I would wait 24 hours before posting as I was not happy at all last night having watched that 2nd half and p*****g away 2 points.

If you'd have said at half time we would have been hanging on for a point at the end id have laughed in your face and insisted you see a doctor, such was complete dominance it was a surprise we weren't 4 or 5-0 up. Those chances missed really came back to haunt us big time!

It just goes to show a complete moment of madness can turn around even the most one-sided of games. Not sure what Chey was doing there, even if they had sneaked a goal back I would have backed us to create more than enough chances to win the game 11v11. Johnson had a great first half and really should have been kept on as an 'out' ball. Even the presence of him up top would have forced Chester to keep numbers back due to his pace. They would then not have had complete run of the pitch that they enjoyed for the whole second half as we inexplicably sat back and tried to defend a 2 goal lead.

Inside the final 10 minutes it looked like a combination of great goalkeeping and pure luck would see us through the inevitable happened, once they scored one there was very little hope of holding on as they threw the kitchen sink at us. It was shocking defending by us to concede with their very next attack though. Not sure what Gash brought to the table, he constantly gave the ball away and looked all over the place, again we really should have kept Johnson on instead. Those calling for Gash to start instead of Reid or Bliss don't have a clue on yesterdays evidence.

Nice to see Whild blasting the players to the media yesterday, they deserved it. We made Chester look like world champions. Onwards to Dover, a game now where im sure Whild would want an immediate response with our first away goal and win!
But surely the players only play according to their managers instructions?

Make no mistake, it was Whild's tactics that cost us.........the rest is a smoke and mirrors act to deflect that.

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:43 pm

"Gash hasn't impressed at all during pre season or in the appearances he has made from the bench. Sooner we move him on the better."

That's it! Give him a chance by judging last season's top scorer on a few meaningless pre-season friendlies and scarcely any game time since the season started. Strikers are invariably judged on the number of goals they score. Now remind me, what is the number of goal attempts and goals scored by Blissett and Reid in the 5 games they've started? I'm not knocking their efforts and commitment but, at the end of the day, we need more than that.
If you want to ship Gashie out, then at least first give him and Styche the same opportunity the other two strikers have enjoyed thus far i.e. 5 game starts! At the end of that period, I bet their goal tally will be greater than zero.

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mystic » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:37 pm

Have posted my opinion of Bliss on other threads, but assuming he is remaining with us having someone of Gash's quality on the bench while Bliss is on the pitch is criminal. He brings absolutely nothing to the team apart from running around a bit. God knows why but some poeple gave him a standing ovation when he came off yesterday, makes you want to cry into your soup.

Can't be bothered to comment on the game as will just be repeating what most other people have said!

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:37 pm

Colgofray wrote:"Those calling for Gash to start instead of Reid or Bliss don't have a clue on yesterdays evidence."

Well, anyone can have an opinion so let's not start awarding points for that! :cool:

Gash was brought on to hold the ball up, something he did very well last season. Yesterday he gave the ball away on multiple occasions hence Chester came straight back on the attack. I wasn't expecting miracles against the whole of the opposition defence but he failed miserably in even the basic things, he was not the only one though of course. There must be a reason Whild prefers Bliss to Gash and yesterday will do Gash no favours at all.

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:40 pm

DonutUK wrote:
pricey5 wrote:Thought I would wait 24 hours before posting as I was not happy at all last night having watched that 2nd half and p*****g away 2 points.

If you'd have said at half time we would have been hanging on for a point at the end id have laughed in your face and insisted you see a doctor, such was complete dominance it was a surprise we weren't 4 or 5-0 up. Those chances missed really came back to haunt us big time!

It just goes to show a complete moment of madness can turn around even the most one-sided of games. Not sure what Chey was doing there, even if they had sneaked a goal back I would have backed us to create more than enough chances to win the game 11v11. Johnson had a great first half and really should have been kept on as an 'out' ball. Even the presence of him up top would have forced Chester to keep numbers back due to his pace. They would then not have had complete run of the pitch that they enjoyed for the whole second half as we inexplicably sat back and tried to defend a 2 goal lead.

Inside the final 10 minutes it looked like a combination of great goalkeeping and pure luck would see us through the inevitable happened, once they scored one there was very little hope of holding on as they threw the kitchen sink at us. It was shocking defending by us to concede with their very next attack though. Not sure what Gash brought to the table, he constantly gave the ball away and looked all over the place, again we really should have kept Johnson on instead. Those calling for Gash to start instead of Reid or Bliss don't have a clue on yesterdays evidence.

Nice to see Whild blasting the players to the media yesterday, they deserved it. We made Chester look like world champions. Onwards to Dover, a game now where im sure Whild would want an immediate response with our first away goal and win!

Make no mistake, it was Whild's tactics that cost us.........the rest is a smoke and mirrors act to deflect that.
Well no it isn't, was it Whild that handballed on the line when we were 2-0 up and as close to cruising as possible? He made a big mistake taking Johnson off, but it came down to huge individual mistake's off players who should know better. I won't hold it against them for long though, they are conference players for a reason after all.

DownTheLine
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by DownTheLine » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:00 pm

pricey5 wrote:
DonutUK wrote:

Well no it isn't, was it Whild that handballed on the line when we were 2-0 up and as close to cruising as possible? He made a big mistake taking Johnson off, but it came down to huge individual mistake's off players who should know better. I won't hold it against them for long though, they are conference players for a reason after all.
No it wasn't.....but his decisions following that cost us 2 points.

I certainly didn't see Whild or "Harriers Legend" Creighton, screaming at the players to push up........

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:09 pm

again we really should have kept Johnson on instead.
A work mate was still at Aggy a few hours after the match and mentioned today he saw Johnson limping out after the match.....so maybe GW had no choice substitute-wise ? :shock:
Didnt he get clogged by McConnville in the first half?
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Colgofray
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Colgofray » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:20 pm

"Well, anyone can have an opinion so let's not start awarding points for that! :cool: "

No, but you win points for dishing insults out to those of us who do express an opinion e.g. "......those calling for Gash to start instead of Reid or Bliss don't have a clue on yesterdays evidence."

I tend to side with Mystic on this to a certain degree. However, I'd still like to see your response to my comment "....first give him (Gash) and Styche the same opportunity the other two strikers have enjoyed thus far i.e. 5 game starts! At the end of that period, I bet their goal tally will be greater than zero."

pricey5
1st team
1st team

Post by pricey5 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Colgofray wrote:"Well, anyone can have an opinion so let's not start awarding points for that! :cool: "

No, but you win points for dishing insults out to those of us who do express an opinion e.g. "......those calling for Gash to start instead of Reid or Bliss don't have a clue on yesterdays evidence."

I tend to side with Mystic on this to a certain degree. However, I'd still like to see your response to my comment "....first give him (Gash) and Styche the same opportunity the other two strikers have enjoyed thus far i.e. 5 game starts! At the end of that period, I bet their goal tally will be greater than zero."
Like I said 'on yesterdays evidence'. Please don't get upset until you have understood what I have actually put. For what it's worth I hope Gash he proves me wrong but he looks a shadow of the player he has been for us. I think Reid has been very unlucky to not get a goal so far. His awareness in the box is superb and once he get's his goal I would not be surprised to see him go on a great goal scoring streak, just like Malbs did a couple of seasons ago.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:24 pm

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:47 am

Most of us have had our say on this game and the ramifications of management's use of substitutions and tactics for the second half.

But I notice Sheffield has yet to offer his thoughts, regarded by many on here as a moderate and reasoned commentator with a positive outlook, I would like to hear what he has to say on the game.

Over to you Sheff.
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:56 am

Colgofray wrote:"Well, anyone can have an opinion so let's not start awarding points for that! :cool: "

:like:

I too think the combo of Reid & Blissett have flattered but ultimately disappointed - it may be that the answer is not Gashy & Styce
together, but one combined with one of the former - at least GW should be considering changing things round and being a bit more flexible - ATM he is beginning to look a little stero typed and one dimensional in his tactics - something I was very critical of his predecessor (SB). Had either Blissett or Reid scored or even had an assist, I could perhaps accept the partnership continuing.

But I do think it's now time to try a different striker duo.

Me I would go Reid & Gash for the Dover game.